IGNORED

Ms. Pac-Man "Baby" Levels

Jaynz

Now a question for JAYNZ. The work you did on BABY PAC is phenomenal. :twisted: I'm working on disassembling it to potentially use it for a new platform for new versions. The question is, do we want to post it here? No response or NO, is a NO answer of course. Thanks for your consideration. ///BLUEMAN///

Well, it's just a hack of the Ms PacMan code , so I don't really have an objection. (Sorry to take so long to get back to this thread, real life and paying gigs got in the way.)

For a hack, this doesn't look too bad. I'm happy that you closed off the pinball entrance tunnels (I'm very against dead ends in Pac-Man mazes), though there are some things I'd recommend, incase you're aiming for this hack to be as authentic as possible:

I originally stuck with the mazes, but felt that some graphical tweaks could be done to help distinct this game from the others a little bit - even without the pinball section. It was primarily an experiment to learn how the editor worked and what could be done within it. :)

To J&J: No problem guys...this wasn't a trick question - I know there's only about a dozen or so still here actively working on 7800 Projex. I just don't want to ruffle any feathers by posting disassemblies without prior permission. Some people take their sources personal. Just making sure all is OK first. Quite frankly I don't know what the current protocol on here should be. Maybe it's a free-4-all and you can do anything you want. With GCC disbanding over a decade ago and Atari going Chap 11 earlier this year, what diff does anything make any more? Curt has spoken to GCC's Doug MacRae and Steve Golson and besides being flabberghasted that people are still banging on the 7800, they think what we're doing is great.

That said, I have both disassemblies now. The gain I got was I found some errors on my Ms. Pac disassembly, so those are mopped up and now we have the Baby Pacs (below). The work that J-NZ did was amazing and I just didn't want anyone to pass his work over. I see all the changes and this wasn't done in a weekend or in a week either. It was almost like starting over. WHAT KID WOULDN'T WANT TO PLAY THIS GAME? And appreciate the job Justin did to make the game exactly like the real thing. Got all the bases covered here...

Now we're hopeful to get 320 graphics updates for these!!! Can we do it? Of course the sprites are higher res, so more bytes to play with.

There is a question that popped up. At address $C8D5 there were two bytes added but I don’t know how this would work (or why it wouldn’t work – but the game runs). Justin corrected this by changing to LDA $00 ($A9$00) at $C8D5. In Ms. Pac, $57 was simply stored in both $86 and $87.

* THIS ROUTINE SETS UP THE COLORS FOR BABY PAC-MAN

PACSTAMP:

C8CD--A9-1E-----LDA #YELLOW-----------;SET BABY PAC COLORS

C8CF--85-85-----STA P1C1

C8D1--A9-5C-----LDA #PINK-------------;WAS $A9$57 IN MS. MAC

C8D3--85-86-----STA P1C2

C8D5------------.BYTE $5F,$00---------;ADDED IN BABY PACMAN

C8D7--85-87-----STA P1C3

C8D9--60--------RTS

JAYNZ BABY PAC2 NTSC disassembly

BabyPac2_JAYNZ_Disassy_38F1.rtf

BLUEMAN RATING: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

JUSTIN BABY PAC3 NTSC disassembly

BabyPac3_Justin_Disassy_1735.rtf

BLUEMAN RATING: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: (mostly b/c it's a hack of a hack, but still a great game)

Again, many thanks for all the exceptional work you both did.

////BLUEMAN///

• 3 weeks later...