IGNORED

Fixing E.T. The Extra Terrestrial

recompile

• 1 month later...

But then Mario World would fall down. It exists upon the bodies of an infinite number of dead Marios.

Did you fix the bad guys getting stuck on the bottom of the screen?

Have one warp back to its home if it attempts to enter a screen already occupied by another? But this could make the game very tedious.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I copied Recompile's fixes into E.T. PAL version.

Would someone be so kind to test it?

attachicon.gifET_Fixed_Final_PAL50.bin

BTW, I would like to change ET titlescreen color from green to brown. What should I change?

Changed ET titlescreen color from green to brown, thanks to Nukey Shay.

E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial (1982) (2013 fixed version by Recompile - 2017 copied for PAL by Philsan) (PAL).bin

• Like 1

Did you fix the bad guys getting stuck on the bottom of the screen?

That's not a bug, that's a feature! It happens because there can only be one human on the screen at a time, and if a human is out on the screen below headed your way, the human you sent home block each other.

You can use this to your advantage to get things done without getting hassled by them.

Is it normal that sometimes, when the scientist grabs ET, he walks in place and doesn't move until I move ET?

This happens in fixed NTSC and PAL versions.

If he gets stuck at the bottom of the screen, it's because the FBI agent or Elliot is active on the screen below. If that's not the case, then it's a bug.

• Like 1

If he gets stuck at the bottom of the screen, it's because the FBI agent or Elliot is active on the screen below. If that's not the case, then it's a bug.

Yeah, it's not at the bottom. The scientist will grab E.T. and just stand there until you move the joystick, then he'll start carrying E.T. down the screen.

I also noticed that the Phone Home Zone can't be found anywhere sometimes. In the original unhacked game, it can be hard to find sometimes, but it's not impossible.

Yeah, it's not at the bottom. The scientist will grab E.T. and just stand there until you move the joystick, then he'll start carrying E.T. down the screen.

I also noticed that the Phone Home Zone can't be found anywhere sometimes. In the original unhacked game, it can be hard to find sometimes, but it's not impossible.

I have not seen these issues then.

Just downloaded (first post) and tested NTSC fixed version again (Stella 5.0.0-pre9).

FBI agent and scientist grabbed me, they walk but don't move until I touch the joystick.

post-12528-0-80789900-1499463755.png

It's strange that nobody noticed the bug: 925 downloads!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

HSW depicted FBI agents chasing aliens long before the X-Files. I don't think they would care about aliens in real life. It's one thing a scientist the Air Force ,NASA , etc would want to study aliens ,but the FBI viewing as a threat to the country? Spielberg even had the government chasing everyone away from Devil's Tower in Close Encounters of the Third Kind so there wouldn't be any witnesses to the alien landing insane idea.

HSW depicted FBI agents chasing aliens long before the X-Files. I don't think they would care about aliens in real life. It's one thing a scientist the Air Force, NASA, etc. would want to study aliens, but the FBI viewing as a threat to the country? Spielberg even had the government chasing everyone away from Devil's Tower in Close Encounters of the Third Kind so there wouldn't be any witnesses to the alien landing insane idea.

Related links:

The FBI and UFOs

FBI UFO Document Is The Most Popular Of All Its 'Vault' Files

FBI Vault Reveals UFO, Roswell Files - ABC News

• Like 1

What are the four game variations on the patched rom? I know game 4 is game 3 on the original game.

1 - Scientist and FBI Agent

2 - FBI Agent

3 - Scientist

4 - No Humans (except Elliot)

It's described in "An Extra Game Mode" in the write-up.

I had a chance to play this with HSW at the dig. (The documentary crew put the fix on a cartridge for him.) We were going to play on the 'no humans' mode to look at some of the changes. He seemed surprised that there was an extra mode, as he put it "I thought it was two humans, one human, no humans". I replied "Yes, but the one human was the FBI Agent".

That FBI Agent is a nasty candy-stealing jerk.

• 1 year later...