IGNORED

D.K. VCS

Joe Musashi

Joe, could you please post a preview video of your latest D.K. VCS on your first post? Perhaps linked to youtube or something. Time permitting of course.

I like discussing this game various places, and want to have a high quality video of it (preferably from you).

I love this version!

You could use PCAE (link) to record the video. Stella unfortunately does not support recording video.

Joe, could you please post a preview video of your latest D.K. VCS on your first post? Perhaps linked to youtube or something. Time permitting of course.

I like discussing this game various places, and want to have a high quality video of it (preferably from you).

I love this version!

I'm sorry. I don't have the time right now. If anybody wants to make a video, please feel free to do so.

I would probably run the rom in Stella with Phosphor blend at 50% and Blargg filters on, and then record at 60Hz with some kind of grabber like Bandicam, Fraps, etc.

• Like 1

This game looks amazing! great job on it! :) I tried it out on emulator a little and it worked well, but when i transfered it to a 32k cartridge PCB and tried it on my console it will not work properly :/ When the gameplay is starting Mario does not appear and I can not do anything, anybody know why this happen?

• Like 1

This game looks amazing! great job on it! :) I tried it out on emulator a little and it worked well, but when i transfered it to a 32k cartridge PCB and tried it on my console it will not work properly :/ When the gameplay is starting Mario does not appear and I can not do anything, anybody know why this happen?

It uses F4SC for bank switching. You probably do not have the extra super chip ram.

Wow, that's a really great video!

"He looks like he has braces..." :lol:

Kind of reminds me when we played the arcade version as kids ("Crazy Kong" actually around here). I really had a hard time jumping over the barrels. Someone helped me getting past the first screen, and the pie factory was the first one I mastered.

• Like 3

Thanks for the video Vector! Very entertaining! :)

"Merrio" approves this message. :P

It would be neat to see how your daughter would do with arcade donkey kong (mame).

This is a brilliant port of Donkey Kong! The ending cut scene (rivets stage) is amazing to see on the **Atari 2600**.

Edited by KAZ
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for Easters eggs? Here's one more for you :)

What's new:

• All new Kong PAL and NTSC colors that should reduce flicker considerably (thanks to Thomas Jentzsch and Turbo-Torch).
  • Bonus timer value and speed now depend on the current level as in the arcade version.
  • The oil barrel flame in the first stage is animated.
  • And ... Pauline's handbag, hat, and umbrella are now there for the taking. (They are scattered over the last three stages.)

This project is finally getting close to a release candidate. So, what's next?

• I'll go over the documents at wiki.donkeykonggenius.com and see if there are any inaccuracies that can be easily fixed.
  • More code cleanup to see if anything else could be squeezed in.
  • Some players seem to be irritated that Mario can jump through the elevator. Unlike in the arcade version there is no horizontal collision detection, and Mario isn't blocked when hitting the platform from the side. Maybe I can free enough space to fix that.
  • Finally, I'd like to add some kind of two player cooperation mode. When we played the arcade machine as kids, we often did this in a way where one kid would control the direction, while the other would operate the jump button. That could be nice with two 2600 controllers.

Happy Easter!

post-27536-0-21591900-1459109894_thumb.pngpost-27536-0-37881300-1459109903_thumb.png
post-27536-0-05298300-1459109914_thumb.pngpost-27536-0-51253000-1459109922_thumb.png

D.K.VCS_160327_NTSC.bin

D.K.VCS_160327_PAL60.bin

• Like 13

Very good!

I have some suggestions, if you don't mind:

I would reduce a bit the PF color bright, because the flicker makes the sprites darker.

If you kill the first fireball, can the barrels roll down that area?

The game is too easy, can you make Mario walk slower? I think the same speed as the first fireball.

Make him jumps shorter, also.

On the elevator level, you can remove these PF pixels to avoid a jump that skips the elevator, see the image.

post-10940-0-01290000-1459122564_thumb.png

You're right.

I've played 3 loops and the game gets more difficult. The speed seems ok now, but I still thinking the "ladder climbing speed" should be slower.

The spring on elevator level is too slow even after 3 loops. I think the speed do not change after the second loop?

I miss the telescoping ladders on pie factory level.

How about respawn the fire enemies some time after killing it with hammer?

Thanks for all the suggestions. There's not much room for changes. At this point anything new is a hack, but I'll have a look.

Very good!

I have some suggestions, if you don't mind:

I would reduce a bit the PF color bright, because the flicker makes the sprites darker.

I'd like to match the arcade colors, but this might be worth a try.

If you kill the first fireball, can the barrels roll down that area?

No, only the fireball can be on the second floor. Though it might be possible to respawn it.

The game is too easy, can you make Mario walk slower? I think the same speed as the first fireball.

Make him jumps shorter, also.

Mario can only move one pixel every two frames. Otherwise the flicker won't work and there will be ghosting effects (since the player's eyes focus on Mario I want to avoid that there).

The jump is five blocks (5*4 pixels) wide. In the arcade version it's three blocks (3*8 pixels). I experimented with shortening it, but found that it makes jumping over enemies too hard, so I decided to leave it as it is.

On the elevator level, you can remove these PF pixels to avoid a jump that skips the elevator, see the image.

That is a good idea. However you could still jump over the left shaft, but not over the right one. That might be a reasonable compromise.

You're right.

I've played 3 loops and the game gets more difficult. The speed seems ok now, but I still thinking the "ladder climbing speed" should be slower.

The spring on elevator level is too slow even after 3 loops. I think the speed do not change after the second loop?

The spring gets faster in each level. It's not linear, ramping up is strongest between L1 and L2.

I miss the telescoping ladders on pie factory level.

That would be cool. There's even room for more ladder graphics, but it would require a lot of code (in a different bank).

How about respawn the fire enemies some time after killing it with hammer?

Will have a look.

I haven't played the latest release. Can you get the barrels to roll onto the bottom two girders of the girders screen? Are there more barrels that appear on the girders screen on later levels?

Sorry, the barrels can't go down to the bottom. The code is optimized based on this. Also there can only be one barrel per floor.

Edited by Joe Musashi
  • Like 1