IGNORED

Let's Pool Our Resources and Buy Atari - How Much Will You Contribute?

Dr Manhattan

Let's Buy Atari  

100 members have voted

1. 1. How Much Will You Contribute to the Let's Buy Atari Fund?

• $1 to $5
    • $5-$25
    • $25-50
    • $50-$100
    • $100-$500
    • $1000 or more

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I would participate in a Kickstarter project to buy Atari's name and IP (Asteroids, Pong, Centipede, Gauntlet, etc) if there was equity with voting rights.

I would not participate if there's a backdoor of starting a new company that is not branded Atari and does not own their IP. I would want my funds returned in that scenario.

• Like 7

OKay,

Just received a call from a very big player with several investment bank backers... the crowd funding idea is great, but things are going to happen very rapidly, possibly within a week, so our effort to try and do a 30 or even 15 day project will be too late, so at this point we need to hang tight and as I get information I'll keep everyone posted, or give to Marty to share with everyone.

I'm sorry, but you can't currently sell equities in a company via Kickstarter nor can you grant future profit participation. So, while you could fund an entity to acquire the Atari IP through Kickstarter, the backers could not receive shares in that entity nor the IP itself. As such, while the intentions of everyone are good, this definitely is not the right way to go about this unless you expect people to donate millions of dollars for this effort in some good faith belief that the new owner is going to do right by the "community".

Edited by bojay1997
  • Like 2

So if this sounds like something all of your crazies want, then I guess I'm even more crazy to try and pull this together and get a kickstarter project going and launched by Monday and then Marty will be point man to field things while I go into surgery and take about 1-2 weeks to recover...

I'm very interested in helping to fund this project. I'd really need to see what a Kickstarter would offer to contributors and a business plan.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I'd like to see an "Atari Program Exchange" of sorts for home-brewed software and hardware project for all platforms (dedicated, arcade, pinball, consoles, computers) to make the projects official and help with the manufacturing costs (economies of scale).

Bill

• Like 3

OKay,

Just received a call from a very big player with several investment bank backers... the crowd funding idea is great, but things are going to happen very rapidly, possibly within a week, so our effort to try and do a 30 or even 15 day project will be too late, so at this point we need to hang tight and as I get information I'll keep everyone posted, or give to Marty to share with everyone.

Well that's kind of a bummer. I rather liked the idea of the community pitching in to buy it.

• Like 1

If it just comes back to the other suggestion of pumping in some money to back Syzygy and its retro projects, I'm in for that. Maybe some day instead of the old "Atari - Syzygy Engineered" it'll say "Syzygy - Atari Engineered"...or something like that. ;)

Curt - get better! Marty - are you keeping a list of fanbois waving money? ;)

I'm sorry, but you can't currently sell equities in a company via Kickstarter nor can you grant future profit participation. So, while you could fund an entity to acquire the Atari IP through Kickstarter, the backers could not receive shares in that entity nor the IP itself. As such, while the intentions of everyone are good, this definitely is not the right way to go about this unless you expect people to donate millions of dollars for this effort in some good faith belief that the new owner is going to do right by the "community".

i was kind of thinking the same thing but wasn't quite sure how that could work. However a kickstarter could be successful if the contributors were offered tangible products in exchange for their investments. For instance, if the brand is used to release officially-licensed products that otherwise could not be, the contributors could get the first of those products.