IGNORED

NES HSC Rules/Questions/Comments Thread

CGQuarterly

Do people actually care about having "seasons" with overall winners, or should we just do a game-to-game thing? I kind of feel like having defined seasons is kind of pointless, but whatever you guys like is fine with me.

Personally I don't care too much about having an overall "season" winner. The game-to-game thing is enough for me.

When I was a kid, a local department store had a competition where kids had to try to maximize their score for just the first level of SMB. So we could do that.

I'm not sure it makes sense in a two week format by itself, but having a side challenge like this in addition to the game we're currently playing would be cool to me.

Yes, I agree that two weeks of the first level of SMB wouldn't be too cool. But maybe just a little side competition for fun.

I'm leaning pretty heavily towards dropping the whole "season" thing unless I hear some objections. Especially if we can start giving out occasional prizes for winning individual rounds.

Chris

I like having seasons. It gives people incentive to play every game.

I understand what you're saying, but I'm not sure that it does give people incentive. Since I've been participating in this HSC I've noticed a fair number of "fringe" players that just play a game that interests them and then we never see them again. If there were no seasons maybe more folks would be willing to play because they don't feel as if they're jumping into the middle of something. I don't know what motivates people to play or not, but as you said that's my two cents on it.

@JJ

Have you thought about putting together an NES HSC All Time Records thread?

I put one together for the 5200, 7800, Lynx, and Intellivision HSC's.

The one bad thing is i'm the only one able to edit the 5200, 7800, and Lynx ones.

I can't edit the Intellivison one. :(

It hasn't been updated for awhile.

Edited by roadrunner

As for another perspective, a "season" gives a player who would say, for example, ewwww American Gladiators, this game sucks (not saying it's me, but god damn the wall), to turn it off if it's just a game and may not return. Having a season gives reason for a player to give it the "college try" to make sure not to fall behind by sitting it out. Also has anyone asked Austin, the previous season winner his thoughts?

It's posted here so that I can get everyone's thoughts. And I totally understand what you're saying, but I don't think that the purpose of the HSC is to force people to try games.

Also, roadrunner, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Chris

It's posted here so that I can get everyone's thoughts. And I totally understand what you're saying, but I don't think that the purpose of the HSC is to force people to try games.

Also, roadrunner, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Chris

All time records of every game played in the NES HSC ever.

The top scores and settings for each game played here at Atariage.

I know it's alot of work, over 5 pages of threads to go thur but it would be cool to have a list of the best scores for each game. :)

I'm going to keep the season format.

Also, since I put the time into amassing the overall high score thread, we're going to put it to good use. Any time we play a game that has already been played and therefore has a high score listed in that thread, any player who bests the previous high score will receive 2 bonus points.

Chris

PressureCooker2600 has donated a copy of WWF Wrestlemania for the NES. The game he has chosen to play is Elevator Action. So we'll be playing that at some point this season. As a reminder, other possible games for this season are:

Wrecking Crew

Rad Racer

Super Tecmo Bowl

Bomberman 2

Adventure Island

Marble Madness

Batman

Dr. Mario

Chris

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...