IGNORED

Let's Pool Our Resources and Buy Atari - How Much Will You Contribute?

Dr Manhattan

Let's Buy Atari  

100 members have voted

1. 1. How Much Will You Contribute to the Let's Buy Atari Fund?

• $1 to $5
    • $5-$25
    • $25-50
    • $50-$100
    • $100-$500
    • $1000 or more

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I think marty and curt already mentioned they are looking into somebody to purchase it. and the idea wouldn't work for everybody

http://www.atariage....50#entry2681964

They've since reported that Atari has already been taken over by someone else:

Well, the worst possible thing that could have happened to the brand has happened:

http://www.4-traders...Funds-16009769/

Curt summed it up nicely on Facebook -

So Atari SA has been taken over by the lowest piece of garbage in the industry - Frederic Chesnais... this is the same two-bit cheapskate swindler who reneg'd on paying the engineering and design costs for the Gene Simmons Axe guitar controller several years back. So now the slime ball has pulled some dirty insider moves with his old pals in France and now Atari stays with the incompetent and arrogant people that dragged it into the gutter in the first place. Atari is dead beyond dead!!!

I can't see this becoming a success, since it sounds like the exact same people responsible for putting Atari where it is, so maybe we'll be able to pick it up even cheaper when the Atari brand inevitably goes back on the auction block.

They've since reported that Atari has already been taken over by someone else:

I can't see this becoming a success, since it sounds like the exact same people responsible for putting Atari where it is, so maybe we'll be able to pick it up even cheaper when the Atari brand inevitably goes back on the auction block.

Since that time it's become more apparent it's just a temporary bandaid to keep things functioning during bankruptcy. It looks like everything is still going to go up for sale, and the major pieces (now including Chesnais) are just positioning themselves to make money on the exit.

I know I'm gonna get some flak for saying this, but I think we can all agree that we are now "kicking a dead horse." Atari may have died decades ago, but it's soul lives on through it's legacy of retro hardware. Accept the fact that the Atari of old no longer exists and get back to playing all those cute little games with their rectangular pixels and blips and beeps.

• Like 1

I know I'm gonna get some flak for saying this, but I think we can all agree that we are now "kicking a dead horse." Atari may have died decades ago, but it's soul lives on through it's legacy of retro hardware. Accept the fact that the Atari of old no longer exists and get back to playing all those cute little games with their rectangular pixels and blips and beeps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmrJx32xefM

If the Atariage community and the larger pool of retro-gaming enthusiasts actually did put together a Kickstarter campaign to buy Atari, I believe it would be unprecedented. Would the people who donated funds have a vote in the new company based upon their contribution levels? Would the starter of the campaign become CEO? Also, a plan like this could backfire. If the kickstarter goal is met, but there still isn't enough money to fund a corporate buy-out (in other words, the kickstarter fundraiser is not the highest bidder), what happens to the investors' contributions? Also be aware that most transactions of the nature are in the millions of dollars. Maybe we can all hope and pray some poor fanboy wins the lottery?

Edited by stardust4ever

• 3 weeks later...

Back to reality, people. Atari is too big to tackle. Why not bring all this momentum BACK to AtariAge? Create AtariAge branded systems and games. Promote the bugeezus out of what we have. Y'all know it's Albert and one or two other people, right? Find ways to make AtariAge grow organically.

He's right, but if there were such branded systems and games, we'd have to use a different name. How about one of the original names for the company before it was decided to be called Atari? We can call it "Hanne".

He's right, but if there were such branded systems and games, we'd have to use a different name. How about one of the original names for the company before it was decided to be called Atari? We can call it "Hanne".

How about the "Syzygy A28"? (A28 is 2600 in hexadecimal. Likewise, 5200 is 1450h and 7800 is 1E78h. Geeky, I know...). FYI, it's probably a good thing they changed they're name from Syzygy to Atari. With a name like "Syzygy," it would have killed the company before they even got started.

How about the "Syzygy A28"? (A28 is 2600 in hexadecimal. Likewise, 5200 is 1450h and 7800 is 1E78h. Geeky, I know...). FYI, it's probably a good thing they changed they're name from Syzygy to Atari. With a name like "Syzygy," it would have killed the company before they even got started.

We have that name copyrighted for video game use. Hence our use in it for Syzygy Company, Syzygy Press, and several different products we're working on.

We have that name copyrighted for video game use. Hence our use in it for Syzygy Company, Syzygy Press, and several different products we're working on.

Atari attempted to claim it first. Quick question: if Atari originally filed an application for "Syzygy" and failed (because it was presumably already taken), then how were you able to obtain it? Did the "Syzygy" name simply expire from disuse, or did you buy it from the rights holder? I know 30+ years is a long time, but to trademarks have an expiry date like copyrights?

For example, the copyright on Steamboat Mickey should have expired, but you can't use it because the name, character, and likeness of "Mickey Mouse" is still trademarked by Disney...

Edited by stardust4ever

Because Atari filed for incorporate in CA in 1972. We incorporated in NY in 2012. There are in fact multiple "Syzygy's" in both CA and NY with variations like "Syzygy Consulting" and "Syzygy Health" etc...

Syzygy Company LLC is registered in NY. Trademarks are different and Bushnell & Dabney (Not Atari) didn't file for a trademark at the time, they filed for incorporation. Trademarks are a completely different matter.

Atari attempted to claim it first. Quick question: if Atari originally filed an application for "Syzygy" and failed (because it was presumably already taken), then how were you able to obtain it? Did the "Syzygy" name simply expire from disuse, or did you buy it from the rights holder? I know 30+ years is a long time, but to trademarks have an expiry date like copyrights?

For example, the copyright on Steamboat Mickey should have expired, but you can't use it because the name, character, and likeness of "Mickey Mouse" is still trademarked by Disney...