IGNORED

Atari 5200 - 4 port - power modification. WARNING: BIG !

CPUWIZ

Anyway, I got a larger diode than what Mitch used. It had all the same specs, but it was rated for three times the current.

Yeah, same here. I picked up the 3A diode (276-1141).

I plan to get the parts from Rat Shack. Can you please give me the names and numbers for the rest of the parts? All but the powerjack as I saw those there the other day.

Thanks

Aside from the power jack, here's the December 2006 Cell Phone Shack parts list:

47uF 35V electrolytic cap

1N5400 rectifier diode #276-1141 (bear in mind this is overkill--a smaller diode will work)

I don't remember right off what the filter cap is but it's a ceramic disc type with a number 104 on it.

Also, you need at least four inches of wire and a desoldering tool for the 4700uF cap and the inductor you have to remove.

Cell Phone Shack should have all this and a bag of chips. Count your lucky stars, since this is one of the few projects they have parts for.

The diodes and the filter caps come two to a pack, and I have one of each left over. If you want 'em, PM me with your address and I'll send 'em to ya. Cheaper for me to buy a stamp than for you to buy extra parts.

Edited by shadow460

Can you please give me the names and numbers for the rest of the parts?

I'll list 'em all just in case someone else digs up this thread :D

Size N Panel-Mount Coaxial DC Power Jack

Model: 274-1576 | Catalog #: 274-1576

0.1µF 50V Hi-Q Ceramic Disc Capacitor Pk/2

Model: 272-135 | Catalog #: 272-135

3-Amp Barrel Diodes

Model: 1N5404 | Catalog #: 276-1144

47µF 35V 20% Radial-lead Electrolytic Capacitor

Model: 272-1027 | Catalog #: 272-1027

Edited by remowilliams

Except when talking about Crap Shack. They're far more likely to be stocking potato chips than the ICs you might need. :lol:
And they'll try to sell you an extended service plan when you buy them, too.

I dunno, that might pay off big...

"So you're saying that if these batteries fail in the next five years, for ANY reason, you'll replace them?"

• 8 months later...
I don't remember right off what the filter cap is but it's a ceramic disc type with a number 104 on it.

104 just means 0.01 uF

First 2 numbers are value in pF and 3rd number is the multiplier. So 104= 10*10^4 or 100,000 pF or 0.01 uF

It's 0.1 uF, not 0.01 .

100,000 pF = 100 nF = 0.1 uF

Notice the decimal point moves three places left each time the prefix increases.

• 3 months later...
Why remove LB i just had this done for me but it looks like you just solder at these two points no diode capacitor or anything. :)
Because doing it that way may cook any or all of the following: TV, 5200 console, AC adapter, and switchbox!

A standard Atari mechanical switchbox has an inductor in it, which acts like a short circuit to DC. Short circuit = BAD!

Your method puts DC power into the console all right, but also: puts DC power into the RF cable going to the switchbox (if used) and television, allows the RF signal from the console to go into the AC adapter (which may weaken and/or distort it somewhat), and allows RF noise from the AC adapter into the console and television.

EDIT: I see you're in Australia -- I don't know if that makes a difference, but for the U.S. the method shown in your photo would be unacceptable.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

Because doing it that way may cook any or all of the following: TV, 5200 console, AC adapter, and switchbox!

A standard Atari mechanical switchbox has an inductor in it, which acts like a short circuit to DC. Short circuit = BAD!

Your method puts DC power into the console all right, but also: puts DC power into the RF cable going to the switchbox (if used) and television, allows the RF signal from the console to go into the AC adapter (which may weaken and/or distort it somewhat), and allows RF noise from the AC adapter into the console and television.

EDIT: I see you're in Australia -- I don't know if that makes a difference, but for the U.S. the method shown in your photo would be unacceptable.

Thanks ill look into it it seems to work fine the work was done by 8bitdomain when he did my A/V mod :D

Why remove LB i just had this done for me but it looks like you just solder at these two points no diode capacitor or anything. :)

Thanks ill look into it it seems to work fine the work was done by 8bitdomain when he did my A/V mod :D

Taking another look at your photo, there appears to have been more done than just adding a power jack wired directly to the board. In that same area, the white legend printed on the board shows a component outline but the component itself is not present. Also, the large filter capacitor seems to have been replaced with a much smaller one. I would not be surprised if there were changes on the bottom of the board too.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

Well, I've only ever opened one up once, and at that time I didn't have the right power supply for it so I did a temporary no-special-switchbox mod just for testing, and I don't remember there being another inductor (or is that a high-power resistor?) right beside L8. (Yes, it's L8, not LB folks!) But of course I could be mistaken. I don't remember there being any need to add a diode as HARMIK mentioned in post #40, either.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

Actually the replacement motherboards from Best come with the smaller capacitor. And the part that is missing is just the RF lead (the metal bit that solders into the board) which is of no use in a PAL country if you are using AV out :D

Edited by mimo

so if RF was never to be used again, would it be ok (safe) to tap straight into the board?

Actually the replacement motherboards from Best come with the smaller capacitor. And the part that is missing is just the RF lead (the metal bit that solders into the board) which is of no use in a PAL country if you are using AV out :D

Yes the board is from best but even with AV you still need a TV that can take NTSC when i was a kid i had a 5200 but would it not work on any tv's from here so i got a small 14" from sears. TV's that can take NTSC and PALL are relatively new here, i still have my first 5200 which is still RF and that will also will only work on newer TV's :D

Yes the board is from best but even with AV you still need a TV that can take NTSC when i was a kid i had a 5200 but would it not work on any tv's from here so i got a small 14" from sears. TV's that can take NTSC and PALL are relatively new here, i still have my first 5200 which is still RF and that will also will only work on newer TV's :D

True

• 3 weeks later...