IGNORED

Birthday Mania - Unwrapped

Atari_Warlord

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Back in October of 2005 the game Birthday Mania was brought to the attention of the general collecting community. Like many people, I started looking for the history of the game with no luck. In July of this year, I finally stumbled across a clue that led directly to the creator Robert Anthony Tokar.

He indicated that I was the second person to track him down, as a student working on a Master’s degree had called him a couple years ago. He specifically remembered the person telling him the story of the only copy that was in a collector’s hands.

Yep, that was me. I spoke with him a few years ago and asked him pretty much the same questions you did.

6. Was the advertising specific to where you were living at the time?

Yes, in The Newark Star-Ledger (If someone has access to the Rutger’s University Alexander Library, it looks like they might have microfiche; I would suggest looking in 1984; Personal Games Company was registered on 8/13/1984)

I always meant to do this, but never had time to follow up on it.

Good to see this game might finally get released. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Id be in the game to buy four...any updates?

Not much progress has been made. Over the last 10 months I moved and had to do extensive renovations so have had little time to do anything. The copyright office either never recieved or lost my assignment request because the check was never cashed. I put the original in one of my Star Wars books so will see if I can find it this week. Assuming the government is operating in the near future, I will go the more expensive route of talking to people and trying to get the copies of the manual and code. I think Jeff has talked with a couple people about the process of production. It's been a while since I heard from him and my last couple messages weren't answered, so not sure where he's at. I've been trying not to raise any false expectations, but I would like to get something out by spring/summer next year.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Well, I'm also not up to date on Waggies progress with that particular lead, but I have to admit that I didn't follow through on my lead either. I got massively side tracked (rightfully so I suppose) as I had to deal with all the headaches & hassles of moving! I'm sure those here who have had to deal with a move know how much work that can be and how much time it takes. Didn't Tempest (Matt) start liquidating items in his collection because of an upcoming move?

Anyhow, but the thing of it is, if I get back on track and contact him, I will be in South Florida for several days & nights next month in April (a weekend & some regular weekdays among them) and I will bring all my equipment with me to get this done if we can: (A) have him agree to let me help, as he may not want me :( and (B) find a window of time during that time period that he's available for me to come over.

Well, I'm also not up to date on Waggies progress with that particular lead, but I have to admit that I didn't follow through on my lead either. I got massively side tracked (rightfully so I suppose) as I had to deal with all the headaches & hassles of moving! I'm sure those here who have had to deal with a move know how much work that can be and how much time it takes. Didn't Tempest (Matt) start liquidating items in his collection because of an upcoming move?

Anyhow, but the thing of it is, if I get back on track and contact him, I will be in South Florida for several days & nights next month in April (a weekend & some regular weekdays among them) and I will bring all my equipment with me to get this done if we can: (A) have him agree to let me help, as he may not want me :( and (B) find a window of time during that time period that he's available for me to come over.

What is your lead? Do tell!

• 2 months later...

I finally have a minor update. Over the weekend I received notice from the copyright office that the assignment I sent in 20 months ago has been accepted and recorded. There's nothing quite as fast as the speed of government work ;). I will try again to get copies of the documents. My original requests from a year and six months ago have not been acknowledged yet, but maybe this will speed it up.

• 3 months later...