IGNORED

Looking for some advice before starting to learn how to program again.

LidLikesIntellivision

I want to learn how to program.

I've started a few times using resources from internet (some tutorials, books and videos too).

But I always stop early before I can do interesting things. I did some exercises, some little programs and that's it.

I've tried a bit of shell script, C and python. I think I should start python again but I liked all 3 and would be very happy if I can "master" all 3. (well shell script mostly as a way to learn more about Gnu/Linux)

I would only learn Basic if I happen to try batari Basic. I don't see a good reason to learn Basic other than this...

Assembly seems very cool. It seems cool to program in assembly for the 6507 and for other processors too.

My problem, IMO, is lack of objectives and a good path to learn.

Should I pick a good book like "The C Programming Language" by Dennis Ritchie and go all the way?

Should I mix tutorials, books and videos for python? There are tons of materials of python...

Could/Should I learn all 3 together?

Should I pick a big goal like making a game and try it?

It's pretty hard to learn programming because every person is different, but here are my suggestions:

* Only one language at a time. The one that you feel most comfortable.

* Start with very small games (Nim, Tic-Tac-Toe, Checkers) WITHOUT A.I.

* Try to answer questions yourself (some people know this as: learn to think)

* Don't leave until you get it working.

* Dedicate a time everyday, same hour.

* After mastering a step, put yourself new objectives. (slightly more complicated games)

By the way, the "C programming language" is not good for beginners, it assumes that you know how to program, but it is necessary if you want to learn C. Go to your local library and check for the book with the tone that you most understand.

In 80's and 90's magazines published programs that served as a reference to learn, but now the Internet is the resource, just search for small programs and try to understand how them work.

• Like 1

Thanks!

* Only one language at a time. The one that you feel most comfortable.

1 The more comfortable language may be python (I don't know if I go for 2.6 or 3.x version). I hope a high level one doesn't make me lazy for an eventually assembly or even for learning C...

* Start with very small games (Nim, Tic-Tac-Toe, Checkers) WITHOUT A.I.

2 Small games are a good tip.

* Try to answer questions yourself (some people know this as: learn to think)

3 I'm somewhat good to answer simple logic questions and bad for complex things like choosing what language, what book, what objectives etc...

* Don't leave until you get it working.

4 I reall must keep do it: don't leave early :)

* Dedicate a time everyday, same hour.

5 Good tip. I can study many hours for 1,2 or 3 weeks and then I tend to stop...

* After mastering a step, put yourself new objectives. (slightly more complicated games)

6 New and fun objectives. Must find them

In 80's and 90's magazines published programs that served as a reference to learn, but now the Internet is the resource, just search for small programs and try to understand how them work.

7 I've heard this before but never tried to read someone's code.

I'm bad at programing, so I have to use BASIC-style languages. They are easier for me to understand. With BASIC, you can basically tell the program to throw the banana at the monkey, but with Assembly Language, you're pretty much dealing with the atoms that make up the banana and the monkey. Only recommended for gods or mortals who love tedious minutia. :D

• Like 1

Ok. I started my python course. I'm using Internet resources and I'm posting them here. Maybe someone else can use it but I never see anyone talking about python in AA... :ponder:

Anyway:

First book: Think Python: How to Think Like a Computer Scientist (Creative Commons licensed :) )

Video lessons: Introduction to Computer Science and Programming. Yes, man, I'm in MIT :thumbsup:

Aulas em português (Portuguese lectures):

After these I may look for another book and practice a bit more.

What is your ultimate aim?

To rule the World!

Now seriously, I really enjoy physics, math and computer/tech things.

I coursed electrotechnic (sorry bad English...) in my High School (or the equivalent) but then I coursed Law in University and I work with it! :-o

I really miss those times when I was good in the exact classes. Now I do it for hobby. ;-)

I love to solve problems. Programming is the right way to use computers!

So yes, my aim is mainly to have some nerd fun!

But that doesn't mean I can't do usefull things with it.