IGNORED

Mary Poppins coms to Atari 8-bit

Grevle

So i just finished off this game, I missed the abbuc contest, so i realese the game now,

Mary Poppins is losely based on the movie , Mary poppins can use the umbrella to fly in the movie.

The game is kinda wacky, if you want to take a look , its on my page grevle.net now.

;)

• Like 2

Actually it was a technical issue and tight memory, So when she hit the ground and the life is 1 now it will be set to zero and the game is over, so if i substract one, she will hit the ground and the counter will show -1 or something strange because its in mixed mode poke in the numbers and string converstions and so on, so if i would substract one i would have to make a additonal control code to avoid showing -1,its maybe possbible but the code is very tight,with the tunes in memory and some assembebler routines and rmt player , so i rather not mess with ,now that it works ok.

Actually it was a technical issue and tight memory, So when she hit the ground and the life is 1 now it will be set to zero and the game is over, so if i substract one, she will hit the ground and the counter will show -1 or something strange because its in mixed mode poke in the numbers and string converstions and so on, so if i would substract one i would have to make a additonal control code to avoid showing -1,its maybe possbible but the code is very tight,with the tunes in memory and some assembebler routines and rmt player , so i rather not mess with ,now that it works ok.

What you use internally in the game is independent from what is displayed. You can keep the way you count life, but when you display it, simply display one lesser.

Ok i took a look at the program and, actually i just juggled a few statements around and now its like that, 0 is the last life,The number of lifes is adjusted to 5 with in reality is 5+ the one that starts off = 6 lifes, same as before. i did not test it mutch but it seems to be ok . Version 1.11 at my page :)

Edited by Grevle

I actually was thinking about that, but i leave it as it is, i guess it depends how one look on that issue, for me 1 life left is the last ,But anyway the number of lifes is suited the game i think..

Yeah there are no defined standards. However, a player will learn that after his first playing of a game ;)

I thought about this issue as well (considering HAR'em) my solution is to display the count as ship icons and let one blink.

HopPing the player realises that the blinking ship is the current one.

Yeah there are no defined standards.

There are standards for 2600 and 7800 games :-

"The number of game lives is indicated by game life markers and the player's object on screen. For game life markers, icons should be used instead of numbers to represent game lives. One game life marker disappears each time a defeat occurs until the player is down to his last remaining game life. At that time, the player's last remaining game life is indicated by the player's object on screen. Example: If '*' is the game life marker and the player has three game lives left, it should be expressed as '* *' (and the player's object on screen) instead of '* * *' or some such scheme."

There are standards for 2600 and 7800 games :-

"The number of game lives is indicated by game life markers and the player's object on screen. For game life markers, icons should be used instead of numbers to represent game lives. One game life marker disappears each time a defeat occurs until the player is down to his last remaining game life. At that time, the player's last remaining game life is indicated by the player's object on screen. Example: If '*' is the game life marker and the player has three game lives left, it should be expressed as '* *' (and the player's object on screen) instead of '* * *' or some such scheme."

Wow who would have thought about that :o

Well, so I made the wrong choice. Luckily it's not an 2600/7800 game. puh! ;)

Those are pretty standard platform owners - you see them from all the major console manufacturers - Atari did have a similar set of standards for XE/XEGS work too.

I've always assumed the lives displayed standard (as written there by Atari) is so widely accepted so as to be assumed as a universal rule.

sTeVE

I always liked some of the ways C64 in some games deals with Status Area.

On C64 with their 'squeeze' into 38bytes screen wide if an horizontal scrolling game and if need vertical scrolling with less some Blank scanlines then their Black as Borders (apart/different colour Register) usually turns the screen looking good.

I always liked the looking of Rastan:

post-6517-0-28098300-1351606767_thumb.gif

On A8 with our different screen wide possiblities and number of scanlines for Playing and Status Area (only C.P.U./cycles taking in account...) I think that most of the Arcade games conversions would always 'go' better if you divide the scores at the Top and the Lives and Objects at the Bottom.

And, yes, I think that the Players looking or a Bar if a Fighting game it's always better than a number.

If it's your last life it should be, my opinion, nothing shown or a zero (or change the name to "remaining live(s):" instead of just "lives:"

In our trying about Pac-mania we decided to have the Status Area in Top and Bottom... But even if it look better 32bytes wide like Arcade version we thought we should get the A8 48bytes wide to see more screen (just had to cut in the number of scanlines for the scrolling Playing area because of the C.P.U./cycles).

Probably not so well looking the Status Area but the 48wide it's more playable as you can see more screen and more Ghosts...

(P.s.- just some W.I.P. and nothing is done about Pac-Mania but still going on, slowly, very slowly...)

post-6517-0-18213600-1351607434_thumb.png

post-6517-0-86796200-1351607508_thumb.png

Edited by José Pereira

Just played! Great work on the sound effects and especially good music from Emkay :thumbsup:

Some thoughts for the game - perhaps make the flap more noticable both visually and movement up and have a sound effect. Change lifes to lives. I didn't beat the first stage - how many times do you do have to do this / are there other parts to the game like in Rocket Rescue?

Would be nice if the ATR was in 1050 Enhanced density as I couln't create a real disk on my from this one - luckily I could load it using APE from the PC ;)

Just played! Great work on the sound effects and especially good music from Emkay :thumbsup:

Some thoughts for the game - perhaps make the flap more noticable both visually and movement up and have a sound effect. Change lifes to lives. I didn't beat the first stage - how many times do you do have to do this / are there other parts to the game like in Rocket Rescue?

Would be nice if the ATR was in 1050 Enhanced density as I couln't create a real disk on my from this one - luckily I could load it using APE from the PC ;)

works from image mode on myide 2 too...

There are some different backround screens, Not sure it qualifes for different parts. the key to succes is to know when to brake and wait and then go when theres a opening, and to bob and weave left to right to draw the falling objects little outwards because the fallijng objects will follow you. And theres chanses to get extra lifes.

There was a bug in the rmt music player, the game could freeze so thats been fixed in version 1.12.

I did put ut the game in Enhanced Density disc on my page.

Edited by Grevle

This is funny ! It takes some really good timing and i already had troubles to pass package 3 :twisted:

I got stuck on the third 'package' too but will try again :)

Did you fix that attract mode bug on Yar's strike?

I did put the game in Enhanced Density disc on my page.

Thanks for this ;)