IGNORED

D.K. VCS

Joe Musashi

Here are some photos I took yesterday of D.K. VCS (click for larger images):

..Al

Thanks for the pictures, Al !!!

It looks great on those 1702 monitors. I really need to mod one of my consoles.

(BTW, the Circus AtariAge title screen looks quite fascinating. Can't wait to see the new version.)

• Like 1

Did Michael J Fox take this photo? :)

Yeah, that's one of the few things about iOS 7 I'm not to thrilled about. Before the iPhone wouldn't take the picture until you released the on-screen button, now it takes the photo when you press it, which increases the chance of motion blur. It's probably ok with a newer iPhone that takes a bunch of photos at once.

What a beautiful sight that is... wish we had that kind of retro gaming convention here on the east coast. My 1702 had a 30-year life, serving as a monitor for two C64s, a C128, Amiga, NES, Genesis, two different Famiclones, Gamecube and Wii until my stepdad sold my mom's house this past spring. (Maybe it's still going somewhere else; I have no idea what he did with the stuff I left behind.)

D.K. VCS has to have been the belle of that ball.

Now that PRGE is over, it is about time to post another update. This new version is mostly identical to the one displayed at the show, it only includes a number of additional fixes.

There's just one new game feature, but we have finally a working hammer! :-D

Still there are a lot of limitations, e.g., the hammer can only be displayed on the second floor. We will see how much more accurate this can be made. At least it should be possible to add the hammering music.

Have fun !

post-27536-0-69008600-1381355190_thumb.pngpost-27536-0-00184200-1381355198_thumb.png

D.K.VCS_131009_NTSC.bin

D.K.VCS_131009_PAL60.bin

• Like 4

This code seems very impressive. I would like to see it running on the real CRT. I think that using scrolling to match vertical arcade playfield layouts is not the best idea for home video games. For instance take the Genesis version of Ms Pac Man... I mean by using off screen playfields that scroll, the player cannot see the whole area at once, unlike in the arcade version and that obviously means diffrent gameplay and difficulty...

This code seems very impressive. I would like to see it running on the real CRT. I think that using scrolling to match vertical arcade playfield layouts is not the best idea for home video games. For instance take the Genesis version of Ms Pac Man... I mean by using off screen playfields that scroll, the player cannot see the whole area at once, unlike in the arcade version and that obviously means diffrent gameplay and difficulty...

Donkey Kong is different than Pac-Man, though. The only screen where it matters whether you can see the top is the third one, and in this version, the springs always come down in the same location.

I think this is an excellent solution to the eternal "most arcade games are portrait mode" porting problem.

Donkey Kong is different than Pac-Man, though. The only screen where it matters whether you can see the top is the third one, and in this version, the springs always come down in the same location.

I think this is an excellent solution to the eternal "most arcade games are portrait mode" porting problem.

I might also mention that the CPU is not idle in the black areas. Even if I would remove the status display to gain more room, I would not have the cycles to handle more enemies.

Anyway, it's too late to change things now, but there are alternative projects that use a different approach.

I might also mention that the CPU is not idle in the black areas. Even if I would remove the status display to gain more room, I would not have the cycles to handle more enemies.

Anyway, it's too late to change things now, but there are alternative projects that use a different approach.

Yeah, I really wouldn't want you to change things, anyway. Glad to see others haven't been discouraged, and for bB that other one is looking pretty impressive, but what you've done is superb.

Man, this is quite awesome... Two competing Donkey Kong games. Both different but both very good. I'm a big enough Donkey Kong fan that I may have to get both! ;)

What is the other competing DK game? I am familiar with "Jumpman", but I thought that it was no longer being worked on. Is it being worked on also, or is there something else I am unaware of.

Either way, I agree. As I remember, they both have their strong points, although only this version was playable in game format.

What is the other competing DK game? I am familiar with "Jumpman", but I thought that it was no longer being worked on. Is it being worked on also, or is there something else I am unaware of.

Either way, I agree. As I remember, they both have their strong points, although only this version was playable in game format.

The another DK game has a very complicated name and it's using DPC+ :) DKbBDPC+ http://atariage.com/forums/topic/216037-dkbbdpc-source-code-learn-help-needed/

I am familiar with "Jumpman", but I thought that it was no longer being worked on. Is it being worked on also, or is there something else I am unaware of.

I have Timmy!, a Jumpman inpsired game in the pipeline. I'm currently wrapping up Chun-Li, after which I plan to take a few month off from Atari projects. Next year's plans are to finish Frantic, then figure out what Timmy! will become since Think Geek is no longer involved in that project.

• Like 1

I have Timmy!, a Jumpman inpsired game in the pipeline. I'm currently wrapping up Chun-Li, after which I plan to take a few month off from Atari projects. Next year's plans are to finish Frantic, then figure out what Timmy! will become since Think Geek is no longer involved in that project.

When I saw "Timmy!", I thought it was a game about the wheelchair kid on South Park :)

-B