IGNORED

Idiotic Atari Age quote about 2600 Pac Man

I seem to remember years ago reading an edition of Atari Age in which a reader asks why the ghosts flicker in Pac Man. The response said (after the technical explanation) something along the lines of "we expect ghosts to flicker because they're ghosts". I thought it was pretty shameful to try and excuse bad programming that way. Can anyone find the quote in one of their Atari Ages and post it here?

I seem to remember years ago reading an edition of Atari Age in which a reader asks why the ghosts flicker in Pac Man.  The response said (after the technical explanation) something along the lines of "we expect ghosts to flicker because they're ghosts".  I thought it was pretty shameful to try and excuse bad programming that way.  Can anyone find the quote in one of their Atari Ages and post it here?

LOL :D

The thing that's always bugged me is that they're NOT ghosts! The arcade game referred to them as Monsters. It wasn't until Pac-Mania that a Pac-Man arcade game used the term Ghosts. And as someone (might have been pacmanplus) once said, look at the second and third intermissions. Blink's got a fleshy body underneath! They're NOT ghosts!!!

Remember that Atari Age (the magazine) was just a public relations arm of Atari. They never printed a bad word about any Atari product.

Funny thing is when this site switched from the Nexus to Atari Age, I was worried for about a minute it was going to be much like the old magazine. There will be no criticism here! :dunce:

:?: What I always wondered was--to the Al's--did you have to get any permission to use the name Atari Age?

I seem to remember years ago reading an edition of Atari Age in which a reader asks why the ghosts flicker in Pac Man.  The response said (after the technical explanation) something along the lines of "we expect ghosts to flicker because they're ghosts".

That's what Tod Frye said about it in Stella @ 20 Volume 2 :D