IGNORED

Arcade/MAME HSC Season 5.5: Mr. Do's Castle

Deteacher

1181242138270.jpg

Mr Do!, the clown, moves around six floors interconnected by ladders -- some fixed, some whose top can be pushed left or right. Baddies look like unicorns. He has a hammer which can knock out floor stones.

The hammer is used to knock out floor stones. Some are marked with a cherry - collect all these to finish the level. The unicorns baddies fall into holes that you knock into the floor. Some fall through and survive, whereas some get stuck in the holes. If left they will climb out, leaving a block in the hole, and become nastier baddies. The way to kill the unicorns is to knock a block from the floor above onto their head. When all are killed, the level is complete. The hammer can be used against them, but merely pushes them away a little. On the nastier ones, this does not work at all!

There are sections of floor marked at each end with a skull block which, when both skull blocks are knocked out, all the blocks fall to reveal 'wooden floorboards'. Good for killing multiple monsters!

There are three blocks in the floor which contain keys. Knock them all out to open the doors at the top of the screen. Behind it is a shield, which when collected turns the unicorns into Alphamonsters. The Alphamonsters flee from Mr. Do!, and can be killed with his hammer or by knocking out a floor stone onto them. When you kill an Alphamonster, its letter appears on a flagpole at the top of the screen. Collect all five letters to obtain another Mr. Do!

post-9712-0-40966200-1359897918.png post-9712-0-63028400-1359897930.png

Game Information:

Game Name: Mr. Do's Castle/1983

Manufactured by: Universal

Romset: docastle.zip

Dipswitches: Default (will look at this and post back.)

Chosen By: JohnnyBlaze (was also on M.A.M.E. Offender's and Vocelli's lists.)

ROM Location: http://www.romnation...stle-set-1.html

BONUS: Collect the hidden diamond and earn 3 bonus points! Must provide the congratulations screenshot to collect:

Round ends on Sunday, February 10th, 2013 at 12:00 Midnight (EST)

Current High Scores: Updated to post #46:

1. 72,440 Cynicaster +18

2. 62,660 kane +17

3. 58,400 hepcat +13

4. 57,300 Deteacher +12

5. 55,620 patbb +14

6. 50,500 Fallout_002 +13

7. 44,100 Mangia-boy +9

8. 33,580 M.A.M.E. Offender +11

9. 32,480 bigbee99 +7

10. 29,480 jblenkle +6

11. 24,540 Kloverz178 +8

12 23,420 Roadrunner +7

13. 17,240 Darthkur +3

14. 16,280 kane +5

15. 10,140 NIKON +1

16. 10,140 BillyHW +1

17. 5,480 Classicgamer_27330 +1

Points Leaderboard:

1. M.A.M.E. Offender [49]

2. patbb [48]

3. kane [47]

4. bigbee99 [46]

5. Deteacher [43]

6. hepcat [35]

7. NIKON [32]

8. Fallout_002 [27]

9. asponge [27]

10. Cynicaster [24]

11. Darthkur [23]

12. Classicgamer_277330 [18]

13. Vocelli [14]

14. kloverz178 [14]

15. onmode-ky [11]

16. JohnnyBlaze [10]

17. Mangia-Boy [10]

18. Beaver On The Wood [9]

19. Wispfollower [8]

20. Jblenkle [6]

21. roadrunner [6]

22. Liduario [3]

23. mr. toast [2]

24. Homerwannabe [2]

25. MisterVCS [1]

26. BillyHW [1]

Edited by Deteacher

1181242138270.jpg

Mr Do!, the clown, moves around six floors interconnected by ladders -- some fixed, some whose top can be pushed left or right. Baddies look like unicorns. He has a hammer which can knock out floor stones.

The hammer is used to knock out floor stones. Some are marked with a cherry - collect all these to finish the level. The unicorns baddies fall into holes that you knock into the floor. Some fall through and survive, whereas some get stuck in the holes. If left they will climb out, leaving a block in the hole, and become nastier baddies. The way to kill the unicorns is to knock a block from the floor above onto their head. When all are killed, the level is complete. The hammer can be used against them, but merely pushes them away a little. On the nastier ones, this does not work at all!

There are sections of floor marked at each end with a skull block which, when both skull blocks are knocked out, all the blocks fall to reveal 'wooden floorboards'. Good for killing multiple monsters!

There are three blocks in the floor which contain keys. Knock them all out to open the doors at the top of the screen. Behind it is a shield, which when collected turns the unicorns into Alphamonsters. The Alphamonsters flee from Mr. Do!, and can be killed with his hammer or by knocking out a floor stone onto them. When you kill an Alphamonster, its letter appears on a flagpole at the top of the screen. Collect all five letters to obtain another Mr. Do!

Sounds a bit complicated.

Yes, great game.

But I think the Coleco version is even superior to the arcade version. The control there forgives more inaccurateness in hammering the blocks.

Well then we shall have to play Mr. Do's Castle in the ColecoVision HSC some time! :)

I for one would be interested in seeing the difference between the arcade version and Coleco.

I haven't played this game before now, so I have 2 questions on the diamond. Is it a really rare occurrence and is there a certain way of triggering it? Checking a few websites states it's completely random, not sure if that's the case.

The diamond appears at random. You get a free game if you grab it.

As far as I know, the diamond is part of all the Mr. Do games.

The only one I can not remember seeing it is the Run Run version.

Have a look as this article by Don Hodges about triggering the diamond in Mr. Do.

http://www.donhodges...ond_trigger.htm

Edit: You also get 8000 points for collecting the diamond.

Edited by patbb

updated hi-24540

Thanks for the link. The technical aspect is well over my head, but I love the hidden things they were able to stick in some of these games. I could just imagine some kid in an arcade gets the diamond and tells their friends, followed by them not being able to show them since they had no idea how it happened.

post-34981-0-69834200-1359996211_thumb.png

The diamond appears at random. You get a free game if you grab it.

As far as I know, the diamond is part of all the Mr. Do games.

The only one I can not remember seeing it is the Run Run version.

Have a look as this article by Don Hodges about triggering the diamond in Mr. Do.

http://www.donhodges...ond_trigger.htm

Edit: You also get 8000 points for collecting the diamond.

I find it incredible that people actually went out of their way to solve this mystery. No cure for cancer yet, but gosh darn it, we know how to get the diamond in Mr. Do.

And that's the way it should be.

This is a great and fun game. Very colourful and Mr. Do is an adorable character. Interesting gameplay with some depth.

I'm surprised I never heard of it before or never seen it.

Lots of home ports. I think the ColecoVision and C64 versions look best. Each with their own system's styles. The C64 also has a neat effect on the ladders when they flip.

Even the Atari 2600 version has great sound.

Edited by BillyHW

I think the diamond shows up pretty frequently, I got one after playing for only 27 minutes ;)

26,280 + Super Awesome Diamond Bonus

Havn't really got a hang of the game yet, a lot of things to learn in this game it seems...

post-27306-0-06485300-1360045303.png

post-27306-0-75503700-1360045305.png