IGNORED

Faster server coming soon!

Albert

Are you going to convert them to InnoDB ? I've been using it instead of MyISAM for awhile now...

The forum was written with MyISAM in mind and using InnoDB isn't officially supported. However, some rather large sites have gone over to it. One of the big issues is InnoDB doesn't support Fulltext searching, which the forum makes use of. MySQL 5.6 (which just went into General Availability a few days ago) DOES support InnoDB Fulltext searching, but I can't upgrade to 5.6 just yet. However, I'm using a third-party search engine, Sphinx, so MOST queries that would use Fulltext are using Sphinx instead. Unfortunately, I think there are still a few queries that don't have Sphinx replacements, such as when you search for messages inside the Private Messenger. I need to do a bit of digging. I'll probably convert all (most) of the tables to InnoDB while I have the server all to myself and can do some experiments.

..Al

The backups have gotten progressively worse over time. The database is nearly 6GB in size at the moment. And you can't really backup a database full of (mostly) MyISAM tables without locking them. Needless to say, this is a good opportunity to change the way database backups are done!

As for the AJAX, I don't think it's too bad--certainly some of the AJAX calls are balanced out by not having to do full page reloads. For instance, Quick Replies that add your post to the page without reloading. Which is a pretty common task. And pretty much all AJAX calls require some interaction from the user. Even the "Spy" page has a limited window where it will run before it stops updating the page.

Al,

I agree the AJAX has gotten much better!

IMO you don't need to bother with the backups at all anymore with that nice RAID :)

That isn't the suggested protocol but more than adequate with MySQL.

IMO you don't need to bother with the backups at all anymore with that nice RAID :)

I want to do backups as even with the RAID, when things are deleted or changed, that will be reflected in the RAID mirror as well. It's useful to have daily, weekly, and monthly backups that you can reference them if needed. I've had to do so in the past for various reasons.

..Al

• Like 1

I was wondering if video files were going to be allowed to be uploaded?

and what will be the file size limit if this can be done.

Haven't given video files much thought. Seems like YouTube might be best for videos, unless there's some specific reason you don't want to use a service like that?

..Al

I think videos would be a mistake. People come on here and start all kinds of off-topic, nonsense threads (raising hand here - I've done it myself) cluttering up the forums already, and the last thing you'd need is a bunch of off-topic trash videos, political garbage, etc. attached to it and wasting gigabytes of storage and needlessly consuming bandwidth. I'm for increasing the upload attachment size, and saving the space for computer/videogame-related stuff.

Perhaps if you did allow videos, they could be restricted to things that pertain directly to the core constituency of the AtariAge enthusiast: videogames/computers/technology. Just my 1/10th-of-a-cent opinion.

Just upload your game videos to YouTube. With all of the normal ads and video ads that you can and can't skip, I'm sure they can afford it. If it ever becomes illegal to post game videos, AtariAge wouldn't be able to have them either, so let YouTube pay to host the videos while it's still legal.

Looks good and fast so far. :)

I noticed that the list of active users at the bottom of the root forum page is not in alphabetical order like it used to be.

Yeah, that's a hook that I wrote that needs to be updated. It was causing warnings at the top of the page, so I disabled it for now. I'll look at that today, but need to take care of a few higher priority items first.

Thanks!

..Al

When will email notifications start working again?

They are working fine for me. Please check to make sure they aren't being blocked on your end. The server move means email is coming from a different IP address, so I could fathom email being marked as spam until you mark one or more messages as good.

..Al