IGNORED

Ms. Pac-Man "Baby" Levels

Jaynz

Very modest level hack using the Pac-Man editor. I swapped out the levels of the game with the levels from Baby Pac-Man (minus the pinball, of course). Much tougher collection of three mazes here. There's a slight tweak on the second map, due to where Ms. Pac-Man starts out, alas. But still came pretty close this time out. Not sure if I'm going to do much more with this one... just something to play around with.

baby pac-man.a78

Baby Pac-Man.bin

post-30004-0-04216000-1358799765_thumb.png

post-30004-0-19275700-1358799770_thumb.png

post-30004-0-32072300-1358799775_thumb.png

• Like 2

Nice! :)

You should edit the fruit shapes to be the same as the game also ;)

I may do that tommorow (or much later tonight). I just wanted to do something 'light' since my time to relearn ASM has been non-existant. I'm not sure where to look to change the fruit names for the options screen, either - which would come up once the fruits themselves changed around.

Note to self: Cherry, Strawberry, Peach, Apple, Pear, Orange, Watermelon, Banana...

Edit: Did the shapes, but I'm short one slot.. right now I'm doing without the Watermelon, but thinking I should mix it up by losing either the peach or apple instead. Thoughts? I'm also getting a weird glitch in the text editor where it won't recognize 'end of line' correctly for the fruit names. Copy-pasting isn't working. Fleh.

Edited by Jaynz
  • Like 1

Cool. I've never even seen Baby Pac-Man until I looked it up due to this. It looks like you did a really good job on the layout. I was kinda surprised that the arcade character didn't look any different from the grown Pac-Man. Maybe you could take advantage of Ms Pac-Man's bow to change it into a baby bonnet, like in the arcade artwork so that it has something extra even the arcade doesn't have. :)

Edited by KevinMos3

Version .002

* Changed Title Screen to "Baby Pac Man"

* Replaced ghost graphics with Tim graphics from Jr. Pac Man

* Replaced Ms. Pac-Man graphcis with "Bonnet" Baby Pac-Man (not happy with this one)

* Replaced blinking ghosts with Pac Man Plus graphics

* Replaced ghost names with "Dinky, Spunky, Funky, and Tim"

Getting close to the end of what I can do in the editor, might be time to look at hex-editing soon for some other changes. Cosmetics are pretty much done, though - unless someone can figure out a better way to do the bonnet at this scale. :S Also, if there's an easy way to add a fruit to the game, I would love to hear it. I don't like the missing Watermelon... :S

Baby Pac-Man.bin

Baby Pac-Man.A78

post-30004-0-87872800-1358890189_thumb.png

post-30004-0-26618500-1358890195_thumb.png

post-30004-0-23439800-1358890200_thumb.png

• Like 1

Looks good! I can't wait to try this!

I'm so happy to see all of the work being done for the 7800... really looks good for the future.

It's funny I'm going to have all these XM ready games and don't have the XM yet, but I'm going to have the Colecovision super expansion module and I have not ordered anything to play on that.

• 3 weeks later...

Ah, thanks very much. Hopefully next week I can crack into the Ms. Pac-Man source code itself and make this into its own program rather than a hack. That'll allow for some expansion and cleanup and perhaps make way for something to be done about the included pinball game eventually.

• Like 3

Ah, thanks very much. Hopefully next week I can crack into the Ms. Pac-Man source code itself and make this into its own program rather than a hack. That'll allow for some expansion and cleanup and perhaps make way for something to be done about the included pinball game eventually.

Excellent! :)

The idea of an actual Baby pac pinball play-field has been discussed for a few years behind the scenes (but with this life never became anything other than talk). The idea was that the cartridge be for the video screen and to keep score, by using the inputs from the keypad controller, a small personal size pinball machine that would function independently with it's own logic, sounds, etc and would connect to the 7800. It would take a considerable amount of time and money to make happen, but would be a great realization if it ever came to be. Fun to think about anyway. Thanks for the levels, that's a great addition to the 7800!

• Like 1

I don't think a new piece of hardware is in order on this one - 'tis a bit overkill, and the Baby Pac field isn't all that good for such an endeavour. What I wanted to do was to figure out just how big it would need to be to have an alternate 'pinball screen' in memory ... effectively a 'second game' that switches where appropriate. There are a couple of tricks involved here - with the main restraint being my extremely rusty ASM skills.

I don't think a new piece of hardware is in order on this one - 'tis a bit overkill, and the Baby Pac field isn't all that good for such an endeavour. What I wanted to do was to figure out just how big it would need to be to have an alternate 'pinball screen' in memory ... effectively a 'second game' that switches where appropriate. There are a couple of tricks involved here - with the main restraint being my extremely rusty ASM skills.

Yes, overkill, but fun to THINK about. Your route would be at least doable this century. ;)

• 1 month later...

Hey, nice work on this Jaynz. It made my day when I saw this a few weeks ago. If I were a kid, this is all I'd play.

I'm still not up to speed on how to add watermelons, but I made two mods for people who like alternate versions.

Guess we don't have PAL on this one, eh?

NTSC BABY PACMAN2 INVINCIBLE BINARY

BABYPACMAN2_INVINCIBLE_43F2.bin

NTSC BABY PACMAN2 INVINCIBLE EMULATOR

BabyPacman2_Invincible_32K.a78

NTSC BABY PACMAN2 FAST INVINCIBLE BINARY

BABYPACMAN2_FAST_INVINCIBLE_4F81.bin

NTSC BABY PACMAN2 FAST INVINCIBLE EMULATOR

BabyPacman2_Fast_Invincible_32K.a78

Enjoy all!

///BLUEman///

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For a hack, this doesn't look too bad. I'm happy that you closed off the pinball entrance tunnels (I'm very against dead ends in Pac-Man mazes), though there are some things I'd recommend, incase you're aiming for this hack to be as authentic as possible:

*You can use the editor's "Expert Mode" to delete the walls of the maze placed on the very bottom row, thus making the pinball warp tunnels look like they lead somewhere, but still blocked off from any access., and also make the bottom of the maze entirely empty on the second and third boards.

*In the original game, Baby Pac-Man's sprite is identical to regular Pac-Man's, but a hair bit smaller. The Bonnet Pac-Man graphics are okay, but I'd recommend removing the eye.

*The ghosts should use the graphics seen in the default Ms. Pac-Man ROM, but with the smaller eyes shown in Pac-Man 7800 and the blue pupils of their eyes removed, making them black. (For the record, the ghost graphics used now are not Tim's, but belong to Yum-Yum, Junior's love interest.)

*All of the colors should be pale to match the palette the original game used, which consists of only seven colors.

*Each maze is colored green w/ red outline, blue w/ green outline, and red w/ blue outline.

*The Ghosts should be colored red, magenta, cyan, and green, instead of dark red, purple, green and yellow.

*If you want to replicate the original fruits, you put them in the order "Cherry->Strawberry->Peach->Apple->Pear->Orange->Banana", skipping over the Watermelon since no fruit in Ms. Pac-Man ever gave 3,000 points.

*If you need a fourth maze, some ROM hacks of the original arcade version of Ms. Pac-Man added a new maze that comes after the third:

0011_zps65bfc258.png

You'd have to tweak the bottom of the maze to remove the sharp turn, but it should still work.

JAYNZ, how's about a SUPER JR. BABY PACMAN version?

JrPacmanDisassy2.rtf

The question I have is can we take the original title screen with "JR. PAC-MAN" and overlay the FINAL title screen

with "JR. MS. PAC" and delete two obvious pixels that make the R look like a P?

Here's the files, original and final binary files. The code we're looking for appears to be called LOGO.

If we can find the LOGO data then we should be able to patch that old data into the new file.

NTSC JR PACMAN ORIGINAL, BINARY

JrPac_Original_04112009.bin

NTSC JR PACMAN FINAL, BINARY

JrPac_FINAL_09242012.bin

THX all!!! ///BLUEMAN///

• 3 weeks later...

Now a question for JAYNZ. The work you did on BABY PAC is phenomenal. :twisted: I'm working on disassembling it to potentially use it for a new platform for new versions. The question is, do we want to post it here? No response or NO, is a NO answer of course. Thanks for your consideration. ///BLUEMAN///