IGNORED

D2K Arcade Competition - Pic Submission Thread

No, i didnt know it was being sent to me. I cant keep track of that thing!

I just checked my PO Box today. Did someone really send it to me?

you were supposed to pm your address to the guy who had it. i forget who that was.

edit: jasonlikesintv is who u were supposed to pm

Edited by pimpmaul69

So, at work, Im not used to getting bonuses from our client, a major phone company in Canada. Strangely, I was gifted a 50$ prepaid AMEX card for making a suggestion about how to make one of our tools at work better. Since this falls outside of my budget for this month, I was looking to get some gaming on, and decided that picking up the budget release of D2K Arcade so that I could take part in the high score competition. So, a few days after I make my payment, I get a wonderful package in the mail:

d2kpic1

First off, I am super impressed with the quality of materials in this package. As the thread states, these manuals could have some 'defects'. I think there is a tiny white spot on the manual. Im getting this game to play, and later to put on the shelf. Its gorgeous. Im not an overlay user, so while they are immaculate, they are going to stay that way, in a binder page. Secondly, I looked at the cartridge sticker and Im thinking 'Do I have a cart that this will fit that I can cannibalize?'. Nope, no duplicates of anything it would fit on (but now that I think of it, perhaps Carnival?) ... what to do... I looked at the poor, sad Skiing cart with the ripped, faded label that was sitting in front of me. Grabbing an exacto knife, I made myself a nice label for this cart, and will have to get an official cart at a later date this year.

d2kpic2

I took my trusty Sears Super Arcade upstairs, and hooked up the thing (found one of my switch boxes coax pin was broken. grr.) to my lovely HD TV. Sat down in front of the TV... immediately stood back up and got screen cleaner... I do not understand how my wife can watch TV on a screen that dirty. Sitting back down, I fired everything up. DAMN, this looks good. I was even very impressed with the look of the Elektronite logo on this thing. Just Damn. Lets try a few levels.

Im going to admit, I wasnt taking pictures the first few times I played, because I wasnt going to try and get a 'high score' entry under the 7600 built in HS. And it was pretty terrible. I haven't played Donkey Kong in forever, and I had never seen Twisted Girders before, so this was kinda weird. I got rocked about a dozen times learning where and how to jump, getting 'controller'd' when I hit the wrong direction, and learning the oddities while getting a little frustrated. Then I realized that I couldn't figure out why I would die sometimes, with no apparent reason. I remembered reading something in the manual... yup, 30fps flicker needed. Oh look, more sprites.

After I got everything down, I got my first two shots of Pie Factory:

d2kpic3

d2kpic4

The first two times, I had one life when I got there, so this was problematic. The third time I got there with only one life again, but was able to get through. My first attempt at Barrels was terrible, and just barely made it onto the second platform when a barrel came down a ladder at my head.

d2kpic5

And a little later after that, I made it for the first time into the refinery, but I didnt know what I was doing so I lost my last life. That being said, this was also my best score, a whopping 10,100!

d2kpic6

That all said: Woot. This game rocks!

Edited by nukeshed
  • Like 1

Since there's no description here… I thought I would add this:

This is a video capture (using a composite-modified Intellivision II) of my then eight-year-old son playing D2K and reaching the Eliminator. Although he got a great score (62,600), this is not his best game. (He's actually past the Eliminator and reached a score over 80,000.)

Any of you who are having trouble developing strategies would do well to study this video a bit. Especially the first screen, "Twisted Girders", where my son has developed some pretty slick strategies that nearly always work. I know a lot of people have trouble with the screen, but if you can get over that hump, I think we should see some great scores here.

Anyway, good luck with the competition and I look forward to following the thread and reading about everyone's experiences. :-)

Carl

• Like 4

Good news: after studiously watching Carl's son's vid, I can consistently get to the Refinery.

Bad news: after studiously watching Carl's son's vid, I get beaten with a mailbox by the Refinery.

Anyone got any tips?

Also:

d2kpic9

New High for me: 14200

edit: ugh, I should really put a damn shirt on :(

Edited by nukeshed

Good news: after studiously watching Carl's son's vid, I can consistently get to the Refinery.

Bad news: after studiously watching Carl's son's vid, I get beaten with a mailbox by the Refinery.

Anyone got any tips?

Also:

New High for me: 14200

edit: ugh, I should really put a damn shirt on :(

Can you post some gameplay footage of you playing the Refinery? I could probably give you some pointers, and would be happy to do so.

you were supposed to pm your address to the guy who had it. i forget who that was.

edit: jasonlikesintv is who u were supposed to pm

I was? I must of missed something.

I'm soooo sorry guys. I really dropped the ball on this :P I was busy all weekend. It's all packed up and ready to go, but I don't have an address to send it to. Pimpmaul suggested that I send it to Rev, who will then send it to Pimp. I need one of your addresses, though.

To quote Monty Python and the Holy Grail ... "I'm getting better!"

Finally made it past the elevators and was able to save the girl from the clutches of that evil gorilla. Imagine my displeasure with that little idiot of a girl getting herself captured again. I was so angry with her that I didn't make it very far the second time around.

Honestly, you stupid broad, avoid the giant monkey. Geesh!

post-31049-0-18069100-1360601457_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fushek
  • Like 1