IGNORED

Are you late? ... Mario is back!

retroillucid

Didn't you sell like 200 or 300 or these things and now it seems like there are another 100 that want this one?

Are these all just repeat customers or do we really have that many new people that didn't get this game?

Just curious.

Stuck at work and don't really want to be here. :)

I only have the rom from Atarimax cart, so would like to get the cart.

• 2 weeks later...

Out of curiosity (sorry if this was covered elsewhere, and link please if it was) but why doesn't Mario work on Adam? Is Adam able to be modified to work with it? Or is it something with the game itself?

I just tested both releases of Mario Bros. (the first release and then the Rev. A release) on a Stand-Alone ADAM Computer and everything worked just fine through the first Bonus Stage and then subsequent crab level. I didn't test any further, but would think that everything else should work just fine. I can't see there being an issue when playing Mario Bros. on an Exp. Mod. #3 ADAM Computer either.

So further information would be welcome.

The AtariMax SD Cart cleans up memory RAM and VRAM, so some bugs can go unnoticed until final PCB.

Early after mounting first PCB, Pixelboy discovered a bug in Princess Quest that fortunately was solved in time, it was VRAM not cleaned fully at start so appeared a fast-flashing letter in a corner during game.

So J-F, you've to clean memory completely (RAM and VRAM,) and also to check that all the program uses the same zone of RAM ($7000-$73ff)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

^Thank you, NIAD, I'll keep tabs on this thread.

I've seen Youtube videos of this game, and it looks and (and seems to play) fabulous!

Due to health problems I haven't been able to stay abreast of the wonderful things that have occurred in the Colecovision community. I'm truly impressed with all the great games, hardware, and more importantly all the incredible love and effort that have been invested by so many talented people. I salute all of you.

It's my hope that I will be able to acquire some of these works of love, and be able to participate in the enjoyment.

Has anyone got any description of the symptoms when it doesn't work on the Adam?

Based on what I'm hearing above, my suspicion is the bank switching hardware... though I don't know why. I haven't seen a real Adam since you could buy them in computer stores. :) I'm assuming that "nothing" happens, you just get a blank screen.

It's written entirely in C, so it's unlikely to be a RAM base address issue. VRAM is never read back in the program, and it doesn't use any BIOS routines, so I can't see why clearing VRAM would make any difference. One 'weird' thing it does is that it skips the ColecoVision BIOS 5-second screen (by flipping the signature bytes in the header) -- do other titles that skip that screen work on Adam?

Anyone near Burbank with an Adam willing to haul it over for a day to diagnose the issue? ;)

Tursi... what is strange is that the rom image dumps play perfectly on an ADAM when placed on an AtariMax Ultimate SD Cart. I will test out both MB carts that I have on an ADAM to see exactly what the results are so that I can pass something useful along to you.

As far as carts that skip the BIOS Title Screen... Yes, there are a number of utilities that skip the title screen (with the 12 second delay, not 5 second) and I have even edited a number of them so that the BIOS title screen does display seeing as the title screen text was implemented in the rom code. I always switch them around (old age and all), but I think the rom code has to start with 55 AA for the first two bytes for no title screen and AA 55 to implemet the BIOS title screen.

Tursi... what is strange is that the rom image dumps play perfectly on an ADAM when placed on an AtariMax Ultimate SD Cart. I will test out both MB carts that I have on an ADAM to see exactly what the results are so that I can pass something useful along to you.

Thanks. You have to remember that the AtariMax SD cart uses different hardware for the bank switching. You have at least helped relieve my fears that it's something weird in the way controllers are read or such. ;) It's probably something tied to the way the cartridge starts up.

As far as carts that skip the BIOS Title Screen... Yes, there are a number of utilities that skip the title screen (with the 12 second delay, not 5 second) and I have even edited a number of them so that the BIOS title screen does display seeing as the title screen text was implemented in the rom code. I always switch them around (old age and all), but I think the rom code has to start with 55 AA for the first two bytes for no title screen and AA 55 to implemet the BIOS title screen.

That's good information, too, that's exactly the header tweak I was talking about.

I just finished testing both Mario Bros. carts (the original release that's in a red cart shell and the Rev. A release) that I own on a Stand-Alone ADAM Computer and BOTH work flawlessly as far as I can tell. I played thru 16 levels of the original release and then 6 levels of the Rev. A release.

If for some reason there is really an issue, maybe the testers ADAM Computer was at fault or possibly they tested with an Exp. Mod. #3 ADAM / ColecoVision that is the issue? I'd test on an EM#3, but then that means taking it out of the box and setting everything up which is a choir onto itself. If someone wants to pay me for my testing services, I will do it! :P

The only other thing that I can think of is that there were 4 revisions of the ADAM Logic Board that I know of that are numbered Rev. #57, 59, 79 and 80. Perhaps this has something to do with it, although I doubt it. The ColecoVision Delta Board did not go thru all the revisions as far as I recall, but would have to double check.

So, to make a long story short, the original Mario Bros. carts DO work on the ADAM.