IGNORED

Dedicated Tempest 2000 Controller (not a pad modification)

thevnaguy

Just finished up my dedicated controller for tempest 2000. did not want to hack up my Jaguar Controller so opted to make a dedicated one out of a EPYZ 500XJ joystick.

Came out ok for my first one ever. Will be posting a vid of the construction and use soon but here is a pic of it.

A button is fire

B button is jump

Push down on the rotary knob for the super zapper

post-8976-0-58606800-1351709752_thumb.jpg

My next one will be much better :)

Edited by thevnaguy
  • Like 6

Damn! Was there much/any circuitry involved? Or does it just make the necessary connections to the jag's controller port, similar to a homemade 2600 controller?

Not much at all. I wish I had a 6 wire cable though, I ran out of wires in the stock Nintendo one attached to the Epyx joystick. When I do it again, will get a Atari cable so I have plenty of wires.

Basically all you do is mount the encoder and then start soldering wires to it and the other two buttons. pretty easy to do. It plug directly into the Jaguar as a standalone controller.

Awesome. I love it to death! I can't wait for my Epyx to get here now. I can spare a Jaguar controller cable...I just don't know what the pinouts are. Or the color coding for the pins. You wouldn't happen to have anything like that laying around, would you?

Also, congrats on joining JSII! Your first post is pretty epic...

Also, what ppr is that encoder you used? Just curious. Looks pretty responsive. And non-detent I assume?

I used a 24ppr non detent with switch. the part number is in the show notes of the video on my youtube page. I left some info on the Jag forums but here is the webpage with the grid for function versus pin number.. http://emu-docs.org/...rs/jagcont.html

I have not been able to find a schematic of the jaguar cable that shows pin number versus wire color. I dont have a jag controller yet for my system to open it up to write it down. I just used the information on the website mentioned earlier to build the controller. I am working on a mod page that will have all this info in it, will be posted over at the GameGavel forums when done. I have attached a wiring diagram of the joypad though, it also helped out. but i dont think the colors of the wires are correct, need a jag controller to verify.

post-8976-0-42172300-1351814739_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Yep, I agree with all; very cool and I would like one also.

If the 500XJ could be turned into a good Jaguar rotary controller, could it not also be turned into a pretty decent Jaguar Joystick also? Something like that would get my money very quickly.

Also was wondering which version you used as it looks like there are at least 3 different ones made.

Yep, I agree with all; very cool and I would like one also.

If the 500XJ could be turned into a good Jaguar rotary controller, could it not also be turned into a pretty decent Jaguar Joystick also? Something like that would get my money very quickly.

Also was wondering which version you used as it looks like there are at least 3 different ones made.

I used the one made for the Nintendo NES console. It has two action buttons on the side and then made the rotary controller the superzapper zapper button. The thing to remember is this is a base model, you can navigate the bonus warp stage with it but it is much easier with the jagpad. The way I play tempest 2000 is I have this rotary controller I made plugged into port 1 and a Jagpad plugged into port 2. When I go to the bonus stage I put down the rotary control and pick up the jagpad for the bonus area.

And yes, I could easily make this Epyx joystick compatible with the Jaguar. I may have to do one out of the Epyx joystick I found today.

Edited by thevnaguy

• 2 weeks later...

I am selling off my prototype if anyone is interested. It is not very pretty but it works. figure I was pass it on for someone else to tinker with or use, so starting it at .99 cents. My next one will be much better lookiing. A member made a suggestion to me to use a SVGA cable if I could not locate a Jaguar joypad harness cheaply. Also have found a better looking knob for the controller. I have two other joysticks to modify, will post a pic of my next finished controller. I also have posted a vid on my youtube channel on how to convert a Joypad to include a rotary controller.

Here is the auction - http://www.gamegavel...item=0000697555

Here is the converstion vid for a Jaguar Joypad

https://www.youtube....h?v=JMKRKZeEwaA

• 1 month later...