IGNORED

Atari Inc. - Business Is Fun Now Available!

Albert

Nice review, Keith, thanks! Your photo of the book is the first I've seen of the actual book, and wow, it's thick!

..Al

I posted my pic over on this thread earlier - http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/199619-atari-book-countdown-clock-has-started/page__st__175__gopid__2647234#entry2647234

The book IS a beast! - and a great read. I am no where near finished with it, but what spare moments I have, I am putting towards reading it. Have to admit that when I started, I was immediately sucked in and it's tough to put down. My own memories of the 1st EM games I ever saw in the 70's and then the 1st video games I was ever introduced to..so on and so forth. Well, back to work .... though I'd rather be reading. :-)

The review mentioned a color version coming out possibly next year. Any ETA/price point for that yet?

While the history is certainly compelling, I'm really interested in the photos and any artwork. I'd pay good money for an "Art of Atari" coffee table book.

Edited by Nathan Strum
  • Like 2

I updated your original post yesterday after Random Terrain posted the correct link. :)

I think that must have happened in a different timeline. It's still wrong in this one:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/205778-atari-inc-business-is-fun-now-available/page__st__25#entry2647993

:D

Sometime in early 2013, we are talking with full color publishing houses, it'll be a hardcover and most likely will be about $69.99

The review mentioned a color version coming out possibly next year. Any ETA/price point for that yet?

While the history is certainly compelling, I'm really interested in the photos and any artwork. I'd pay good money for an "Art of Atari" coffee table book.

• Like 1

Bah, what I want to know is, who will be reading the audiobook version? ;)

I had thought about trying to get Alan Alda if we can get the money together and if he's willing to read a book that size at his age. Regardless, right now we're working with trying to get the Kindle book format working right. Amazon's online converter, which promised automatic conversion, isn't handling the conversion right. Turning the layout/theme and imagery into swiss cheese. Not having any luck with the inDesign plugin of Amazon's either, since the inDesign file is too large (620MB Kindle file size limit). So I might have to go back and work a completely new version just for Kindle if Amazon can't work with us to straighten this out.

• Like 1

I had thought about trying to get Alan Alda if we can get the money together and if he's willing to read a book that size at his age.

That would be really cool. We'll see, if he's too greedy. This would be a nice way to reprise upon his history as Atari pitchman. Perhaps he'll realize this interest (the book) is not funded by traditional means, and be reasonable.

So....... When do those of us who preordered back in [cough] July [/cough] get to receive our copy, now that everyone who waited until a few days ago is receiving their fresh, minty copies in the mail??? :ponder:

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

[...]

Then there is the section on popcorn, gallons of mustard, a wall to wall waterbed, lady friends at hotels and Nolan's ex-wife coming back into the picture... hang onto your seats for that section, that'll keep your glued to the pages of the book all of the way through...

[...]

Curt

Sounds like it's going to be an epic read, whenever my book finally arrives. I've read and enjoyed the Ultimate Video Game history, and I found the passing mentions about pot smoke in the warehouse and hot tub board meetings very intriguing, however the author really left me wanting more of the juicy tidbits. :cool:
  • Like 1

Amazon informed us it would be 5-7 days, so most likely they'll start shipping end of week and you'll receive at whatever the shipping speed is, I think all of the pre-orders were done USPS direct if I recall... I need to check status which I've been doing each day.

I just caught this post. Stinks that the preorder folks get the book so much later than the ones who waited. BUT - we saved five bucks. :-)

Oh well, the wait will be worth it!

That would be really cool. We'll see, if he's too greedy. This would be a nice way to reprise upon his history as Atari pitchman. Perhaps he'll realize this interest (the book) is not funded by traditional means, and be reasonable.

Just for giggles (and basically to get a reaction), is anyone sending him a copy?

Hopefully you can post a review up on Amazon, we are really encouraging people so that others can see the reviews, it helps out a great deal, thank you.

I have browsed through it and I am reading the first chapter now. Thanks so much for this, it is incredibly detailed and well worth the wait and the money. Can't wait for the 2nd book now, congrats Marty and Curt :)

• Like 1

Yes, it will show up in color on color kindle devices, we are not having an easy time with converting to Kindle, their automatic conversion tools essentially mangled our book, we've tried a few mobi converters with a little bit better luck but still not satisfied with the results, Marty is reformatting the template layout and we are going to try to build another kindle file to submit, but we have no ETA at this time.

I see there are color photos in the preview. Do you expect the Kindle version to have color photos?

Yes, it will show up in color on color kindle devices, we are not having an easy time with converting to Kindle, their automatic conversion tools essentially mangled our book, we've tried a few mobi converters with a little bit better luck but still not satisfied with the results, Marty is reformatting the template layout and we are going to try to build another kindle file to submit, but we have no ETA at this time.

I converted a couple of my wife's books to Kindle format...it was definitely a challenge and they were simple in layout compared to your book...good luck! Edited by mmervine

You'd think there would be pages out there by now from random authors who tell you the best and easiest way to convert a book from whatever format you are using to the Kindle format. Almost every problem I have ever had was solved thanks to Google.