IGNORED

Loading a TI Basic Program - Problem

ti99iuc

Hi !

maybe someone can help me to understand why...

i have a TI BASIC program on cassette tape about christmas music player.

i must load this program on a real TI99 and save it on the Floppy Disk.

now the problem is that i be able to load it without PEB connected... when the PEB is connected the loading stop after the first long whistle...

if i connect the PEB without the disk controller card the program load right... :?

any idea for helping me ? :)

Thank you ;)

Ciro.

Depends on if you're hitting the memory limit. If it loads and runs w/o the disk adapter...

The question then becomes does it use the high-order charsets (15 and 16) that are unavailable to XB

If you have XB + Memory + disk controller then you might be able to load and save it and just play it under XB.

In Gamebase TI99 there are a few ex-cassette only games that have transfered to disk and have to be loaded using this technique as without the disk controller attached cassette only games have a little extra memory available that the disk controller would otherwise use :-

Use Mini Memory module + expanded memory

Select TI BASIC

CALL INIT

CALL FILES(1)

OLD DSK1.[program] (Replace with OLD CS1)

SAVE EXPMEM2

CALL LOAD(-31888,63,255)

NEW

OLD EXPMEM2

RUN (Replace with SAVE DSK1.[program])

You could try using this but save it to disk instead of running the program.

Edited by OX.

Ok here is a trick I use for old TI Basic programs that used to much memory to use the disk controller.

1. Do not hook up the Disk Controller so memory is there

2. Do a CALL FILES(1) to give yourself the most memory.

3. OLD CS1

4. LIST "CS1"

5. Turn off computer and hook up Disk Controller.

5. Run this program:

100 OPEN #1:"CS1",INPUT,DISPLAY,VARIABLE 80

200 OPEN #2:"DSK1.LIST",OUTPU,DISPLAY, VARIABLE 80

300 LINPUT #1: X$

400 OUTPUT #2:X$

500 IF EOF(1)<>0 THEN 700

600 GOTO 300

700 CLOSE #1

800 CLOSE #2

900 END

This will copy the CS1 listing from cassette to Disk and then you can have the program to look at.

This is the trick I used to copy all of my programs I wrote on cassette to disk.

Ok here is a trick I use for old TI Basic programs that used to much memory to use the disk controller.

1. Do not hook up the Disk Controller so memory is there

2. Do a CALL FILES(1) to give yourself the most memory.

3. OLD CS1

4. LIST "CS1"

5. Turn off computer and hook up Disk Controller.

5. Run this program:

Hi !

just for understand...

CALL FILES (1) give me an error without Disk Controller active...

so i can't do anything... :(

and more when i turn off the computer all i have done before will be lost !? ...

can you explain better please ?

Thank you ;)

Use Mini Memory module + expanded memory

Select TI BASIC

CALL INIT

CALL FILES(1)

OLD DSK1.[program] (Replace with OLD CS1)

No Way OX,

at OLD CS1 and after the starting long whistle the loading stop with the classic error...

if i load the program without Disk Controller it start ! :(

something else ?

This program likely uses ALL of the memory available to it under console BASIC. If CALL FILES(1) won't work, you can always try to load the program without a disk controller, edit it to cut out the last 3K or so and save it to tape that way. Load that back from tape once you've reconnected the disk controller--it should load and now save it to disk. You're still missing the last 3K though. Now disconnect the disk controller again and load the original, unmodified program. Now cut out the part tou've saved to disk, leaving the missing 3K in memory. Save it to tape in MERGE format. Reconnect the Disk controller and load the part of the program on disk using Extended BASIC. Look for any TI BASIC incompatibilities. If there are none (or even if there are, at this point), Merge the 3K file into the program from tape. Save the whole program to disk (it will now be in INT/254 format instead of PROGRAM). That will recover it--now you just have to see if it will run or if it needs to be modified somehow for Extended BASIC.

Hi !

just for understand...

CALL FILES (1) give me an error without Disk Controller active...

so i can't do anything... :(

and more when i turn off the computer all i have done before will be lost !? ...

can you explain better please ?

Thank you ;)

Sorry I always had the Mini memory Module plugged into my TI back then.

But the rest of what I suggested works with out a Mini Memory system and will transfer fine.

Edited by RXB

CALL FILES depends on the controller being present. The method I described does not require you to do that. Since the tape loads, you should be able to edit the file while it is in memory and do as I explained above, unless the program is also protected from listing. . .

Oh he might have a protected program so would have to have a Mini Memory to do a CALL LOAD to fix that problem of editing or saving or listing the file.