IGNORED

Playstation 4

Mendon

I really hope there is a way to play the titles I own for free on the streaming service.

ROFL. I'm sure that Sony is going to get right on that for you--oh wait, no they won't because they're evil.

You'll gladly pay multiple times for the same stuff and even thinking otherwise makes you a 'pirate' in their eyes.

For a comparison, I recently got an email from amazon stating that they've added most of the physical cd's I've ever bought from them over the years to my mp3 download list for free. Digital doesn't have to mean that customer service is gone--unless you're sony.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 4

What, you think there wouldn't possibly be a new generation of retrogamers? That's NOT "looking into a crystal ball", that's just coming to the realization that not everybody wants their entertainment to be like toilet paper -- good for one wipe, and then easily disposable.

• Like 2

All the youngsters I know can't wait to throw away their relatively-new _____________ and get the newest latest/greatest, and relish shitting on anything that isn't the latest/greatest. If the latest/greatest ain't released yet, they are impatient for it to be released. I don't think that bodes well for the likelihood of "future retrogamers." I think the industry is keenly aware of this mentality ("I want a new thrill damnit, and I want it right now"), and that observation is definitely considered in formulation of (and deemed compatible with) download-only business models that everything is going to.

_________ = you fill the blank.

Some good suggestions: cell phone, music, movies/TV , tablet computer, laptop computer, automobile, shoes/clothes, etc....etc...etc..

Edited by wood_jl

All the youngsters I know can't wait to throw away their relatively-new _____________ and get the newest latest/greatest, and relish shitting on anything that isn't the latest/greatest. If the latest/greatest ain't released yet, they are impatient for it to be released. I don't think that bodes well for the likelihood of "future retrogamers." I think the industry is keenly aware of this mentality ("I want a new thrill damnit, and I want it right now"), and that observation is definitely considered in formulation of (and deemed compatible with) download-only business models that everything is going to.

Some good suggestions: cell phone, music, movies/TV , tablet computer, laptop computer, automobile, shoes/clothes, etc....etc...etc..

I remember it being that way all my life and yet here I am.

• Like 2

I remember it being that way all my life and yet here I am.

The cycle (demand for brand new shit) has shortened, and tremendously-so. Look how long a "hit" song stayed on the charts 20 years ago. Look today. Look how many "artists" and "actors" come and go. There used to be far fewer, and each had measurable talent. Not so, anymore. Not even a camera shot in a movie can last for more than 3/4 of a second, and it must shake, or the kids will get bored. I don't remember that, as a kid. I remember Star Trek movies where they featured lengthy shots of the ship's exterior, so you could admire it. In the J.J. Abrams movie, you can't even tell what the fuck you're looking at. I left the movie, not-knowing what a Romulan ship looked like, only that there was one there. I don't remember it being that way all my life, and I am here.

As soon as a new Call of Duty game comes out, you're ready for the next installment. As soon as the next installment comes out, the previous one becomes absolute shit, instantly. This is despite the fact that there's not that much different anymore, with each release. "Future retrogaming" means playing Call of Duty 6 when Call of Duty 29 is out. As a matter of fact, the kids can Retrogame now by playing Call of Duty 2. See if you can get some of them to put down Black Ops 2 and try it again. Best of luck, in that endeavor.

Edited by wood_jl
  • Like 2

The cycle (demand for brand new shit) has shortened, and tremendously-so. Look how long a "hit" song stayed on the charts 20 years ago. Look today. Look how many "artists" and "actors" come and go. There used to be far fewer, and each had measurable talent. Not so, anymore. Not even a camera shot in a movie can last for more than 3/4 of a second, and it must shake, or the kids will get bored. I don't remember that, as a kid. I remember Star Trek movies where they featured lengthy shots of the ship's exterior, so you could admire it. In the J.J. Abrams movie, you can't even tell what the fuck you're looking at. I left the movie, not-knowing what a Romulan ship looked like, only that there was one there. I don't remember it being that way all my life, and I am here.

As soon as a new Call of Duty game comes out, you're ready for the next installment. As soon as the next installment comes out, the previous one becomes absolute shit, instantly. This is despite the fact that there's not that much different anymore, with each release. "Future retrogaming" means playing Call of Duty 6 when Call of Duty 29 is out. As a matter of fact, the kids can Retrogame now by playing Call of Duty 2. See if you can get some of them to put down Black Ops 2 and try it again. Best of luck, in that endeavor.

But you are talking about the masses and over looking that some of the new stuff that is constantly being pumped out stands the test of time while most stuff doesn't. I can turn on the radio and find music from 1,2,3,4,5,...10...50 years ago. Therefore retro music listeners exist. The same if I turn on my TV. How long a hit song stays on the charts is irreverent. What matters is how long the song stays on the radio. They wouldn't play old songs and movies if there wasn't an audience for them.

I never played a Call of Duty game but I consider sequels, remakes, genres, and franchises as retro games because they are an extension of their older version. It is gaming that has stood the test of time. To understand the concept think of Chess. You can't get much more retro than that. I would consider every single Chess board and every single Chess video game just as much retro gaming as the first board created including the versions of Chess made tomorrow. If Call of Duty makes it to 29 then I would consider that retro gaming but that would be irreverent to the idea of owning older versions to pull out of your closet unless the older versions have features not in the most recent version like different maps they enjoyed and if they stopped making Call of Duty then the last version they made people would want to pull out of their closet. Call of Duty isn't the only game. Any game that is made in the present that either has something to offer in older versions or won't have future versions people will want to pull out of the closet.

Also, if retro video gaming is dead then why would the big three be trying to get people to buy the same game over and over with digital downloads? If it is dead then they are trying to exploit retro gamers that don't exist and it would make more sense for them to try to get people to just buy the games once before tossing them.

Oh! Isn't she beautiful?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TUptZhKkMo

• Like 1

No.

Yes.

No. We're doing the "You guys like Italian?" bit from The Voyage Home, right?

onmode-ky

P.S. For the record, I am not a fan of the reboot's Enterprise design. It pales in comparison to the stunning refit Constitution-class design by Mike Minor, Andrew Probert, et al.

• Like 1

No. We're doing the "You guys like Italian?" bit from The Voyage Home, right?

onmode-ky

P.S. For the record, I am not a fan of the reboot's Enterprise design. It pales in comparison to the stunning refit Constitution-class design by Mike Minor, Andrew Probert, et al.

The retrofit is beautiful, and agreed I like the retrofit over the rebooted design. But my favorite design has to be the NX-01

Edited by madmax2069

What, you think there wouldn't possibly be a new generation of retrogamers? That's NOT "looking into a crystal ball", that's just coming to the realization that not everybody wants their entertainment to be like toilet paper -- good for one wipe, and then easily disposable.

To be fair, there's a lot of games this generation that are sold like used toilet paper and advertised as a convenience/benefit for the player since they don't even have to do their own wiping.

• 2 weeks later...

Controller...nothing spectacular for me except I like that it may be more precise. I play fighting games and I prefer the PS controller over the 360 (only fight games).

http://www.destructoid.com/ps4-controller-and-cameras-fully-detailed-at-gdc-249816.phtml

Ok here's more system spec info:

http://www.destructoid.com/ps4-overview-at-gdc-covers-tech-hardware-specs-249814.phtml

Impressive...VERY f@cking impressive.

It tops my PC's graphics card by more than double the memory.

Still.........I'm not happy the way things are going with consoles (social route) and the complete lack of backwards compatability with discs and downloadable games.

It's ironic how the previous Playstations lauded their differences from the ubiquitous PC, and now the upcoming machine is x86-64!

Granted it's a whiz-bang x86, but who'd have thought, with all that hype from years gone-by?

Remember the tremendous hype over the PS2's Emotion Engine? (even the name itself is hype)

Here's a good example: The Sony Emotion Engine: Will PlayStation2 replace your PC?

The PS2 was "so powerful" that Saddam Hussein was going to harness the enormous power of the Emotion Engine to threaten the world!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9J1UPGDJAY

At 1:15: "Experts claim that the computer chip and 3D processor in the Playstation are 1000x more powerful than the most sophisticated computer on the consumer market today!"

Really?

Then all that hype about the PS3's Cell processor being a "Supercomputer-on-a-chip?"

Even EE times said it was twice the performance of Xbox 360.

From: http://money.cnn.com/2005/05/16/technology/personaltech/e3_sony/

Kaz Hirai said:

We have always attempted to do things differently. Our vision has taken us to unprecedented levels of success and innovation. Just keeping up with conventional technology is not enough for us.

Here's some real Sony hype: (they're billing this one as the "Cell Broadband Engine." A bit of hype in that name, too, eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epq7Oc3nmjM

Someone on Cnet seemed to think it was all hype:

Xbox 360's processor has three general purpose CPU cores. The Cell processor has only one, not 8 like they try to tell everyone. The other seven processors have no cache and no direct access to memory. So they are not useful as far as game programming goes, but it sure looks good on paper. The XBOX 360 processor will still load and run games faster and better.

It almost seems as if the Cnet guy was paid by Microsoft, which isn't out of the question, of course.

But after all that Sony "unprecedented innovation," the PS4 is a PC? I guess since a Macintosh is really a PC too, it shouldn't be that surprising.

Edited by wood_jl
  • Like 1

Sony is full of crap which they shovel to media outlets who are even more brainless.

It seems like the PS4 will have more than adequate power but I still think my PC is quite frankly........better in a lot of ways.

:-D

I think this may be the last go around for consoles but I may be wrong people love em' no matter what. I dont know what's going to happen.

Microsoft and Sony are not wanting to beat their chest and come out with exotic powerful designs. it's all about making money and it took way too long to make money this gen. the 360 and PS3 were powerful. at about the level of a midrange PC but at a much much lower price. This upcoming gen is already starting out at a much lower baseline. The hardware is upcoming hardware that's aimed toward the lower segment of the PC market. components that you would use to build an HTPC that doesn't requires a huge power supply.

which indicates that they know they can't dominate the market like before. that they're becoming service-oriented to keep people interested. and that they're going to go to more rapid hardware revisions. people are willing to buy devices at faster rates as shown by the mobile devices and tablets market. I know people that paid a lot for an iPad 2, only to get the latest iPad only a year later.

I think the days of custom hardware for consoles is near the end. You need to go after commonly available parts to keep costs down.

It's funny when I see Playstation fans beat their chest over PS4 when my PC is already faster than it. Especially when I upgrade my graphics card at the next refresh.

I really have to disagree with this statement, I'm only 20 myself, I never grew up with really any of these older games. My 1st real system was a PS1 (technically a Genesis, but I was a bit too young to really play it). I looked back at older games because I love history and came to find out that these games are extremely fun, and in some ways superior to newer ones. More than half of the games I own, I had never previously played or knew anything about, so it isn't just nostalgia.

I picked up a 2600 on a bit of a whim with a bunch of games. I got some of my friends over and we played some games on it. It was probably one of the funnest times I've ever had. The bug hit my friends too, they picked up older systems themselves and started playing games that they hadn't been playing before. I don't personally know or associate with anyone that is clamoring for a new laptop for phone every couple of months, you use what you have and when it wears out/breaks replace it.

So, I just wanted to make it clear that not every "kid" feels that the new stuff is somehow better. Those with the intelligence to look past the superficial differences will find that there is fun to be had in all generations of gaming, and really isn't that what we're all here for, having fun playing games.

• Like 2

So, I just wanted to make it clear that not every "kid" feels that the new stuff is somehow better. Those with the intelligence to look past the superficial differences will find that there is fun to be had in all generations of gaming, and really isn't that what we're all here for, having fun playing games.

Glad to read what you wrote! There is hope for the future! :)

They'd only have your real name if you gave it to them. Just like facebook. My "real name" would end up being something like David Berkowitz or Richard Ramirez.

Don't expect them to be happy with fake names in their terms of service. That's an instant excuse to cancel your account. Working around the real names issue just allows them to get away with it.

It's ironic how the previous Playstations lauded their differences from the ubiquitous PC, and now the upcoming machine is x86-64!

Granted it's a whiz-bang x86, but who'd have thought, with all that hype from years gone-by?

Remember the tremendous hype over the PS2's Emotion Engine? (even the name itself is hype)

Here's a good example: The Sony Emotion Engine: Will PlayStation2 replace your PC?

wood_jl,

I was impressed by the 128 bit Emotion Engine when it came out and now; PS3 emulation of this (before it was pulled) always fell short and the PS3 owners I know who wanted to play GOW all had to go and buy a PS2.

The PS4 will be even less capable of emulating the Emotion Engine or the cell processor for that matter but that doesn't matter because it's just a gaming PC.

This raises questions about the PS4 PC model though; traditionally, the SONY way to creating a SONY brand PC has been to simply take ownership of your PC using a trick ROOT Kit.

At the time all PC's were powerful enough to run the ROOT kit; now only tangerine and strawberry Alienware gaming PC's would be powerful enough to run and install SONY PS4 as a stealth rootkit but Moore's law is rapidly changing this...

Don't expect them to be happy with fake names in their terms of service. That's an instant excuse to cancel your account. Working around the real names issue just allows them to get away with it.

Why wouldn't they be happy with fake names when facebook is already happy with fake names and they're going to get "real names" from facebook?

The real name thing is an "opt in" type thing anyway. The only people who will ever see your "real name" are your friends on facebook who already know you unless you decide to opt in and let everyone see it.

For instance, the console's "True Name" social functionality isn't automatic -- you have to opt-in to who will see your real name versus your PlayStation Network ID. That is, unless you find a friend through Facebook or another social network where your real name is already your main ID; in that instance, the console defaults to displaying your actual name.

http://www.engadget....c-2013-details/