IGNORED

D.K. VCS

Joe Musashi

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

In case you are in search for yet another reason to attend PRGE, here would be one.

AtariAge is going to showcase a new updated version of D.K. VCS. In addition to a number of small improvements, hightlights of this version are:

• A more forgiving collision detection that allows for some overlap with enemies.
  • In the Japanese setting, barrels won't come down ladders if Mario's hand is aligned with the top of a girder (as in the arcade version).
  • Level progression. The game gets gradually more difficullt in each level (for now only available in stages 1 and 2).

I will post the ROM here once PRGE is over.

• Like 8

• In the Japanese setting, barrels won't come down ladders if Mario's hand is aligned with the top of a girder (as in the arcade version).

I always wondered about this. On my NES, I could park Mario/Jumpman on the top of a ladder and not get hit by barrels, but try this on the arcade game and got my ass handed to me. Some other ports, it's a crap shoot.

So the Japanese order arcade game (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) you can do this? Cool! :cool:

In case you are in search for yet another reason to attend PRGE, here would be one.

AtariAge is going to showcase a new updated version of D.K. VCS. In addition to a number of small improvements, hightlights of this version are:

• A more forgiving collision detection that allows for some overlap with enemies.
  • Level progression. The game gets gradually more difficullt in each level (for now only available in stages 1 and 2).
I will post the ROM here once PRGE is over.

Is PRGE over yet?

Now that PRGE is over (well, for most of us :)) it's time to post the ROMs.

In addition to the new features, there are two smaller changes:

• In stage 2, the fireball comes from outside the screen, and does not just pop up anymore.
  • In stage 4, the flames do appear on the opposite side of Mario.

I will soon post another version with level progression also for stages 3 and 4. This is currently highly experimental and will need some fine tuning.

Have fun!

D.K.VCS_PRGE_151015_NTSC.bin

D.K.VCS_PRGE_151015_PAL60.bin

• Like 13

Yay for Dee-Kay!!! My harmony has more than paid for itself, considering I wasn't able to make it. And I still buy the games upon release if they're enjoyable. Sometimes time escapes and game is delayed or unfinished, I still have the PRGE demo to play. I'm still waiting on Circus AtariAge as the 2013 PRGE demo was fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...

As everyone already knows - this latest PRGE update has made this already awesome game even better! I'd like to add my humble suggestion for a future revision.

When Mario is climbing either up or down, when he reaches the top or bottom of the ladder, Mario is unable to jump quickly. After a movement left or right, and he is able to go just fine. I notice this mostly on level 2 (factory level).

With the increasing difficultly in the levels now and faster barrels, an immediate jump (such as in the arcade version) would be helpful.

Edited by pac_man_fan

As everyone already knows - this latest PRGE update has made this already awesome game even better! I'd like to add my humble suggestion for a future revision.

When Mario is climbing either up or down, when he reaches the top or bottom of the ladder, Mario is unable to jump quickly. After a movement left or right, and he is able to go just fine. I notice this mostly on level 2 (factory level).

With the increasing difficultly in the levels now and faster barrels, an immediate jump (such as in the arcade version) would be helpful.

Thanks for the info!

Actually, you can jump when reaching the end of the ladder without having to move to the left or right. However, there seems to be some lag before Mario can jump. I will have a look, maybe I can fix this.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say this almost brought tears to my eyes. It actually IS possible to bring a port of my favorite arcade game of all time to its contemporary. From the title screen that's an almost perfect copy of the original to the fact that it has all four panels. Back in the days I would have killed to get this game for my Atari.

Edited by MeneerJansen

Just wanted to say this almost brought tears to my eyes. It actually IS possible to bring a port of my favorite arcade game of all time to its contemporary. From the title screen that's an almost perfect copy of the original to the fact that it has all four panels. Back in the days I would have killed to get this game for my Atari.

"Panels"! Hadn't heard stages, boards or levels described like that in a while. :lol:

To make it even more like the original one might alter the collision detection a bit. Just like someone did w/ E.T. (see this link) which made it more playable. In the arcade version of D. Kong jumping over fire balls and barrels was not as "unforgiving" as in this version. I'm used to that. You could "touch" the barrels a bit. Just like in Pac Man: the ghosts could touch you, but only if your center and theirs touched you'd die.

But this port is damn near perfect! I especially like the fact that Mario jumps like in the real thing. Some ports have Mario jump very weird. I can't really explain it in words: just try some ports (like the "official" port of Mario Bros to the Atari 2600).

Edited by MeneerJansen

To make it even more like the original one might alter the collision detection a bit. Just like someone did w/ E.T. (see this link) which made it more playable. In the arcade version of D. Kong jumping over fire balls and barrels was not as "unforgiving" as in this version. I'm used to that. You could "touch" the barrels a bit. Just like in Pac Man: the ghosts could touch you, but only if your center and theirs touched you'd die.

But this port is damn near perfect! I especially like the fact that Mario jumps like in the real thing. Some ports have Mario jump very weird. I can't really explain it in words: just try some ports (like the "official" port of Mario Bros to the Atari 2600).

Have you tried the latest version? Currently, this is how close a barrel must get to produce a hit.

post-27536-0-76102900-1448132154_thumb.png

I don't think there should be a full overlap (i.e., the centers match), but I guess I could allow one more pixel if this doesn't make it too easy. I'll have a look...

• Like 1