IGNORED

Intellivision A/V mods available?

FujiSkunk

Hey, all. I'm planning on starting an Intellivision round of screenshots and audio clips for my website (details in sig). Are there any Intellivision A/V mods out there for composite or S-video connection? I thought I read that the Intellivision did not lend itself very well to modding, but that was a long time ago, and possibly remembered incorrectly.

If there are such beasts, any recommendations on who to commission for a mod? Sadly I'm still not all that handy with a soldering iron.

Hey, all. I'm planning on starting an Intellivision round of screenshots and audio clips for my website (details in sig). Are there any Intellivision A/V mods out there for composite or S-video connection? I thought I read that the Intellivision did not lend itself very well to modding, but that was a long time ago, and possibly remembered incorrectly.

If there are such beasts, any recommendations on who to commission for a mod? Sadly I'm still not all that handy with a soldering iron.

Pimpmaul69 did one for me. Works great. He's our resident intv tech genius.

Edited by Fushek

I haven't done it yet, but it seems to be much easier to do on an Intellivision II. Whenever I get a backup II console, that will be my test subject.

I haven't done it yet, but it seems to be much easier to do on an Intellivision II. Whenever I get a backup II console, that will be my test subject.

I've got a spare one with no power supply and controllers that are not in good shape, the console works, just needs to be cleaned up. Let me know if you are interested.

I've got a spare one with no power supply and controllers that are not in good shape, the console works, just needs to be cleaned up. Let me know if you are interested.

I have one coming in a lot I just purchased. It works but looks dirty etc, so it will be a perfect guinea pig! Thank you for the offer though. :)

Strangely, when I think about the Atari there is no game to compel me to buy one again. I decided to get an Intellivision to play AD&D Cloudy Mountain, and then I started to remember some of the titles I loved linke Bump-n-Jump. And then it became like crack.

• Like 1

Oh, there's a very good reason I can't -> punch in nuts from wife, if I start another hobby.

Don't get me wrong, Atari was my first love. But I quickly grew bored of it. When I saw the ad for the Intellivision, I had to tell Atari that we had just grown apart. I did love the Atari joystick though.

Oh, there's a very good reason I can't -> punch in nuts from wife, if I start another hobby.

Don't get me wrong, Atari was my first love. But I quickly grew bored of it. When I saw the ad for the Intellivision, I had to tell Atari that we had just grown apart. I did love the Atari joystick though.

But it's not another hobby. It's still the same one... :)

Or do what I do:

"Hunny, you know how you've talked about that Atari VCS you had as a kid, and how you miss it? Well, I thought I'd do something special for you today, so I went to e-bay and got you this! SURPRISE!"

"What? you didn't have an Atari when you were a kid? Hmm, I guess it was me then. Oh well... mind if I play?" |:)

-dZ.

• Like 2

Strangely, when I think about the Atari there is no game to compel me to buy one again. I decided to get an Intellivision to play AD&D Cloudy Mountain, and then I started to remember some of the titles I loved linke Bump-n-Jump. And then it became like crack.

AD&D Cloudy Mountain... one of the most innovative games ever! So ahead of its time, no score (actually no numbers at all)... pure adventure.

Amazing adventure with no need of an item management interface. One of the first ever really scary games. The sound of a sleeping monster is one of the creepiest things ever.

Bump and Jump and all the Data East games (Burger Time, Lock N Chase, Mission X) are fantastic. I read somewhere that Thin Ice started as a conversion of another Data East arcade game. I will no be surprised as it is also a fantastic game. All gems... the start of the Japanese invasion!

Cheers and good luck in your collecting!

Edited by Oscar G.

But it's not another hobby. It's still the same one... :)

Or do what I do:

"Hunny, you know how you've talked about that Atari VCS you had as a kid, and how you miss it? Well, I thought I'd do something special for you today, so I went to e-bay and got you this! SURPRISE!"

"What? you didn't have an Atari when you were a kid? Hmm, I guess it was me then. Oh well... mind if I play?" |:)

-dZ.

Or even better... get yourself an Atari Module for the Intellivision II and you will technically still be within the borders of your hobby :)

Remember, with the Atari Module the INTV library expanded to thousands of games...

Or even better... get yourself an Atari Module for the Intellivision II and you will technically still be within the borders of your hobby :)

Remember, with the Atari Module the INTV library expanded to thousands of games...

I'll definitely keep my eyes out for one. I'll just get one in a lot. I've seen them now and again, and sometimes they don't cost too much.

AD&D Cloudy Mountain... one of the most innovative games ever! So ahead of its time, no score (actually no numbers at all)... pure adventure.

Amazing adventure with no need of an item management interface. One of the first ever really scary games. The sound of a sleeping monster is one of the creepiest things ever.

Bump and Jump and all the Data East games (Burger Time, Lock N Chase, Mission X) are fantastic. I read somewhere that Thin Ice started as a conversion of another Data East arcade game. I will no be surprised as it is also a fantastic game. All gems... the start of the Japanese invasion!

Cheers and good luck in your collecting!

AD&D forever changed what I expected games to be. I am lousy at twitch reflex Arcade type games, very frustrating for me. The adventure style of the game just took me to a completely different place. Boom, mind blown. I can't wait to play Treasure of Tarmin too, I never had that back then. I just finally finished setting up, I had to fix an old stand to all my Inty hardware into. Played one game of Bump 'n Jump, nerdgasm! I'm about 15 minutes my daughter and I will be having our Thin Ice death match.

• Like 1

AD&D TofT is also an amazing adventure. But this one requires a little bit of time, specially for managing your inventory. Once you are comfortable with the controls you are for a treat. I used to play this game for hours on end. Plenty of times, I would kill the Minotaur and I would ignore the treasure that finishes the game. Then I would continue exploring deep into the dungeon. This is also a very, very scary game. I hope that you'll enjoy it as much as I did. Cheers!

AD&D TofT is also an amazing adventure. But this one requires a little bit of time, specially for managing your inventory. Once you are comfortable with the controls you are for a treat. I used to play this game for hours on end. Plenty of times, I would kill the Minotaur and I would ignore the treasure that finishes the game. Then I would continue exploring deep into the dungeon. This is also a very, very scary game. I hope that you'll enjoy it as much as I did. Cheers!

Wow! I'll have to play it again, because I could never get into it. This is probably because I never played it as a kid, so I don't have much attachment to it, but the times that I've tried playing it, I can't get anywhere. I can't seem to understand how to explore, I always get lost, and end up getting killed by a skeleton.

One time I managed to get farther in than the first room, but I still didn't know much of what was going on... I'll have to give it another chance then.

-dZ.

I spent so much time with Tarmin as a young'un.

I used to do the same as you, I'd avoid the Minotaur on purpose until you couldn't avoid him anymore.

Several times I'd get to a point where I could stand at a spot in the maze and look in several directions and see more than one Minotaur, lol.

At that point I'd kill him and just keep exploring.

I'd try to level my guy and level my gear to the max before picking up the treasure.

A very under rated game IMHO.

Speaking of Mods: has anyone tried to paint an Intellivioice "white"? The spray paint these days have a few types that will bond well to plastic. The third and final lot arrived today, and it has a loose one in it. If it comes apart easy enough, I may try to paint it just for kicks. The tricky part will be figuring out what to do with the metallic trim piece.

• 1 year later...

So...

It's two years later, and I'm finally on the cusp of beginning Intellivision work for the Games of Atari website. I have just a single-digit number of Atari 2600 captures to go, which I will wrap up this month.

The consensus seems to be a composite mod is still the best upgrade possible with the existing video hardware, and that even the best composite mod is hit-or-miss, depending on the underlying hardware. Is that correct? Is composite the best bet because, similar to the video chip found in NES consoles, the Intellivision's video hardware doesn't offer split color and brightness signals, even internally? Is there a way to tell whether a given Intelly will have ghosting and/or color issues when modded for composite?

I see an RGB mod is also in the works, and I assume that signal can then be converted to composite or S-video as needed. I have other questions about such a mod, which I'll ask in that thread.

I bought one of the Turkish mod kits on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intellivision-A-V-Composite-Video-Mod-Kit-NTSC-PAL-DIY-/181043125890?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a2702de82. It was fairly easy to install and it works great! When you follow the instructions on the Bee's Life website, the RF output still works: http://www.intellivision.us/video_mod/video_mod.php