IGNORED

Geneve 2 Phoenix?

slinkeey

http://tech.groups.y...4A/message/7454

quoting:

Dear All

I spoke with Gary Smith today. He's fine. He was a little puzzled at all the commotion! "Oh, I'm still here - same old same old!"

He's not done much work on the G2 lately due to pressures of work (masses of overtime) but he does intend to get back into it quite soon. He's determined to finish it, given the time and money he has invested in it.

Gary asked me to pass his best wishes on to all.

Mark

• Like 2

He's still working on it.

This from the 8th August:

"Things are going well. Too busy at work as always but it makes the days pass.

The Geneve II FPGA programming issue is solved. I had to go onto the Altera forums and spend a lot of time to fix this but it is only a small mod to the pcb so easily doable.

I have also tried to get the 9995 into the first FPGA and it is almost there from a timing point of view. To begin with the system failed by 120 ns and after a week or two hacking the design and telling the Altera tool about the expected timing it is down to failing by 8 ns. This 8 ns is down to me trying to be smart ( should have known better ). I am trying to find out if a dram access is required in 5 ns from the 9995 setting the address bus and this is taking 13 ns presently so I will have to try some design optimisation etc to get this working. If I can sort this then the Altera tool recons that the DDR will be 144MHz and the 9995 core ( 16 bit interfaces ) will be 72MHz which is what I was designing for."

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hobby hardware projects, and especially FPGA projects, are a solitary business. Finding people with enough spare time, money, and expertise is hard, and finding people like that with enough interest in the project to help is even harder. Also, for a project like this, the return will be so small that there is no chance of making it "worth the while" monetarily.

• Like 1

RXB, your work is appreciated a lot and acceptance and knowledge on RXB will rise a lot once this 512k GROM cartridge board gets finished.

I promise to take a deeper look into your Software soon. And I am certain already, that GPL is something I want to make a deeper look.

Big projects like Geneve 2 and stuff take time and time will tell if there will be a finished product in the end.

We can really be lucky to have the F18A now buyable as finished product. The thing that is missing for programs to use F18A feature enhancements is emulator support.

I see myself trying out stuff in Classic99 every day, be it when I am on my laptop or at home. It's just so more flexible than a real console as a development environment. I can debug easily. I have all the manuals as pdfs there, I have Ti99-Dir to view my program listing nicely.

• Like 2

I'm definitely excited to see a ROM/GROM cartridge board. Especially since Gram devices are virtually impossible to get and ridiculously over-priced when you do find them.

I'm looking forward to finally getting to use RXB/REA on my real machine! So thank you Rich for putting your time and effort into RXB/EA all these years - even though I don't get to use it today, I will be in the future (I hope)! :)

-Dano

PS: If there's anything I can do to help move the 512k GROM board along, PLEASE let me know. I haven't got a lot of skills for this type of thing but I'm not afraid to learn. And if you guys don't do it, I will do it myself (it may take a while though...) lol

• 11 months later...

http://www.ti99ug.co.uk/events.htm

4-6. July 2041

Meet Gary Smith who will be bringing "progress so far" on the Geneve 2 in whatever state of completion it will be at the time. He'll be able to report on the timescale when we can expect a full running machine. There's a slim possibility he might have something running in time.

• Like 1

http://www.ti99ug.co.uk/events.htm

4-6. July 2041

Meet Gary Smith who will be bringing "progress so far" on the Geneve 2 in whatever state of completion it will be at the time. He'll be able to report on the timescale when we can expect a full running machine. There's a slim possibility he might have something running in time.

Love the type-o in there ;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I have spoken with the developer and sadly as we all know too well how life gets in the way. He told me he still needs to finish it up and had some circuit boards that he had tooled that have quite a bit of dust on them now.

Hopefully with me pestering him every now and then some traction can be gained.

We also talked that since it is designed on FPGA that maybe some developer could get it compatible to run on a FPGA system like the MiST.

Maybe he's waiting for a breakthrough in quantum computing so he can design it with that technology?

I ritually told the former architect at my day job, that he should concentrate on building his time machine first, then he could deliver solutions 'on time'

-M@

• Like 3

• 1 year later...