IGNORED

Impossible Mission (New Player Sprites & Colors)

KevinMos3

This looks awesome. One of my favorite games. Would it possible to make a cart for those of us that don't have emulation or a Cuttle Cart?

Thanks! I'm not sure if CPUWiz makes a board with the extra RAM this game requires, but you're welcome to contact Al to find out and order one from the AtariAge store if possible. I've done a couple of cartridge conversions, using the original cart and re-wiring it to take an eprom, but it's a good bit of work so I don't really like doing it. I actually did that to my own cart, but then gave it away last year and haven't taken the time to make myself another one yet.

Long overdue... the ROM combo pack has been updated in the first post. Changes from the last version include a tweaked player sprite, more shading on the rocks, more edits to the PDA, and an updated C64 imitation added to the pack just for fun (thanks Marco, for that inspiration).

Thank you very much, Kevin !! Amazing update, I love it !! :lust: :)

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Actually, I think I'll take this opportunity to challenge you... because I'd like to see more people hacking 7800 games. It's not as easy as the 2600 because we don't have the simple tools like bithacker and hackomatic (although you can still use them to some extent), but with a little patience, a hex editor can do wonders.

You said before that you have Hex Workshop. So, you can take my blue small chest rom and open it with Hex Workshop along with the bookmark file. From there, you can change all the colors to what you see in the C64 version. That will be a very simple task to get your feet wet. In fact, I went ahead and cleaned up the bookmark a little bit. The elevator colors are all together now and I marked the hallway/shaft outline colors as well, but I just made a mass bookmark of them. They follow the same sequential order as the elevator colors. There are other colors in this area of the rom too. I didn't mark the hallway backgrounds, but you can find them easily and they'll be together as well.

attachicon.gifImpossible Mission HW bk (a78).zip

If you want to take it further, you can do a "compare" of the rom variations to see where I changed the graphics. For example, you can search for where I changed that one pixel above the shoulders (there are several sprites that were changed for that), and then you can do the same change to the rom you're working on. Looking at the patterns will show you what does what with the sprites and before you know it, you'll be hacking away at other games as well. icon_smile.gif However, as for the chest, be aware that the emulators don't display the same pixel ratio as a real 7800. They look wider than the real thing. When you view the game on a real 7800, the character is more narrow so the chest does not appear as wide.

Happy hacking!

WOW...Time really does fly...lol. Anyway better late than never, so I gladly accept your friendly challenge. :)

I made some updates to the C64 version, you know that I love it. The details in the images below.

Again, Thank you very much, Kevin.

Marco

Impossible Mission (New Graphics - C64 2019).a78

Impossible Mission (New Graphics - C64 2019).bin

post-29074-0-91428200-1560477438.png

post-29074-0-25768200-1560477467.png

post-29074-0-79923500-1559174015_thumb.png

post-29074-0-12763000-1559235391.png

post-29074-0-71975600-1560558403.png

Edited by Defender_2600
  • Like 5