IGNORED

Atari Inc. - Business Is Fun Now Available!

Albert

Gee Fernando - try reading the latest update, everything that needs to be discussed is posted there, XM's ship Jan 30th, next time actually check some facts before posting a stupid post...

Did you notice how often Curt Appears here to promote his book,

while he does not give a F@#! about the XM thread ,

just a few clicks away

were there are lots of people asking questions about their money and the "Company Name's Change " ?

(i know i will get banned for this)

Actually Bob is not doing anymore games....and I'm extremely close friends with him, yet he wouldn't give me a reason but if it has to do with something dickheaded like one of Fernando's comments, gee I can see why....

No, but since you do, ask him when the next game is coming out! Date, please!

What part of the posting put into the 7800 section for 7800XM Status that is PINNED and close don't YOU understand Fernando?!?!? Go read the Status link, there is the status, that is all that's needed and that's all that matters, other than people asking if they could have a shipping address changed or anything other, their XM's ship Jan 30th... 'nuff said, move on.

obviously you don't care about reading the thread at all...

Trying to get back on topic here, Curt, Marty or Leonard - have any of you tried Apple's free iBooks Author app for giggles? As an app goes, it looked like it had potential, but it didn't (doesn't?) import from pdf or PostScript so it was useless for what I was considering it for at the time.

Probably not super relevant, as I did not have tons of pics in my book, but when we were converting it to work on Kindle I hit a huge wall and ended up paying Createspace to do it for me. Cost 90$ and took a week, but in the end they did far better than I would have. Might be worth looking into, though I would assume the price would be higher.

Trying to get back on topic here, Curt, Marty or Leonard - have any of you tried Apple's free iBooks Author app for giggles? As an app goes, it looked like it had potential, but it didn't (doesn't?) import from pdf or PostScript so it was useless for what I was considering it for at the time.

No. I work with a PC.

Congratulations on being banned from the thread!

..Al

Better do something quick Albert, the thread is going south twice. The only negative comments I have posted were what I believed to be legitimate complaints about shipping and release dates. I've still not recieved my preorder book yet, despite the fact others are already enjoying it...

Better do something quick Albert, the thread is going south twice. The only negative comments I have posted were what I believed to be legitimate complaints about shipping and release dates. I've still not recieved my preorder book yet, despite the fact others are already enjoying it...

I'm in the same boat as you, but Curt said yesterday he would look into it and see what he could do. That's good enough for me. :)

• Like 1

snapback.pngCurt Vendel, on Mon Dec 3, 2012 10:05 PM, said:

This is our first time doing this stuff, we had no idea Amazon would in a sense end up doing things backwards, I've ordered a bulk of books tonight to come in and I'm going to actually use them across the board to ship out to kickstarter backers and to the earliest pre-order placers and then deal with the issues, I don't like people not getting their books so I'm going to try to help a bit on my end as well...

Thank you Curt, please keep us informed. I know that you didn't plan for this and are trying your best. Lesson learned on my end also, don't pre-order from Amazon.

Hopefully for the next book we can find a better way to get you the cash in ahead of time. I have to believe having the cash early helps out on expenses for creating the book, so if I can be sure that next time I will be on the top of the list I will preorder again. (run-on sentences are my friends)

Many aspects of the world today are backwards - one of the many reasons I don't care to "preorder" much of anything anymore.

BTW: love the book. Kick ass mammoth coffee table fare for all to see. Would normally never, ever spend $40 (did the preorder people pay less?) on a paperback, but wanted to support a couple of good guys and catch up on some good old fashioned insider trade reading.

Looking forward to downloadable electronic versions viewable on my Kindle Fires and iPads with color photos. :)

Who is DailyDeal USA? They have six "used" copies available on Amazon for $65.00 each.

No idea, and it's of course impossible for them to have any used. I think it's just them staking their space for the future, they did a whole bunch within a penny difference of each other.

Yes, it's what I'll be using for our iBook version. There simply isn't another alternative if you want to take full advantage of the iBook format.

Would normally never, ever spend $40 (did the preorder people pay less?) on a paperback,

Thanks for the praise, just wanted to address the above statement because I've had a few other people express the same concern or wonder why the price shouldn't be for a hardcover. I actually find it an odd sentiment, because as someone who regularly buys paperbacks for my profession, the cover price of most 800 page paperbacks are usually more expensive (mid $50 to $60 range):

http://www.amazon.co...-16&keywords=c#

http://www.amazon.co...&keywords=mysql

and others have even less pages but are more expensive or just as:

http://www.amazon.co...-6&keywords=php

http://www.amazon.co...-1&keywords=php

I find our book, because of the nature of the content and research that went in to it, a cross between a novel and technical. It's certainly nowhere in the vicinity of a cheap pulp novel/self help book/etc. in the $10 to $20 something range (and usually those are far less in size). So I'd say we're pretty cheap in comprison to books the same size.

Granted, there are a few similar size books here and there that have been around for a while (decade or more) that can drop farther in price accordingly, or because of their major publishing backing and large batches of printings to offset the cost of printing (Steve Jobs bio, and Ultimate History - which is still 300 pages shorter than ours).

Average industry standard cover price for a paperback half our size is $22.99-$25.99, so we're right in the ballpark and actually below the doubling of that range.

Mine arrived today from amazon, love it !

Great! If you guys ordered from Amazon, please post reviews! And everyone else, please feel free to "Like" the page.

BTW: love the book. Kick ass mammoth coffee table fare for all to see. Would normally never, ever spend $40 (did the preorder people pay less?) on a paperback, but wanted to support a couple of good guys...
Obviously, you've never been to college. Most of my textbooks averaged about $100 and often had fewer pages; about half of them were paperbacks. The campus bookstore typically buys books back at half price and sells them used at 2/3 price, but new editions come out all the time, so buying used and reselling at the end of the semester isn't always an option. Also bear in mind the Atari book is probably printed on high quality glossy archival paper compared to your typical $2 trashy paperback romance novel. I look forward to reading it, and I do not consider $40 expensive for a 700 page nonfiction book, paperback or not. A lot of hard work and research went into this. Edited by stardust4ever

Obviously, you've never been to college. Most of my textbooks averaged about $100 and often had fewer pages; about half of them were paperbacks.

Shouldn't dignify this ignorant comment with a response, but congrats on totally and utterly missing my point. :ponder:

Normally prefer to line my bookshelves with hardcovers when possible, but wanted to support the effort with this purchase - period. And in the case sales end up affecting whether or not hardcover or electronic editions ever get released, bonus!

Curt and Marty: my comment about price wasn't meant to be a rip at all. There's obviously tons of value to be had here. :)

• Like 1

Shouldn't dignify this ignorant comment with a response, but congrats on totally and utterly missing my point. :ponder:

A lot of college graduates are overqualified, so they can't get a job. A similar thing can happen when reading posts. If your post isn't complex enough, they can be too overqualified to get your point. Try throwing in words like antediluvian, percipience, promulgate, quiescent, and forsooth. :D

I think through CreateSpace, they charge around $12-13 per book, plus 1.5 cents per page, maybe more for images. On top of that, take into account the services for conversion. Then, Amazon probably takes a percentage on top of that. You can see where this is going.. The guys will have to sell hundreds of copies, just to break even. Paying $20 more for a hard-cover binding service, seems like not too unreasonable an expense, in retrospect. (Hoping to get one of those, if they become available. ) Of course, price is a sensitive issue, especially for something that might have a niche audience. Not a whole lot one can do about that, unless one opens their own publishing house and has an economy of scale of a 100 thousand or more unit throughput, to absorb costs.

Normally prefer to line my bookshelves with hardcovers when possible, but wanted to support the effort with this purchase - period. And in the case sales end up affecting whether or not hardcover or electronic editions ever get released, bonus!

I wasn't trying to insult anyone's eduaction of lack thereof, I only used college textbooks as an example that when you've been required to pay $100s for a book that you need but don't want, $40 for a book that you really want seems like a nice deal in comparison.

Typically with most publishers, if separate softcover and hardcover editions are released, the hardcover edition is released first, typically months in advance of the softcover, so don't hold your breath expecting a future hardcover edition. I would value a color edition as higher on my priority list than hardcover, but we will receive nothing, nor second and third book in the series, unless the first one sells moderately well.

A lot of college graduates are overqualified, so they can't get a job. A similar thing can happen when reading posts. If your post isn't complex enough, they can be too overqualified to get your point. Try throwing in words like antediluvian, percipience, promulgate, quiescent, and forsooth. :D

I never understood why being overqualified prevents someone from getting a job, unless the employer is afraid of being replaced! :ponder: With the exception of jobs a complete layman would do (like busing tables), more knowledge = better performance and less on-the-job training.

I think through CreateSpace, they charge around $12-13 per book, plus 1.5 cents per page, maybe more for images. On top of that, take into account the services for conversion. Then, Amazon probably takes a percentage on top of that. You can see where this is going.. The guys will have to sell hundreds of copies, just to break even. Paying $20 more for a hard-cover binding service, seems like not too unreasonable an expense, in retrospect. (Hoping to get one of those, if they become available. ) Of course, price is a sensitive issue, especially for something that might have a niche audience. Not a whole lot one can do about that, unless one opens their own publishing house and has an economy of scale of a 100 thousand or more unit throughput, to absorb costs.

Again, being quite accustomed to paying > $100 for books I don't want to read, paying $40 for a book that I do want to read sounds like quite a deal. :grin: