IGNORED

Donkey Kong Nes for $175,000,is it worth this much?

Donkey Kong is pretty rare for the NES, especially the cartridge that doesn't pair it with Donkey Kong Junior. A factory-sealed box will drive the price up even more. I could see this going for three figures, four figures even.

Six? Not so much.

Really? I see DK carts for ~$15 on a very regular basis, with boxed versions sitting around $35. I'm talking about the black label cart specifically. The orange label cart is usually about $5.

Really? I see DK carts for ~$15 on a very regular basis, with boxed versions sitting around $35. I'm talking about the black label cart specifically. The orange label cart is usually about $5.

The factory seal is what would drive the price up. I should mention I think this could sell for four figures, if you found the right buyer who wanted it really, really badly. It would be a low four-figure number, to be sure. Three figures is much more realistic.

And yeah, I get that the guy doesn't really think he'll get $175,000 for it, but the listing still smacks of "HAI L@@K WUT I GOT!" But maybe that's not how he meant it, so, okay.

This is the sort of thing I just don't understand. I like collecting games because I like the history, the nostalgia.. but most of all I like to play them.

I understand wanting CIB games. There's a few classics I have tracked down CIB just to have well.. a complete copy.

I can somewhat see the attraction of the sealed games as it's like having something mint / new, but you certainly can't play it or even look at it really (other than the box). Then there's the whole grading thing which to me is insane.

But what really blows my mind here is that you can get a fully restored original Donkey Kong arcade machine for under $2,000 all day long. You can get just a working nice Donkey Kong for around $500. Why in the hell would you pay thousands for the Nintendo game then? I dunno.. I guess i'll never understand that aspect of collecting. I wouldn't pay more than $20 for a sealed Donkey Kong NES, which is what I paid back in 1988 or whenever. It's no longer the version you want to play anyway.

• Like 1

Does anybody actually buy VGA rated games? I've seen countless collection pics/videos and I don't remember a single one with VGA sealed stuff.

I never would. It's a travesty to seal up something and slap a grade on it. Ruined the sports card hobby, ruined the comic hobby, now trying to ruin the game hobby.

• Like 1