IGNORED

Atari Flashback 4 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition...

Includes two classic paddles!

Copy of the original patent signed by Nolan Bushnell!

Is at Sam's Club in San Berdoo, SoCal for $38.98!

Copy of what original patent with his signature? Nolan wasn't part of the 2600 series of patents, and only filed for one patent during his time at Atari (for the spot motion technology Ted said he created), 3,793,483 awarded on Feb 19, 1974.

Anyone else find it ironic that the system to kill off pong/hard-coded systems is now one of them?

There's no code in PONG systems, I think you mean "dedicated systems." And yes, it's an irony we were happy to create. ;)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it was obvious that he was reflecting on the irony that the console meant to kill off dedicated console's

It was never designed with the killing of dedicated consoles in mind. In fact the idea of having the 2600 a dedicated system as well (still microprocessor based but with games built in on ROM) was investigated as well during it's initial design.

is now one of them thanks to these various plug and plays over recent years.

And that's why it says "Yes, that was an irony we were happy to create."

Anyone else still waiting for theirs to be delivered? I ordered my Deluxe Edition Flashback 4 at the end of October. I'm in Alaska and I normally expect to wait a little longer for shipping. But I'm starting to wonder if Atgames has forgotten me?

I got a couple of emails from AtGames about the delay. Mine was delivered just after Christmas (and I'm in North Carolina). Kind of pissed off to see the $38.98 price sticker on a pre-order item that cost $49.99.

Does the Deluxe edition include Millipede?

AFAIK, that is exclusive to the Bed, Bath, and Beyond model. I have not hooked up my deluxe yet to verify.

In addition to the paddles, the deluxe edition also includes a five poster set, not the single poster with the regular edition.

The copy of the patent is # 4,349,708 by James Asher for the Atari joystick controller. It is dated Sep. 14, 1982.

In addition to the paddles, the deluxe edition also includes a five poster set, not the single poster with the regular edition.

The copy of the patent is # 4,349,708 by James Asher for the Atari joystick controller. It is dated Sep. 14, 1982.

Except that's not the actual original patent for Atari joystick controller, that's for the later CX-40 controllers. The actual original CX-10 mechanism is by Gerald Aamot and John Hayashi and is patent #4,124,787. That's what happens when you have people putting these things together that don't know their history like when they tried to put an Atari Games poster in the Flashback 3. ;)

• Like 1

Speaking of details, does this latest iteration of the FB have anything to do with the FB2 (my personal fave)? Or is this just a cookie cutter product they'll pop out every Christmas?...the paddles sound intriguing though.

Read back in the thread. The FB3 & 4 have nothing to do with the 2. These have been done by a Chinese company that's using an inaccurate emulator.

I ordered my Flashback back in October, got it, but never received the paddles that do NOT come with the game. They keep getting delayed and it is very frustrating. Half the system can not be used until the paddles come in, and I still wait. THey have to get their stuff together because this is bad business practices.

• 4 weeks later...

Just bought the FB 4 40th Anniversary console at SAMs Club for $38. Color me "relatively" happy. I was on the fence on buying yet another plug n play since they tend to look bad on HDTV sets, and offer limited game selection. But the price point was too good to pass up for the paddles, the posters and the ability to play wirelessly.

The FB 4 emulation looks a whole lot better on HDTV as compared to my FB 2's authentic hardware (I know the technology wasn't designed for that.) The wireless joysticks work surprisingly well, even upto 12 feet from the console (after 6 years of the Wii, it's not that hard to keep the controller pointed at the receiver.)

The paddles do have a bit of play and lag on the FB 4, but it seems to be a problem with the emulation. They play flawlessly on the FB 2's paddle games, so the AT Games paddle appears to have credible specs.

My goal is to ultimately use the controllers with adapters to somehow play Stella on a computer connected to my living room TV or get the next gen 2600 console that offers an SD card.

Good to hear you seem to like it radiohead! The anticipation is really getting hard to ignore. I still haven't received the Anniversary Edition Flashback 4 that I pre-ordered in October. But I did get an email from Atgames last week letting me know that they now had some ready to ship. They asked me if I still wanted mine and I couldn't type "YES" fast enough.

• 1 month later...

• Wow!! The Flashback 4 Deluxe Edition that I ordered in October finally arrived yesterday. At Games kept me in the loop about every month with an email, but I was beginning to wonder if it would ever show. I hooked it up last night and can say I'm quite pleased. The wireless joysticks are awesome and seem to have quite a range. Space Invaders is a dud, way too slow and so easy I got bored before I finished a game. Some of the other games are great though. I enjoyed Polaris, Dodg'em and Circus Atari (even with the delayed reaction of the paddle controller). Best of all was Stellar Track! I've always been a bit of a nut about that one.

• 2 weeks later...