IGNORED

Introduction and a new game

CGrey

Hello, I'm new here but have been writing games for other platforms. The TI994A was my first computer from 1983 and I have been learning TI BASIC and converting some of my small games over.

I just finished a game called "Swarmed". It is a simple shooter with puzzle elements. Features include a high score entry and decent speed for regular TI BASIC.

swarmed.zip

• Like 2

No GCHAR or RND used. The score is stored as single digits in an array so only the numbers that change are updated on screen. The squares advance from a left to right pattern using a number cycle which changes every 50 points with the screen color. If a certain number range is hit in the pattern, no squares advance giving a chance to clear some off the screen.

Now that you mention GHCAR and RND, I guess they are relatively slow. I think I once saw a list (someone had timed many subprograms and functions).

You also mention arrays. Much like with Java, I think that the TI Basic implementation *) reuses numeric variable memory, while strings are created a new with any change. Thought something wrong with the TI when I discovered how bad a garbage collection could halt everything in a running user program. I supplied the dealer with a demo program (cassette) that showcased a delay of about half a second in delay on screen action. After some weeks TI just told us it was “normal behavior”. Thanks a lot.

*) Developed under contract to Microsoft by Bob Wallace and Bob Greenberg according to WikipediA. Thought it funny to put faces on that.

Have you got your DOAD mixed up with your FIAD?

That has been known to catch even the wariest TI99er out.....

I BEG YOUR PARDON SIR!!!! I'VE NEVER BEEN SO INSULTED!

;)

Nah. It's set up as FIAD. I wonder if it's a permissions thing on my work PC... :mad:

• Like 1

Hah!

Hello, I'm new here but have been writing games for other platforms. The TI994A was my first computer from 1983 and I have been learning TI BASIC and converting some of my small games over.

I just finished a game called "Swarmed". It is a simple shooter with puzzle elements. Features include a high score entry and decent speed for regular TI BASIC.

Ah,well that explains things... I got your email with just an attachment and no explanation or introduction, so I thought you were some creepy hacker trying to spread some form of malaware, and I deleted your email without downloading the file :grin: I'll make sure to include your game with the next TI Gameshelf update.