IGNORED

Arcade/MAME HSC Season 5 Game Suggestions

Deteacher

Thanks! Saturday can't come fast enough. The sticks are Happ Competition Sticks The Stick on the left is switchable 4-way/8-way by lifting up on the stick and rotating it.

I've never heard of a Happ Competition that is switchable from the top. Is it some kind of custom hack?

I know there are various sticks out there that provide that capability right out of the box, such as the Ultimarc Mag-Stick Plus.

Actually, when I first saw your photo, I thought the sticks were Happ Supers, as the bat style resembles what I know them to look like. On my panel, the Comps are the red sticks, and the black one is a 4-way Super.

Regardless of technical mumbo-jumbo, enjoy your new toy! I'm almost 2 years in with mine and still use it all the freakin' time.

cp2.jpg

Here's my list:

Vanguard

Gyruss

Joust

Joust 2

Nibbler

Robotron

Zaxxon

Super Zaxxon

Sundance

Cutie Q

Astro Blaster

Blaster

Discs of Tron

Inferno

Juno First

Levers

Marble Madness

Prof Pac Man

Quantum

Reactor

Tazz-mania

Also, I was playing some Robotron today on MAME. Something was telling me to record the gameplay but since it takes forever to set up the capture stuff and whatnot I didn't record it.

A few minutes into the game, the game reset. I triggered the Enforcer bug. There's only a 1/3000 chance of that happening. AND I DIDN'T RECORD IT :mad: :mad: :mad: :(

I've never heard of a Happ Competition that is switchable from the top. Is it some kind of custom hack?

I know there are various sticks out there that provide that capability right out of the box, such as the Ultimarc Mag-Stick Plus.

Actually, when I first saw your photo, I thought the sticks were Happ Supers, as the bat style resembles what I know them to look like. On my panel, the Comps are the red sticks, and the black one is a 4-way Super.

Regardless of technical mumbo-jumbo, enjoy your new toy! I'm almost 2 years in with mine and still use it all the freakin' time.

cp2.jpg

Honestly, I don't know the brand of stick. I do know he purchased everything from Ultimarc and you can switch from 4 to 8 way by pulling up on the stick and twisting it left or right. Might be a Mag Stick. At any rate, it's now in my man cave and my shoulder is now sore from a marathon Marble Madness session with my 7-year old grandson. :)

post-9712-0-94206100-1355665607_thumb.jpg

How does everyone feel about how games should be picked? Random draw or throw 4-5 games out there to a vote? Lots of good game choices. Keep 'em coming! :)

Sounds like we're in business. Picks will be by random draw. I'm going to assign the games a number and have a RNG program pick a number. That will be the game of the week.

When I took over for Rob after he left mid season I tried to do everything random. I took the whole list and would use a random number generator to pick a game. There was a problem I found with that. Sometimes games would come up that were chosen by people who were not competing. They had merely stopped by to drop a list, play in one or two rounds, then ducked out. Luckily some of the games were good and liked by all. Then there were a few crappers that would come up.

To avoid games from those who were not even playing in the HSC I started doing this. I would take a list of the people who competed that week, choose one player randomly (I used a die since there was usually less than 10 people), then choose a game from their suggestions randomly. If the player did not have any suggestions, I would just choose another player randomly. That would keep the games rolling in from the active players, allowing someone to do the /happyDance when their game was up instead of "Great! Cosmo Gang!"

With that said, here's my list

Jr Pac Man

Ms. Pac-man (Turbo)

Bubbles

Nibbler

Wonder Boy

Black Tiger

Oli-Boo-Chu

Red Alert

Jumping Jack

B

Edited by bigbee99
  • Like 1

When I took over for Rob after he left mid season I tried to do everything random. I took the whole list and would use a random number generator to pick a game. There was a problem I found with that. Sometimes games would come up that were chosen by people who were not competing. They had merely stopped by to drop a list, play in one or two rounds, then ducked out. Luckily some of the games were good and liked by all. Then there were a few crappers that would come up.

To avoid games from those who were not even playing in the HSC I started doing this. I would take a list of the people who competed that week, choose one player randomly (I used a die since there was usually less than 10 people), then choose a game from their suggestions randomly. If the player did not have any suggestions, I would just choose another player randomly. That would keep the games rolling in from the active players, allowing someone to do the /happyDance when their game was up instead of "Great! Cosmo Gang!"

With that said, here's my list

Jr Pac Man

Ms. Pac-man (Turbo)

Bubbles

Nibbler

Wonder Boy

Black Tiger

Oli-Boo-Chu

Red Alert

Jumping Jack

B

Thanks for the suggestion, Bigbee. I like that idea and I think I'll go with that. :)

By the way, the controllers for my MAME cab are Mag-Stik plus controllers and a Happ arcade trackball. I have to get used to the sticks because in 8-way mode, the throw is VERY short, making the sticks "corner happy." Hopefully I can get used to that, otherwise I may have to switch it out for something a little looser.

By the way, the controllers for my MAME cab are Mag-Stik plus controllers and a Happ arcade trackball. I have to get used to the sticks because in 8-way mode, the throw is VERY short, making the sticks "corner happy." Hopefully I can get used to that, otherwise I may have to switch it out for something a little looser.

That's what I thought. I considered Mag-Stik plus sticks for my project, but in researching it several people had the "short throw" complaint in 8-way mode that you speak of, which caused me to look elsewhere.

It's a shame really, because it's such a great concept. Also, not only are 8-way games the majority, but sitting here I can't think of a single game that would use a 4-way stick in the player 2 position, so the capability is kind of wasted on that side. Most classic 4-way games that allowed two players were turn based and used a single stick. Even if you swapped out the player 2 side for a conventional 8-way, I'd think it would stink for dual-stick games like Robotron, because the two sticks would feel too different from one another. Hope you can get used to them and enjoy them.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from vacation in New England. I forget how nice it is up there during the winter. If you don't like snow, that's not the place for you. Anyway, I didn't want anyone to think I forgot about you. :) Check out the poll if you haven't already. It closes at midnight, New Year's Day! :)

Ok everyone! First off...HAPPY NEW YEAR! :)

The table is built. Everyone who suggested games has been entered, along with all of their suggestions. Each player who suggested a game has been assigned a number. Using a random number generator, it will select the player. Then using that same RNG, it will select the game for that week. The selected game will be removed from all player lists so as not to have repeats.

I will try to provide a link to where the ROM can be found, but seeing as I'm a bit out of the loop, my links may or may not be good. I will use the remainder of this week to research decent links.

Remember, all are welcome to play. The more, the merrier! I can't wait to get started. There are a lot of games suggested that I've never played before, so I look forward to playing some new stuff. :) Good luck to all and most importantly, have fun! :)

Edited by Deteacher
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...