IGNORED

Birthday Mania - Unwrapped

Atari_Warlord

This is so cool, I can't believe that this actually worked. Never thought birthday mania would be seen other than the single copy that was found. Great job getting this!

I wonder what else can be obtained through the copyright office.

This would be the perfect gift.... I hope there is something planned for this :)

This is so cool, I can't believe that this actually worked. Never thought birthday mania would be seen other than the single copy that was found. Great job getting this!

I wonder what else can be obtained through the copyright office.

This would be the perfect gift.... I hope there is something planned for this :)

The original plan, if were able to stick to it, is to enhance the rom slightly for a release (as was done with Turbo) and create a name entry interface where the player can input their own name when they play the game. Also, Waggie was given the rights directly from the programmer whose only request was that any money profited from a controlled community release production run of carts would go to charity. In addition, the Happy Birthday song is no longer a grey area, so stick a fork in this one baby because it's done.

My carts done too for that matter :)

post-17556-0-47162200-1447549781_thumb.jpg

Edited by Supergun
  • Like 1

The original plan, if were able to stick to it, is to enhance the rom slightly for a release (as was done with Turbo) and create a name entry interface where the player can input their own name when they play the game. Also, Waggie was given the rights directly from the programmer whose only request was that any money profited from a controlled community release production run of carts would go to charity. In addition, the Happy Birthday song is no longer a grey area, so stick a fork in this one baby because it's done.

My carts done too for that matter :)

attachicon.gifbirthdaycart.JPG

Sorry, ignore my last post. I didn't see this. Great news!

Way to go Waggie. Fricken' awesome! So of course this begs the question, will this ROM be available for download soon?

The original author wanted that any money from this game goes to charity organizations. So I suppose there will be a limited release to raise some money first.

If you want to prepare yourself for your own personalized version, here are the specs for additional text:

• The text can be 40 pixel wide
  • Above Happy Birthday text there are about* 14 usable rows
  • Below the Happy Birthday text there are about 16 usable rows

So 40x14 pixel above and 40x16 pixel below.

* one or two more rows would work, but then the vertical spacing would become too small.

So Waggie, if memory serves, you were also in touch with the guy who possesses the one lone original cart. And that if this didn't work out, he was going to help get the ROM out from his. Clearly that didn't happen. Is he still in the picture?

I've tried to contact him a couple times over the last few years with no response, so not sure he is interested anymore.

To all involved, this is clearly a MAJOR contribution to the community, both historically and in terms of pure uniqueness. MUCH respect for the effort and the patience AND the skill! On behalf of those who have expressed their interest here, I'm sure we ALL look forward to contributing by buying the "enhanced" release whenever and however it is made available.

THANK YOU!

I was back & forth and trying as well. The communication ceased. I was the nearest member here to him with the needed equipment to safeguard his game in person, but I couldn't get it arranged.

Truthfully speaking, I knew this operation was if not by land then by sea, but I had serious doubts about the sea portion actually panning out and bearing fruit, so that was why I continued to pursuit the land option more aggressively. At the end of the day, I am pleasantly surprised, and quite amazed that it worked out that way.

As an archivist, I truly hope the original, unaltered ROM will be released as well.

Unlike Highlander, there can be more than one. Each rom had a custom name, so each is different.

His wishes were any proceeds from sales to go to charity. However, if at some point there is a rom release then I think the only way to have an 'original' is to pay homage with the original authors name on the screen. Oh, and that release should also occur on his birthday. ;)

• Like 1

Unlike Highlander, there can be more than one. Each rom had a custom name, so each is different.

His wishes were any proceeds from sales to go to charity. However, if at some point there is a rom release then I think the only way to have an 'original' is to pay homage with the original authors name on the screen. Oh, and that release should also occur on his birthday. ;)

Great idea.

Also, IMO it would be a perfect plan if the extra money made by selling this ROM would go to charity.

8)

I was back & forth and trying as well. The communication ceased. I was the nearest member here to him with the needed equipment to safeguard his game in person, but I couldn't get it arranged.

Truthfully speaking, I knew this operation was if not by land then by sea, but I had serious doubts about the sea portion actually panning out and bearing fruit, so that was why I continued to pursuit the land option more aggressively. At the end of the day, I am pleasantly surprised, and quite amazed that it worked out that way.

Well I guess that's his loss then. He probably could have made some decent coin getting some repros out like the guy who did Red Sea Crossing a couple of years ago. Maybe he just wanted to horde it for himself. Regardless, who really cares. This is very exciting news. As far as I know this is the only game from back in the day that actually was sold to the general public, but has not yet been made available to the community.

Yes, that is 100% correct.

Birthday Mania was indeed the last and only remaining *released* Atari 2600 game that had not yet been dumped.

Whereby *released* meaning:

"available for purchase at any retail store within the United States from 1977-1990" and/or "available through a mail order offer; as advertised in a magazine or television ad"

Birthday Mania, Red Sea Crossing, Gamma Attack, & Extra Terrestrials were all among the latter and the last men standing. All had been dumped except for Birthday Mania.

So, unless another as of yet unknown game which qualifies under the above criteria surfaces, which is of course remotely possible, we are done here, and 408 is the final number.

One last thing,

I would like to be fair here and take the opportunity to state that their were several other factors involved with regards to the owner of the "Nancy Reagan" Birthday Mania cartridge. I can't allow him to be vilified here. Yes, there is a very strong possibility that he never really had any intention of allowing his game to be dumped, let alone duplicated through a controlled community release. Having it safeguarded was the only thing that was ever officially on the table, and even the little progress we were making in that direction was extremely slow at first, and had come to a complete halt as of late. But, no, I don't think it's fair to judge him and what were, are, or may have been his intentions because he is one of those recluse, low key type of collectors who values his privacy and his spare time.

Edited by Supergun
  • Like 1

As an archivist, I truly hope the original, unaltered ROM will be released as well.

It deserves a place in the Old Era collection.

8)

If you had done all the leg work Waggie did you would have that choice, but you didn't, so you don't. I think he's done a stellar job with everything this far and doesn't need any backseat drivers shouting which turns to take. When the cart release comes about you can buy a copy and dump it yourself. Or go to the patent office and get a copy of the code to recompile yourself to have an

original, unaltered version.

Well, you misunderstood what Rom was referring to in his post. He's referring to the rom data on the only known actual physical cartridge. Waggie with all his time & research has nothing to do with what becomes of that cartridge, it's owner, or it's destiny.

This is a very complicated situation because the "original" Birthday Mania game rom data will forever be subject to debate and controversy.

You have the rom code that was filed. You have newer revisions of that rom code, as the changing of background color proves it exists. And you have the personalized rom code as was done about 10 times according to the programmer, and of which only 1 has ever been found.

Edited by Supergun

Well, you misunderstood what Rom was referring to in his post. He's referring to the rom data on the only known actual physical cartridge. Waggie with all his time & research has nothing to do with what becomes of that cartridge, it's owner, or it's destiny.

This is a very complicated situation because the "original" Birthday Mania game rom data will forever be subject to debate and controversy.

You have the rom code that was filed. You have newer revisions of that rom code, as the changing of background color proves it exists. And you have the personalized rom code as was done about 10 times according to the programmer, and of which only 1 has ever been found.

But you have mentioned that the owner is a recluse and odds are it's not gonna happen though right? That's a shame if so.

Yes, that is 100% correct.

Birthday Mania was indeed the last and only remaining *released* Atari 2600 game that had not yet been dumped.

Well, if you are 100% precise, Birthday Mania is still not dumped. :)

What we have is a ROM which was recreated based on a listing. Which also means, that the ROM might contain some errors, resulting from typing in the listing.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch