IGNORED

D.K. VCS

Joe Musashi

Next thing you know, someone will design a game that uses the ARM on a modified harmony board to completely bypass the 6507 by stuffing graphics and sound directly into the TIA, and play back full motion 160x192x60Hz video frames on the Atari 2600. Give 'em another ten years and prepare to have your mind blown all over again...

Bypassing the 6507 altogether would not make it a 2600 game anymore IMHO.

• Like 1

Bypassing the 6507 altogether would not make it a 2600 game anymore IMHO.

Pff. There goes 80% of the most awesome games in the SNES library if we went that route. :P

Also, I know this isn't arcade-authentic, but the NES "theme" through the attract mode is a favorite of mine. maybe an easter egg to squeeze that in?????

Edited by Csonicgo

That's an interesting point. Should the game go on forever, or should it end at some point, maybe when reaching level 10? I could make a special Game Over screen with Kong upside down.

Well, I guess it would be better than having the bonus counter roll over so you have only a few seconds to get to the top, which I seem to remember is what the arcade game's "kill screen" is like. But after only 10 levels?

I think it'd be cooler to make a Pac-Man style impossible level by using the program code as data somehow. But a proper ending would be good too.

Just to clarify, by "bypassing the 6507 altogether" I mean just that, i.e. not using the 6502 (or variant) at all. I think you misinterpreted what I said.

Then I agree with you. :P

Well, I guess it would be better than having the bonus counter roll over so you have only a few seconds to get to the top, which I seem to remember is what the arcade game's "kill screen" is like. But after only 10 levels?

I think it'd be cooler to make a Pac-Man style impossible level by using the program code as data somehow. But a proper ending would be good too.

How about an option to continue playing, or end the game? that way you can have a "normal play" high score, or you can keep going for a challenge high score. Or... Better yet, have a choice at the Title screen!

If the sound bank has some space left at the end. Yes, why not.

*squee*

Edited by Csonicgo

Pff. There goes 80% of the most awesome games in the SNES library if we went that route. :P

Also, I know this isn't arcade-authentic, but the NES "theme" through the attract mode is a favorite of mine. maybe an easter egg to squeeze that in?????

You can always borrow the version of the tune from the Atari 7800 version but be sure to include ear plugs with the cartridge

I'm certainly not in favor of a DK adaptation that comes to a dead stop like the U.S. arcade version.

Kill screen is kind of a moot point as 99.99% of players will never see it. Let's see, maybe 1 in 10,000 players has achieved a kill screen on Donkey Kong or Pacman. And the likely hood that a hombrew game will sell 10,000 copies is bunk! And even players who are good enough will probably get bored / tired eventually and either screw up or quit playing. I mean, who plays through 256 levels of anything? The only time anyone will ever see it is by tampering with the debugger in Stella.

The intention and true spirit of arcade games was that they continue forever. Pacman and Donkey Kong arcade games both failed due to buffer overflows. In Pacman's 256th stage, the overflow led to a corrupted screen that you cannot finish, and in Donkey Kong's 20-something-ith loop, the timer overflows resulting in a clock that's too short to complete the level.

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

Integer overflows. It's kind of an important difference.

Oops, my bad. Wrong word choice. It's just that you continuously hear the words "buffer" and "overflow" together whenever the media talks about hackers. Yeah, buffer overflows were what allowed hackers to initially run unauthorized code on the Wii, opening a backdoor to homebrew coders and pirates alike. It involved creating a string of characters that was too large and overflowed into program (executable) code.

8-bit integer overflows can create a kind of whacky effect, occasionally molesting values in adjacent bytes of RAM. I remember that the NES sound register would occasionally overflow into the controller register when playing back PCM sound effects, and for the longest time, homebrew games were plagued with input errors when played back on real hardware. Obviously, Nintendo solved it back in the day and created a sophisticated controller reading routine to fix it, however I still don't think there's an emulator out there that properly emulates this effect.

For games that are designed to be played forever without any end, adding kill screens to arcade games adaptations seems to be more for the fans of those annoying quirks.

I'd say it's more for purists who want to see as close to 100% arcade accuracy.

I count myself among them, since I'll never be able to afford all of these original Arcade Cabinets at home.

I'd say it's more for purists who want to see as close to 100% arcade accuracy.

I count myself among them, since I'll never be able to afford all of these original Arcade Cabinets at home.

The 100% arcade accuracy ship has sailed, and continues to sail. Its name is MAME. You can even play D2K in it.

In these situations, I ask myself "what would an Atari/Coleco/Nintendo developer in 1982 have done with more time and far greater available resources?" and I think the answer is that they would have fixed that bug and made the game never end. Certainly, they would have striven for pixel accuracy in graphics and gameplay long before the simulation of bugs in the original, knowing that they'd inevitably introduce their own bugs anyway.

I don't know if it's the right answer, but it's an authentic one.

• Like 4