IGNORED

D.K. VCS

Joe Musashi

• 4 weeks later...

Wouldn't that be great? Although D.K. VCS is 32K Superchip, and DK Arcade 2600 is 32K DPC+. You would need a custom Melody board, 2 Melody boards, or one Melody board and one board with a Superchip.

OK, fine, so twist my arm and make me buy both. As long as they both come CIB, I'm fine with that. :)

• 6 months later...

Well, it's still WIP, but I guess it's about time I finish this. There is not much more ROM space left :(, so it will be mostly bug fixing. I will probably get back to it when I have reached the next milestone of my current project.

Thank you very much for the answer.

Please, don't let it unfinished: I think a lot of people like me it's waiting for an official release.

Donkey Kong VCS is the game that I want for Christmas, exactly like almost 30 years ago! :)

What is your new project? Maybe Mario Bros VCS? :D

Thanks

• Like 1

If you need extra space for more features, levels etc. I am sure I can do some magic there. :)

Thanks! I really appreciate your offer. There's one more feature I'd like to have. I'll contact you when I resume the project and have cleaned up the code a little.

Please, don't let it unfinished: I think a lot of people like me it's waiting for an official release.

Donkey Kong VCS is the game that I want for Christmas, exactly like almost 30 years ago! :)

Ah, better not hold your breath for this year's Christmas :)

• Like 1

Thanks! I really appreciate your offer. There's one more feature I'd like to have. I'll contact you when I resume the project and have cleaned up the code a little.

... :)

Do take Thomas up on his offer.

If your game is 2K, he will find about 3K free, seriously!

He was born speaking 6507, then learned to talk, I'm sure.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to congratulate on a fantastic job. I am not an Atari guy really, but somehow got fascinated by the programming of this console as its a fantastic challenge. Having played some with programming for the device its certainly amazing what you have managed to push through the Stella. But I understand you also rely on some external hardware? How does that work, will making cartridges with the game be very costly?

Edited by johncl

Just wanted to echo johncl's sentiment. I love my 2600 but I wouldn't know where to begin coding for it. That doesn't mean I can't appreciate the skills and work that go into projects like this (I've read Racing the Beam ;) ). Amazing stuff guys (on both new ports). Now if you could just do the same for Mario Bros (cut scenes and the like) that would be great, thanks. I'll even give you a cookie!

Seriously though, great stuff. :)

Just wanted to congratulate on a fantastic job. I am not an Atari guy really, but somehow got fascinated by the programming of this console as its a fantastic challenge. Having played some with programming for the device its certainly amazing what you have managed to push through the Stella. But I understand you also rely on some external hardware? How does that work, will making cartridges with the game be very costly?

The author may choose to answer, but from what I understand it is programmed in assembly with a normal bank switching method used back in the day with additional 128 bytes of cartridge RAM called Superchip, which was used in games like Dig Dug, Millipede, Stargate, Crystal Castles, and others.

Today that extra memory can be duplicated, not costing a great deal, in AtariAge cart hardware called Melody, Melody Light, or Melody Light Light. Also a cart can be built using the Superchip from an original Superchip game.

Just wanted to echo johncl's sentiment. I love my 2600 but I wouldn't know where to begin coding for it. That doesn't mean I can't appreciate the skills and work that go into projects like this (I've read Racing the Beam ;) ). Amazing stuff guys (on both new ports). Now if you could just do the same for Mario Bros (cut scenes and the like) that would be great, thanks. I'll even give you a cookie!

Seriously though, great stuff. :)

I think the OTHER excellent DK conversion, using 2600 basic, takes advantage of the DSP...

I'm using an F4 (32K ROM) bankswitching scheme with additional 128 byte SARA (Superchip) RAM. (You can see this if you press Alt+l in Stella.)

The F4 scheme is a "standard" Atari bankswitching type, though AFAIK there was only one F4 32K game in the 80s. As iesposta already said, SARA RAM was quite common.

Most of my ROM space is used for the graphics as I'm using most of the arcade animation frames. Also, due to the multi-coloring all sprite graphics has to be there essentially twice.

post-27536-0-56038300-1411674356_thumb.png

I believe DK Arcade also uses a 32K ROM.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's still WIP, but I guess it's about time I finish this. There is not much more ROM space left :(, so it will be mostly bug fixing. I will probably get back to it when I have reached the next milestone of my current project.

And when a physical cart of this comes out you got my money! :D