IGNORED

D.K. VCS

Joe Musashi

If you take offense to getting venetian blinds or other artifacts on your screen, then go out to Goodwill, Salvation Army, pawn shop, or whatever local thrift store and buy an old CRT television set for less than the cost of a modern homebrew.

point=missed. I have a CRT that I regularly use for gaming, and I'm not aiming for a CRT effect, nor am I offended.

If I output an interlaced frame on my 2600 to my HDTV, I get better than CRT quality when it comes to flickering sprites. The result looks like phosphor mode on Stella, with a fine comb lines.

• Like 1

Most of these are the bigger late model flatscreens, so I don't know how good they are compared to the older curved tube models.

"Domed" CRT TVs are the way to go man, plus you can use light gun (Zapper) games with them! :cool:

If you can find a good dome TV that accepts composite video you can run the A/V cables from game consoles that support them, otherwise use an RF modulator. My used game store has a ton of cheap RF modulators that piggyback on the A/V connector at the rear of the game console, however a quality stand-alone RF modulator purchased at retail will often yield a superior signal with less color bleed, compared to most 3rd party "accessory" modulators, or sometimes even the stock modulators built into the 8- and 16-bit era consoles, at least those ones that had a choice of video outputs.

4th generation (SNES, Genesis/MD, Turbo) and down, use a CRT. 5th generation (N64, PS1) and up, use an LCD TV for superior picture. Although I will say this, if you have one of those rare LCD TVs that still supports S-Video, absolutely nothing compares to the clarity of SNES with an S-Video connection, par none! However, if you do decide to connect an old game console to the shiny new widescreen, please make sure to adjust your aspect ratio to 4:3 pillarbox mode... :roll:

Currently in my bedroom I have a ultra low-latency ASUS 1080p LCD monitor that I use for all my HD systems (Wii-U, PS3, and Ouya) and a CRT set for all my retro consoles. Unfortunately the LCD monitor doesn't support composite so I have to hook up the Game Cube and N64 to the CRT which still isn't bad. Hint: For HD consoles, 1920x1080 PC monitors generally have much lower latency than most HDTVs, and no overscan!

absolutely nothing compares to the clarity of SNES with an S-Video connection, par none!

I can think of at least one thing... a SNES game played on my Android stick over HDMI.

If I had a physical SNES (have never even touched one, so no nostalgia) I would totally be getting it out right now for a photographic comparison.

I can think of at least one thing... a SNES game played on my Android stick over HDMI.

If I had a physical SNES (have never even touched one, so no nostalgia) I would totally be getting it out right now for a photographic comparison.

FTW, I was referring to official real hardware. RetroN5 will trump all game consoles in terms of quality with it's HDMI outputs. I plan on getting one this year. Hopefully they don't sell out.

Oh, and get an SNES. Well, if you can handle all the buttons, that is! :lol:

FTW, I was referring to official real hardware. RetroN5 will trump all game consoles in terms of quality with it's HDMI outputs. I plan on getting one this year. Hopefully they don't sell out.

Oh, and get an SNES. Well, if you can handle all the buttons, that is! :lol:

I normally use emulators with an Xbox 360 controller, since they're a superset of every currently emulatable (by my hardware) system's controller. So, not too afraid of buttons here. My biggest complaint with the Wiimote is that it didn't have enough inputs and developers porting games were often forced to map button presses on the PS3/360 to borderline-obscene motions on the Wiimote. (I'm concerned that the same will be true of the new Steam controller, except it'll be touch gestures instead of shakes.)

But I do also have a USB Atari joystick for Stella, for when a D-pad or analog stick won't do, and a Hanaho arcade stick with 14 buttons and 2 sticks that weighs like 20 pounds.

As far as CRTs go, we'll be recycling three of them in the next month or two, and our last one will be replaced before the winter's over. As I said on the "In search of Scanlines" thread, purism in the name of nostalgia is a rabbit hole that leads, at least for me, to unhealthy places.

Which is why I'm so happy to see demake remakes like this one. A purist would either play the crappy Coleco version on a heavy sixer and an early '80s vintage television with antenna terminals and a switchbox, or get a 1981 Donkey Kong cabinet. My 47" LED-backlit LCD, Stella with phosphor effect enabled, and an Xbox controller are just fine. (So is MAME, when I want the original or D2K.)

Edited by raindog

I normally use emulators with an Xbox 360 controller, since they're a superset of every currently emulatable (by my hardware) system's controller. So, not too afraid of buttons here. My biggest complaint with the Wiimote is that it didn't have enough inputs and developers porting games were often forced to map button presses on the PS3/360 to borderline-obscene motions on the Wiimote. (I'm concerned that the same will be true of the new Steam controller, except it'll be touch gestures instead of shakes.)

Get a classic controller with Wiimote attachment. You may want to stock up now in case you download VC titles through the Wii-U/Wii shop. Wii still has a much larger library of games currently compared to Wii-U, and it's the only place to get N64, Genesis, and Turbo games, so download away while you still can. Wii-U Pro controller is not backwards compatible with Wii software unfortunately, and I'm afraid the Wiimote dongle classic controllers may be discontinued soon.

Death to waggle controls is a good thing IMO. Seems like every game mapped an extra button to the Wiimote in the form of "waggle" even the spin move in Mario Galaxy did this.

Oops, I edited my last one due to premature posting and the forum for once didn't tell me there was a new post before I submitted it again.

Get a classic controller with Wiimote attachment. You may want to stock up now in case you download VC titles through the Wii-U/Wii shop.

I have a classic controller. It's okay, but I ended up getting an Xbox (original) to Wiimote adapter to play Xenoblade with. I can't imagine why someone would recommend a classic controller over an Xbox 360 or PS3 controller. It's missing half a dozen buttons, clickable sticks and analog triggers, and is the only video game controller I've ever owned with a cord coming out of the bottom. I even prefer the Wavebird.

We spent around $200 on the VC and Wiiware, and when our launch-day Wii died out of warranty and we bought a replacement, we found we couldn't transfer any of it over. (Yes, twerps on forums have informed me I could have just sent them both to Japan or wherever. I shouldn't have to jump through hoops to play games I've bought, especially when I don't have to jump through those hoops to play illegal copies of them from the interwebs.) Nintendo will never get another dime out of us for intangible goods until they fix that policy, which is still in place on the Wii U. I look forward to playing the games we bought again when we build a gaming PC sometime this winter, install Dolphin and hit the torrents. (Of course, I can already play all the VC games on the Android stick, and with my choice of controllers at that.)

At least we're talking about an on-topic company now.

Oops, I edited my last one due to premature posting and the forum for once didn't tell me there was a new post before I submitted it again.

I have a classic controller. It's okay, but I ended up getting an Xbox (original) to Wiimote adapter to play Xenoblade with. I can't imagine why someone would recommend a classic controller over an Xbox 360 or PS3 controller. It's missing half a dozen buttons, clickable sticks and analog triggers, and is the only video game controller I've ever owned with a cord coming out of the bottom. I even prefer the Wavebird.

We spent around $200 on the VC and Wiiware, and when our launch-day Wii died out of warranty and we bought a replacement, we found we couldn't transfer any of it over. (Yes, twerps on forums have informed me I could have just sent them both to Japan or wherever. I shouldn't have to jump through hoops to play games I've bought, especially when I don't have to jump through those hoops to play illegal copies of them from the interwebs.) Nintendo will never get another dime out of us for intangible goods until they fix that policy, which is still in place on the Wii U. I look forward to playing the games we bought again when we build a gaming PC sometime this winter, install Dolphin and hit the torrents. (Of course, I can already play all the VC games on the Android stick, and with my choice of controllers at that.)

At least we're talking about an on-topic company now.

Sucks that you lost the games you purchased. I had a close call as my Wii was starting to fail, crashing and getting all sorts of errors. Miraculously, I was able to run the Wii-U software transfer utility. I literally did not play my Wii at all for months waiting for Wii-U so I could transfer the software before my Wii stopped working. It still works somewhat but freezes up a lot - I think the flash was starting to going bad from all of the rewrite cycles due to loading software off the SD card menu. I was able to back up my data to Wii-U but others such as yourself were not so lucky. :_(

I had a similar incident with my 3DS recently where I misplaced it for over three months from May through July 2013 and thought it was gone for good. I had a pair of pants with shallow pockets that it would occasionally try to slip out of my pocket while driving or biking and I assumed it was simply gone. I finally found it stuck in the back of the couch while I was trying to locate my cellphone (that damned couch eats everything). It got scuffed up a bit from being wedged between the springs on the recliner but aside from some minor cosmetic damage to the finish my pink 3DS xL is fine. The incident has made me more weary of taking it everywhere just for the pedometer and very rarely getting a street pass hit. If I lose it, I'll lose a lot of investment in games and Nintendo have a policy that they will not refresh my purchased games unless I send in the original nonworking/broken system, or submit a police report if stolen. If it falls out of my pocket on the bus, or at a bar, while riding my bike, or who knows where else, I'm screwed, and all my downloads are gone with it. I'm almost contemplating affixing an adhesive label with my mailing address and cell phone number to the bottom of my 3DS in case it ever gets lost somewhere in the wild and a good Samaritan chances to find it.

Despite these issues with Nintendo download service, I still do not condone piracy though. I also buy games at retail whenever possible to protect my investment, but I still have a crapton of VC titles and smaller download-only indie style games.

Edited by stardust4ever

Despite these issues with Nintendo download service, I still do not condone piracy though.

I really don't think downloading games I've bought and then lost to hardware failure counts as piracy. Nintendo would, but then, Nintendo thinks it's acceptable to make customers forfeit downloadable games (and unspent points, for that matter) when their hardware fails, which I consider fraudulent.

I've also downloaded every one of the 60+ DS games I've bought, to include on the flash cartridge I bought for homebrew , and have re-downloaded every arcade ROM that came with each of the Microsoft Arcade series and my Hanaho stick's companion CD, as MAME versions required new formats. There's obviously a pretty big grey area, or I wouldn't be able to download hundreds of VCS roms right here at AtariAge. I'm certainly not going to put up a ROM site or anything, other than what I already have with my hacks (also technically piracy, by the way, but knock on wood, only one threat in 14 years and it was a crank) and demos.

As someone whose sexuality was illegal in many parts of my country including my home state until well into my adulthood, I'm able to differentiate between law, ethics, and what's practical. It's a valuable survival skill.

• Like 1

* Update * Update * Update *

We now have a smashing new game element, one everbody has been waiting for!

It's still work in progress, but a playable DK version with this new feature will be shown for the first time at this year's PRGE!

The binary will be posted here shortly after the end of the show.

This is great news Joe! Thank you so much for sharing the development of this game with us. This is one of the things that makes Atari Age my favorite Internet site.

* Update * Update * Update *

We now have a smashing new game element, one everbody has been waiting for!

It's still work in progress, but a playable DK version with this new feature will be shown for the first time at this year's PRGE!

The binary will be posted here shortly after the end of the show.

M0ar Sp01LRz, PLZ! :evil:

Oh do tell! Does it have anything to do with that barrel whacking mallet thing?

This thread needs moderator attention. It's off-topic too many times.

2 L8! :evil:

Had you posted 15 minutes sooner, your point would have had validity though! :lol:

That's because the guy behind it is spending more time designing the game than posting in an internet forum. We all need to get out and play more, whether it be outside or holding a joystick in front of the TV. :music:

Finally someone who's getting it. :) There will be a new announcement one of the next days. ;)

:grin: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Edited by stardust4ever

Speaking of domed crts...I'm a bit too lazy to try, but I have a CRT from Sony that is kinda flatscreened...made in 02, I think? Will I have any problems with light gun games? I thought the lightguns only didn't work on the newer non-CRT televisions...I'm kinda away from my system now, does anybody know? Thanks.

It's not the screen (non)-curvature that matters but the display technology utilized. As long as it's a CRT, the light gun games will work just fine.

I hope you will post more pictures of the show soon (loved the live cam you had some years ago).

I can tell you a live cam from this show wouldn't have worked at all, unless perhaps you purchase the "Premium Internet" wireless from the convention center for what is way too much money. Cell service is atrocious in the hall, and they charge $13 a day for internet that isn't much better!

..Al