IGNORED

Arcade/MAME HSC Season 5.2: Kangaroo

Deteacher

1181242123353.jpg

A mother kangaroo must climb through the treetops trying to rescue her son while punching out pink monkeys that throw apples at her. The kangaroo may eat fruit along the way to receive points.

post-9712-0-14932700-1358085286_thumb.png post-9712-0-04554200-1358085298_thumb.png post-9712-0-47573400-1358085307_thumb.png

Game Information:

Game name: Kangaroo

Released by: Atari/Sun Electronics, 1982

ROMset: kangaroo

Dipswitches: default (3 lives, bonus lives at 10K and 30K, easy difficulty.)

Chosen by: Fallout_002

ROM location: http://www.romnation...3/Kangaroo.html

Bonus Challenge: BE A "SCUM"BAG! Point-Scum your highest score for Level 1, Round 1 using only 1 life. Highest score will receive 3 bonus points! Here are the rules:

1. Point scumming is allowed. Beat the crap out of the gorilla! :)

2. You can only use 1 life. Whatever you score in your 1st life is what will be counted. Just for consistency sake, do not set dip switches to only 1 life. Seeing the extra lives in reserve will show that one life was used.

3. Screenshot must be provided in order to prove that you only used 1 life for your score.

4. You MUST save the kid kangaroo in order for your score to count. So, watch the timer, folks. :)

Current leader: patbb: 59,400!

Current High Scores: Updated to post #61.

1. 43,800 asponge [15]

2. 43,200 patbb * [14] [+3]

3. 41,700 kane [13]

4. 41,200 M.A.M.E. Offender [12]

5. 34,800 bigbee99 [11]

6. 34,500 Deteacher [10]

7. 33,300 Fallout_002 [9]

8. 28,700 Cynicaster [8]

9. 28,400 NKON [7]

10. 28,200 hepcat [6]

11. 24,800 Darthkur [5]

12. 18,600 Classicgamer_27330 [4]

13. 15,300 jblenkle [3]

14. 14,300 Liduario [2]

15. 8,500 mr. toast [1]

16. 7,800 roadrunner [1]

17. 5,300 homerwannabee [1]

* = current bonus challenge leader

Points Leaderboard:

1. hepcat [15]

2. patbb [15]

3. Vocelli [14]

4. Deteacher [14]

5. M.A.M.E. Offender [13]

6. Classicgamer_277330 [13]

7. NIKON [10]

8. Beaver On The Wood [9]

9. kane [9]

10 Fallout_002 [8]

11. Darthkur [5]

12. bigbee99 [5]

13. Mangia-Boy [4]

14. Wispfollower [3]

15. Liduario [1]

16. mr. toast [1]

17. roadrunner [1]

18. MisterVCS [1]

19. asponge [1]

20. Jblenkle [1]

21. Homerwannabe [1]

Edited by Deteacher

Kangaroo, a point scrubber's paradise.

Are we going to keep control of this?

How about we set a cap. You can't score any more than 40000 per wave. That will force people to play through the entire game, and not just meddle through the first couple of boards while racking up cheap points on the gorilla...

Whaddayasay?

Kangaroo, a point scrubber's paradise.

Are we going to keep control of this?

How about we set a cap. You can't score any more than 40000 per wave. That will force people to play through the entire game, and not just meddle through the first couple of boards while racking up cheap points on the gorilla...

Whaddayasay?

I agree, it's too easy to stay on the same level for ever.

You just have to stay on the second floor like in the attached image and punch the gorilla,

As you can see I'm,m at 56000 on the first level.

post-25394-0-43315600-1358098689_thumb.png

Edited by patbb

I agree, it's too easy to stay on the same level for ever.

You just have to stay on the second floor like in the attached image and punch the gorilla,

As you can see I'm,m at 56000 on the first level.

Exactly. So let's try and be fair about punching the gorilla around. Personally I think everyone should know the strategy behind banging the gorilla around, milk it for a bit, then move on to higher levels. It keeps everyone at the same level.

My vote is you can get a MAX 40,000 per level, including all sub levels from 1 to 4.

In other words: 10,000 per sub level.

I'll throw something up. I forget how to time the gorilla. I'm guessing that is where you are getting all of the points on the 1st round. You do die when the time runs out right?

B

Remember 2 things about the gorilla:

1. You want to kind of sneak up on him while he is stepping away from your character. Sneak and jab.

2. Try and keep the gorilla coming one side. I always use the right side. You must make an imaginary line and stay just behind it, then when you punch the gorilla and he goes flying he doesn't fly over to the other side of the screen. Makes things more consistent.

You can perform this trick on boards 1 and 2 the easiest.

The rules thread clearly states that point scumming is not allowed. My hope is that people simply honor that rule, since there are no prizes being offered.

What if I were to award a couple bonus points for the highest score on the first board. That way, everyone can get all the point scumming out of their system for the purpose of scoring a couple bonus points.

Thoughts? If the masses agree, I'll add it to the main post.

I have 1 point and Wispfollower is the next with 3.

I think I should have 2 or Wispfollower 5 (2 + 3bonus).

I'll check it again, but I don't see where Wispfollower completed the bonus. Also, I have you at 15th place, which is 1 point.

I'll do a thorough check after I eat some dinner. :)

Not posting a score yet because wow, I'm terrible at this game! It has the same problem as the 2600 version, namely, that it is very difficult to get the Kangaroo to jump as far as you need him to when climbing up the ledges. More controller experimentation will be necessary here.

I'll throw something up. I forget how to time the gorilla. I'm guessing that is where you are getting all of the points on the 1st round. You do die when the time runs out right?

B

Yes you die after the time runs out.

This is why there is not a "special rule" (TwinGalaxies) on this technique.

It's like point pressing at Donkey Kong.

Edited by patbb

Bonus Challenge: BE A "SCUM"BAG! Point-Scum your highest score for Level 1, Round 1 using only 1 life. Highest score will receive 3 bonus points! Here are the rules:

1. Point scumming is allowed. Beat the crap out of the gorilla! :)

2. You can only use 1 life. Whatever you score in your 1st life is what will be counted. Just for consistency sake, do not set dip switches to only 1 life. Seeing the extra lives in reserve will show that one life was used.

3. Screenshot must be provided in order to prove that you only used 1 life for your score.

4. You MUST save the kid kangaroo in order for your score to count. So, watch the timer, folks. :)

When the baby kangaroo is saved, the bonus score appears above the number of lives left.

As shown in your second screenshot.

So we cannot know, for sure, how many lives were used.

Unless we do one screenshot when finishing the 1st level and one when starting the 2nd.

Edited by patbb
  • Like 1