IGNORED

XBLA Track & Field help

Atariboy

Started really trying to play this for the first time tonight. Having a fairly easy go of it for the most part. But I'm struggling with the Javelin Throw event. Somehow my first time I completely lucked out and earned the Hercules achievement for hurling the hammer further than 90.00 meters. But since that fluke, I haven't even qualified once and I'm usually not even getting it going in the right direction. Anyone have any advice? I'm using the buttons for everything if that matters.

Also, any advice for the high jump event? I didn't really figure it out the one time I reached it.

And lastly, I have an achievement question. Is the 100 meter dash achievement bugged? I'm consistently finishing it well under 10 seconds now but still no achievement. Edit - Looks like you can't use original graphics for this achievement. Switching to enhanced solved the problem.

Fun game, I'm glad I bought it since it was an 80's arcade game even though it has taken a few years for me to get around to it. Always looked too complicated so I've put off trying to get into it.

Edited by Atariboy

This is one of the few 80's titles I never picked up I don't think. I'll double check when I get a chance. After getting burned on some of the 80's titles (changed sounds, crappy control) I decided not to get any more. I'll have to at least try out the demo on this one.

I'm guessing your problem is with the Hammer Throw, but you say the Javelin Throw AND the Hammer Throw (toss). If it's the hammer, you'll notice it changes color at one point every time it hits a certain point, which is the correct time to press the button to release it. Of course, you need some momentum to throw it long enough, so it's tougher. And as with most things, an approximate 45 degree angle is what you want.

I forget the specifcs of the high jump, but you press the button once, when close, release it, then I THINK you have to do that two more times during the jump. I'm sure the details are easily found in a search, I just can't remember.

Leaderboards seem dominated by people using turbo controllers so I dug out my MadCatz gamepad. At least I'm able to easily go past the events I have under control to get to the last two giving me issues this way. :)

I'm guessing your problem is with the Hammer Throw, but you say the Javelin Throw AND the Hammer Throw (toss). If it's the hammer, you'll notice it changes color at one point every time it hits a certain point, which is the correct time to press the button to release it. Of course, you need some momentum to throw it long enough, so it's tougher. And as with most things, an approximate 45 degree angle is what you want.

That's a mistake, I just mean the hammer throw event. I had the javelin throw event under control pretty much immediately. Even was able to hit a bird pretty easily when I tried it to get an achievement. But even with all the timing advice I've found with the power bar and several with the red flashes in the hammer throw, it still seems like luck to me. A few times I was able to replicate things pretty easily but then would fail the next several times I reached the event. Hard to picture getting the timing down good enough to successfully do this 3 times in a row.

Do you ever hit the run button when you do the high jump after jumping? Saw that advice mentioned a few times to get some extra height with your jump. On the bright side I finally made it over once but I'm still well away from doing it consistently.

This is one of the few 80's titles I never picked up I don't think. I'll double check when I get a chance. After getting burned on some of the 80's titles (changed sounds, crappy control) I decided not to get any more. I'll have to at least try out the demo on this one.

I can't remember if I saw you on the leaderboards or not.

It seems fine to me but I have no prior experience beyond messing with it a couple of times on the DS collection Konami put out (Which was really a poor choice of a game for a handheld). My advice though is to not get this if you don't have an arcade stick. I can't imagine even getting any further than past the opening event with a gamepad.

I was pretty happy with the most part with the games Digital Eclipse programmed on XBLA even though I heard of problems like audio issues with Gyruss (Which sounds close enough for me). My biggest problems with those releases (At least the early Konami and Midway releases; I think the problem is gone with later things like Tron) were that the high scores weren't saved and the audio level of the games seem too low. I'm always having to crank up the volume when I fire up something like Time Pilot. They sure beat the audio replication in Game Room though at least. Some of the stuff like the opening audio in Juno First isn't anywhere close to how it's supposed to sound and at least one game is missing its background music entirely.

Edited by Atariboy