BreakThru

RBI Baseball

Kung Fu

Metalstorm

Monster in my Pocket

Solar Jetman

Supersprint

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3

In honor of football season I would like to second RR's picks of 10-Yard Fight or Tecmo Bowl. I would also like to add a vote for Super Tecmo Bowl or frankly any other NES football game.

• Like 1

We will definitely do a football game. In fact we'll do it week 1 to kick off the new season. We will also stick with 2 week rounds, and I will form a game list based on recommendations. I don't want to extend the season beyond 10 rounds, because that's already 20 weeks. If anyone else has suggestions, get 'em in now.

Thanks!

Tentative season 11 game list. This will become permanent tomorrow evening if no one speaks up. Going kind of sports-heavy this season.

Tecmo Bowl (we played Super TB last season)

Metalstorm

Ice Hockey

Clu Clu Land

Baseball Stars II

Pinball

Double Dribble

Excite Bike

Gradius 2 (Famicom)

Crisis Force (Famicom)

• Like 1

Tentative season 11 game list. This will become permanent tomorrow evening if no one speaks up. Going kind of sports-heavy this season.

Tecmo Bowl (we played Super TB last season)

Metalstorm

Ice Hockey

Clu Clu Land

Baseball Stars II

Pinball

Double Dribble

Excite Bike

Gradius 2 (Famicom)

Crisis Force (Famicom)

Thanks! I realize it is tentative, but I will add the ones I don't have to my shopping list for the expo next month.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was looking at some nes games I would like to play but then I had 2 problems.

1) Many Nes games don't give points for an HSC tourney.

2) After all these months playin in AA, I don't feel the same thing playing solo. It's great to play with you all. :thumbsup:

So, I was thinking if we could play and give points in another tourney or bonus inside a future hsc for games you can beat.

Does it sound good?

If Jibbajaba likes the bonus idea, he just neeed to pick two games per round, one for the hsc and one that gives bonus points if you can beat the game.

I'm not sure about making another tourney. I think it risks two bad things: compete with the hsc and lose interest soon since beating a game is hard.

Anyway, here's what I thought about this tourney.

Name: The Nes Challenge

Gaming time: one round per week

Beated the game during the week round: 5 points.

Didn't beat the game but played it: 2 points (participation points)

Beated the game in the next week after the end of a round: 2 points. (so you can keep playing last week game and finally beat it, usually it will result in 2 participation + 2 beating next week)

Just wanted to vent it out. I really don't know how fun or boring it would be to play and reward only for beating a game??? And I don't know if that would fit better as a bonus inside the HSC or could make a good tourney format as its own???

EDIT: thanks for moving this post and sorry for posting in a going round.

• Like 1

I think that a lot of people have enough trouble finding time to play one game for each round, so I'd be very hesitant to offer up two. I think it would be easier to just say that when we play a game that is beatable (meaning that it has an end), that a player would get a certain number of bonus points for doing so. So for instance we could play Contra, and on top of people posting high scores, if they posted a screenshot of the ending or whatever, they could get 5 or 10 extra championship points.

I also don't like participation points for playing a game with no score. We only generally have about 10 active players from week to week, and with the scoring system that I'm using (Formula One scoring) the top 10 players get points, which usually means everyone.

For games that don't have a score but do have levels (like SMB 2 USA), people could just post what level they made it to, and that would give me a metric by which to rank them.

What specific games did you have in mind? I don't like the idea of just having a binary system of yes you beat it or no you didn't, but maybe we can find other metrics to pull from the game by which peoples' performances can be ranked. It would certainly expand the pool of potential games that we can choose from.

EDIT: I moved both your post and my response into the "questions and comments" thread, as it isn't specific to the game that we're playing this week.

Edited by Jibbajaba
  • Like 1

Kirby's adventure, Kid Icarus and both Zelda games are very famous and I played just a little bit (except for zelda 1 which i played many hours but couldn't beat).

Other than those, I think many gamers would like to play SMB 1, 2 and 3, Castlevania, Castlevania III, You Noid!, Metroid and so on.

What specific games did you have in mind? I don't like the idea of just having a binary system of yes you beat it or no you didn't, but maybe we can find other metrics to pull from the game by which peoples' performances can be ranked. It would certainly expand the pool of potential games that we can choose from.

• Like 1

Kirby's adventure, Kid Icarus and both Zelda games are very famous and I played just a little bit (except for zelda 1 which i played many hours but couldn't beat).

Other than those, I think many gamers would like to play SMB 1, 2 and 3, Castlevania, Castlevania III, You Noid!, Metroid and so on.

Kirby's Adventure, Kid Icarus, SMB 1, SMB 3, Castlevania, Castlevania III, and Yo Noid! all keep score, so those are easy to play under our current system. For the first Zelda game we can easily make the "score" the number of triforce pieces each player obtains. For Zelda II we could say that your final score is your attack level plus your magic level plus your life level, or something like that. So of all of the games that you mentioned, only Metroid would pose a real problem as an HSC game.

• Like 1

Kirby's Adventure, Kid Icarus, SMB 1, SMB 3, Castlevania, Castlevania III, and Yo Noid! all keep score, so those are easy to play under our current system. For the first Zelda game we can easily make the "score" the number of triforce pieces each player obtains. For Zelda II we could say that your final score is your attack level plus your magic level plus your life level, or something like that. So of all of the games that you mentioned, only Metroid would pose a real problem as an HSC game.

Great. :thumbsup:

But reading this gives me the impression I was out of Nes for a looooong time. I should remember they have scores... :dunce:

• 3 months later...

Jibbajaba, are you open to playing homebrew games in this HSC? I'd like to suggest Blade Buster (5 minute mode).

post-36127-0-24742200-1394146456_thumb.pngpost-36127-0-66469200-1394146466_thumb.pngpost-36127-0-92641600-1394146471_thumb.png

It's a caravan shoot em up, meaning you have a set amount of time to score points (there are 2 min and 5 min modes) and can be downloaded freely from the authors homepage (click the 'BLADE BUSTER download' link). Check this one out folks, graphically and technically one of the most impressive Famicom shooters you'll ever see, and very playable too.

Other suggestions:

Danny Sullivan's Indy Heat

Pac-Mania

Dig Dug

Mighty Bomb Jack

Terra Cresta

Galaga

Defender II

Edited by DonPedro

Yeah, as long as the copyright-holder of the game has made it available. I don't mind you guys downloading ROMs for old NES games, but I don't want to create a situation where we are downloading ROMs for homebrew games unless they've been made freely available.

I think that we should definitely include Blade Buster in next season's game selection.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a lot of responses considering that the next season should start this week. So I went through some old posts in this thread to find some suggested games that weren't played, and added a couple of my own.

Here's my suggested list so far:

Bucky O'Hare

Summer Carnival '92: Recca (Famicom)

Donkey Kong Jr.

Blade Buster (Homebrew)

NES Open Tournament Golf

Breakthru

Solar Jetman

3D Battles of WorldRunner

Spelunker

Legendary Wings

If anyone has any objections, post them ASAP!