IGNORED

Doom 2 homebrew?

doomwaves

Thanks to sh3-rg's post, I was able to do the patch-thing and play some Doom 2 levels for the first time on the Jaguar.

I like it!!

It's great that neo-rg made this, and shared it with us.

A big thanks! :thumbsup:

This just awesome, Yes thanks neo-rg I hope someone can add more levels to this hack! I've just played all 12 levels I need more! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

This just awesome, Yes thanks neo-rg I hope someone can add more levels to this hack! I've just played all 12 levels I need more! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

If you find a ROM online it's possible there are some different levels in there, if you have time take a look and report back :-)

Thanks for all the feedback about the work I did years ago.. we should really pick it up again and finish it.

In the meantime here is a list of the levels in the 2 rom versions. I did do other levels and they are in various

rom on my hard drive.

v98

Intro level

Entryway

Underhalls

The Gantlet

The Focus

The Waste Tunnels

The Crusher

Dead Simple

Tricks & Traps

Tenements

The Catacombs

The Abandoned Mines

Monster Condo

AC2011 version

Intro Level

Entryway

Underhalls

The Gantlet

The Focus

The Waste Tunnels

The Crusher

Dead Simple

Tricks & Traps

The Inmost Dens

The Courtyard

The Living End

Edited by neo_rg
  • Like 9

Thanks for all the feedback about the work I did years ago.. we should really pick it up again and finish it.

In the meantime here is a list of the levels in the 2 rom versions. I did do other levels and they are in various

rom on my hard drive.

v98

Intro level

Entryway

Underhalls

The Gantlet

The Focus

The Waste Tunnels

The Crusher

Dead Simple

Tricks & Traps

Tenements

The Catacombs

The Abandoned Mines

Monster Condo

AC2011 version

Intro Level

Entryway

Underhalls

The Gantlet

The Focus

The Waste Tunnels

The Crusher

Dead Simple

Tricks & Traps

The Inmost Dens

The Courtyard

The Living End

Amazing! Doom II is such an amazing game, and of course it is amazing on the Jag!

Thank you indeed for your hard work on this!

• Like 1

Anything released using the doom source/engine would have to be free..

I'm sure its in the gpl license somewhere.

I think it's more like when you release stuff you also have to distribute the original code and all changes you made along with it... something like that? But that's only of concern to anyone who wants to do that. Personally I like the idea of a suite of ROM-hacking tools rather than code distribution, it's accessible to more people to have fun with rather than just one or two coder geeks who never get around to actually doing anything with it :P

It's not a homebrew, it's a hack of the Doom ROM with edited Doom 2 levels from the PC. I think there were around 15 levels in the latest one Neo made. If you google "doom 2 atari jaguar ROM" you should find a couple of places that have a version, although I don't know if they would be the very last ones he made.

There are plenty of videos of it in action on YouTube.

Well, you were right about 15 levels, they just happen to be spread over two versions. ;)

I've got both versions on my skunkboard, and I just play through v98, then I reset and play AC2011, but just jump to the last three.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

I think you pause then hold a number pad number as you unpause - something like that, it's a known cheat should be in the jaguar cheats file/book.

EDIT:

From the cheats doc, I didn't remember you could skip beyond 9 :-)

DOOM (DOM)

----

All codes entered during gameplay. Cheats are disabled in Co-Op and

Deathmatch modes.

Level Select:

1-9 1...9+Pause

10 A+Pause

11-19 A+1...9+Pause

20 B+Pause

21-24 B+1...4+Pause

God Mode:

Pause, then * + Pause

Very Happy Ammo Mode (full keys, weapons, armor and ammo):

Pause, then # + Pause

Fire Weapons in Automap:

Hold C+B (or whichever buttons are configured as Use & Fire).

Music During Gameplay:

Start a Deathmatch or Co-Op game on Area 23. Exit the level, press any

button to start the congratulation text, then have either (but only one!)

player reset and start a new Deathmatch or Co-Op game. Now one player's Jag

will be playing music instead of sound effects.

• Like 1

The way I play JagDoom is to put it on Nightmare mode and use the Happy ammo cheat once, when I first start (since with Jagdoom there is no saving beyond opening up levels and JagDoom 2 no saving at all) and anything goes from there, I try and survive as long as possible replenishing along the way as you do without cheats. I play sometimes to go through all levels chronologically, Sometimes I just pick a level with the level choose cheat.

Edited by Gunstar

I think it's more like when you release stuff you also have to distribute the original code and all changes you made along with it... something like that? But that's only of concern to anyone who wants to do that.

I've been releasing code under GPL for over a decade. You are correct that you can sell code/builds based on GPL code as long as your code is available to anyone that wants it. What you cannot sell is anything that contains the Doom or Jagdoom wad. While the Doom 2 levels on the Jag are not the actual levels from Doom 2 they are modifications of the Jagdoom wad containing Doom assets. Doom source code is GPL. Doom art, sound, and other wad assets are not.

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

What you cannot sell is anything that contains the Doom or Jagdoom wad. While the Doom 2 levels on the Jag are not the actual levels from Doom 2 they are modifications of the Jagdoom wad containing Doom assets. Doom source code is GPL. Doom art, sound, and other wad assets are not.

http://www.gnu.org/p...hy/selling.html

Yeah obviously, as I said - "that's only of concern to anyone who wants to do that." Nobody has any intention of trying to sell Neo's stuff, that was done as an exercise in learning how things worked and grew from there and is released as an IPS for Jaguar fans to play for free. I don't think anyone really has a problem with that even though it is a 'grey area'. If they do... meh. ROM hacking has been a favourite passtime for many on AA over the years. I'm sure the Jaguar fans appreciate it being available to them (the real fans that is, not the guardians of the community whose only input seems limited to whining about the evils of piracy ad nauseam and nothing positive, productive or worthwhile).

• Like 3

Yeah obviously, as I said - "that's only of concern to anyone who wants to do that." Nobody has any intention of trying to sell Neo's stuff, that was done as an exercise in learning how things worked and grew from there and is released as an IPS for Jaguar fans to play for free. I don't think anyone really has a problem with that even though it is a 'grey area'. If they do... meh. ROM hacking has been a favourite passtime for many on AA over the years. I'm sure the Jaguar fans appreciate it being available to them (the real fans that is, not the guardians of the community whose only input seems limited to whining about the evils of piracy ad nauseam and nothing positive, productive or worthwhile).

I'm not passing judgement or making a statement on this ROM floating around. I'm simply clarifying an issue being discussed here. Climb down from the mountain.

I'm not passing judgement or making a statement on this ROM floating around. I'm simply clarifying an issue being discussed here. Climb down from the mountain.

Thanks for the clarification. And no, the views from up here are exceptional, I'll stay a while longer if you don't mind.

@Neo: I wonder if we could submit own levels if you want to do an update or even DOOM X with completely new levels?

Matt did a guide on how to do this yourself, it's a fairly simple process now he's put the time in and worked it all out and documented it. PTBH, he's having far to much fun to be bothered with this Jaguar nonsense right now I think :lol:

Thanks for the clarification. And no, the views from up here are exceptional, I'll stay a while longer if you don't mind.

Matt did a guide on how to do this yourself, it's a fairly simple process now he's put the time in and worked it all out and documented it. PTBH, he's having far to much fun to be bothered with this Jaguar nonsense right now I think :lol:

Where can one get a copy of this guide?

I have the doom 2 source but have never tried to play it on the jag i did however try to put it threw the jiffi program but it wouldnt run via cd so is this only play abled threw skunk and VJ ?

I'm assuming you mean the rom image and not the actual source code file was tried through Jiffi.

Any jag flash like the skunk, or VJ, PT, etc. emulators, or, build your own cartridge with board, chips and burner.

Jiffi 1.4 will load to skunkboards, but without a flash cartridge of some type, jiffi only works for programs meant to be entirely loaded into 2MB memory, like BJL's or if they were made for JagCD.

Edited by Gunstar

So here is a quick question for you guys. If I used a PC Doom level editor to make a virtual walk through of my game room... could someone convert it and put it on a physical cart for me (for giggles)? Not like I have the time any time soon (maybe this decade)... but it would be huge to have such a one of a kind personal item :grin:

If you follow neo's guide and make/test your own levels (the time-consuming bit) there are a number of ways to get it on a cart, but I think you already know that and want someone to fix up your levels and make them work/test them for you - I don't know if anyone has the spare time for that this decade either :-)

If you've ever created a Doom level its not too hard to port it. There is an 'asset' file with just the Jag assets so you can easily create a level for the Jag that requires no 'fixin' before being added to the cart image.

The hard part is just performing the cart changes to add you WAD into it.

Adding more than 1 level takes alot of time and patience - what Neo did for the 12 levels loaded of Doom II was awesome and alot of time and effort!

• Like 2