IGNORED

Arcadecraft - micromanage your own 80s arcade

onlysublime

anyone try out this XBLIG title yet? you own an 80s arcade and it's your job to decide what arcade machines to add to the arcade. you have to manage everything from emptying the coins to fixing the ROM boards. looks interesting. for people that like micromanaging games (also like to give a shout-out for the excellent Smooth Operators which is only $1).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHYijBEZySM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1d0AQunxrs

damn... an arcade is hard to run. razor thin margins. gamers get bored of the game before you can pay off the expense of the machine. they break all the time. paying back that loan is crazy! did you learn any tips to running it better? I don't want to be jacking up the prices to 50 cents.

I'm thinking you have to raise the prices when the popularity is sky high for the machine? I thought about lowering the difficulty of the machine when it's not popular any more. But it doesn't seem to improve the popularity or raise the revenue from the machine.

I made a lot of mistakes my first time around. I think I'll know better what to do my second time around. Did I say this is hard??? :P

I wish! some of the games sound interesting.

I'm really struggling with this game. first time around was a disaster. couldn't come up with the money in time to pay off the loan.

second time around, I was really stingy with buying machines and really milking the few that I had. when the popularity of a machine got low, I switched the difficulty of the machine from medium to easy. I was able to pay off the loan but it was downhill after that once the landlord raised the rent. because I had so few machines early so few money, it was just a money pit thereafter and a big time struggle. i sold off classic machines to interested buyers to make ends meet but that meant even fewer machines.

I'm getting this but on my Windows PC hopefully soon. They got a nice FAQ here that explains details about the game, how it works and of course some details on the PC version. Also, I think they mention adding Pinball tables at some point:

http://firebase.ca/arcadecraft-faq/

Wonder how long it will take to make the PC version considering they would have to make character models. The base software is already and done. Just a matter of porting to the PC which is really really easy with XNA.

Can't wait for some updates to the game. Hopefully it does well.

Then why isn’t there a PC version releasing at the same time as the Xbox version?

As we don’t have access to the Xbox Live Avatars on PC, the game is completely characterless.

Adding original characters to the PC version is going to take time and money. We would also need to do a character editor so players can customize their likeness. To achieve this goal we will probably have to do a Kickstarter or other mechanic to cover the costs. Details of this are really up in the air right now.

A real PC release would bring certain visual upgrades over the Xbox version such as more detailed textures, cabinets, effects and lighting!

First Large Content Update:

Date Planned: Mid March 2013 Delivery

• 1980-1985 3-4 extra games added to back fill the game here and there.
  • 1985 fully fleshed out with the empty months having machine releases.
  • 1986 simulated including 12/13 new games to complete the year. Includes one new import and one new sitdown cabinet.
  • 1-2 New Vending Machines. Snack Machine, Toy Crane, or Change Machine.
  • 1 new game manufacturer.
  • A new cash based item to improve your games.
  • Heatmapping the floor. Certain squares on the floor are naturally better to put machines on while others are worse.
  • Difficulty levels or difficulty tweaks. eg Genres only worth 1/4 a star instead of 1/2. Machine popularity lower to compensate for the heatmap.
  • All new, larger location with new customization options. At least one tile strip larger in both directions.
  • New Power Box Upgrade for more machines.
  • Everyone’s Arcade Names appearing in the Global Scoreboard Screen.
  • “Milestones” or faux Achievements to be attained.
  • Another Seasonal Item of some kind.
  • Exterior environment changes depending on the season and possibly the year.

Edited by onlysublime

Thank you for posting about this, onlysublime! One of the major events of my lifetime is that I was *this* close to opening an arcade right out of college, but then a series of things fell through and I wound up giving up on the dream. I've always regretted not doing it, even though at the time (around 93) it would likely have been a disaster as everything went straight to hell right about then, arcade wise. But you know, I was 22, mistakes get made....

But this is a great, great sim. I made it past the bank payback session partially because I read the note on here about someone getting hosed by that. :)

I'm still working with setting difficulty levels - seems like if you ever put a game above medium everyone complains up a storm. Same if you make a game $0.50; I only succeeded with that on a sit-down racing game so far.

But a very, very nice little sim. Not too shabby for $3. :)

i started my arcade a third time around. it will be successful this time!!! :P

my current debate was whether to sell an arcade machine when the home port comes out or keep it until it becomes a classic and a classic shopper wants to pay money for it. because nobody basically plays the arcade machine any more once the home version comes out. my strategy right now (not yet to be implemented) is to immediately sell these machines rather than holding on to them until they become classic. And then after the loan is paid off, I can hold machines for classic status so they can sell to the collectors for high value.

Yeah, I don't think the game is complex in total setup. If they give you the message that a home edition is out, just sell it like a hotcake. And generally, if a collector wants to buy, unless it's making lots of money, sell it. They'll give you a lot more than it will be worth a couple of months later. But I have managed to keep an older machine or two that became classic. How, I'm not sure...:P

yeah, my third time around was a success. the key for me was finally realizing how to keep track of the time cycle. before, I didn't know that it was a monthly thing and how at the time, you see the days of the month roll by. and if you know when the month starts and ends, then it makes it much easier to plan your purchases. and a big thing was not emptying the coins until the machine was full.

i did cut it very close on the loan though but it was more out of greed than anything. I maxed out purchases until 3 months to go and prayed that I would earn enough in the 3 months to pay off the loan. It came down to emptying the coins to come with the amount that i was just short of.

I know in the "things to fix in the update" he mentioned that he would pause the action when you're in the menus. please do! it's hard to enjoy running the business if you don't get to look at the machines, play around with the numbers, etc. other micromanager games have a much less frenetic pace.

Holy cow... I just played this game for 4 1/2 hours... Finally got to 1987 and the game ended. I had profited $244,000 dollars (total earned about $600,000.)

Yeah, I don't know if I had it on easy or what, but I didn't find it very hard. And they clearly are trying to recreate the early 80's, not just make a generic arcade sim. For example, a game like "Contractor Twins DX" (aka Super Mario Bros.) that is released in 1986 is SUPER popular, so it doesn't matter how much you charge or how hard it is, it will still make you a fortune.

I only wish they would allow for more than 30 machines... I kept having to sell off less popular games in order to try new ones. Of course what happens then is that a sequel to the game you sold off is released so you won't reap the rewards of setting them next to each other.

Overall, fun game. I hope pinballs are in the next revision!

My Tips: Keep the price at 25 cents, make the games easy, get a soda machine (charge $1), coin-out the machines often, buy more games early but fewer as you get closer to the 2 year payoff deadline. I had three months to go and I was sweating it a bit, but I was able to do it pretty safely. After that it's all gravy.

Edited by Gregory DG
  • Like 2

Wow, I thought I kicked the game's butt by having over $100k in the bank when it ended. :P It ended with a crash, also. And I rebooted it, and it crashed again, so apparently I will be restarting.

I _hadn't_ thought of making Soda $1, good call GDG! I had it at $0.50, constantly running out. :)

My most profitable game was Xsizar, it never went down below 2 stars in popularity and made me something like $20k by the time all was done. And yeah, I got the sequel and put it next to it.

I also never sold my Evil Void machine, though the retro collector guy kept wanting to buy it. It kept at least 2 stars in popularity and made me lots of dough.

I would love for there to be less hesitations when the month ends (always jarring), better timed events like when new games show up _right_ before month end, more decor options, and more ability to see the screens of the games you buy. And what they are like when you're selecting them after purchase; it doesn't list the game type on the info screen, so when I'm shuffling my arcade it's tough to figure out where to put them sometimes.

But this is fun stuff, and well worth my time and $3. :)

Yeah, that monthly report thing was annoying. Just a rolling status at the bottom would be fine. But having to press A two times each update... Jeesh.

And at first, I didn't sell my games to the collector. But later on in the game (and when I figured out he was offering what I originally paid for it) I decided to start selling them. Especially since just selling them regularly would only get you about 25% of the original paid price.

Oh, and that blackout thing is annoying. What is the point of going around and resetting all the machines? In real life when the power comes back on so does the machine...

Edited by Gregory DG

Can't wait for the upgrade to allow more than 30 machines and also a new bigger arcade place. Hopefully the game sells well enough to implement the upgrade (free upgrade, by the way).

I didn't sell the classic machines because I was hoping to have a classic arcade section for the arcade. But not enough machines became classic no matter how long I held onto them.

As for the blackout thing, I remember way back when, the arcade (loved the $5 entry to play all the video games you want for a few hours) had a blackout and when the power came back, a guy went around to all the machines to prep them to be ready again.

Anyone want to spend the time to compile a list of what games are supposed to be what? There's the obvious ones (or maybe to some they're all obvious, and I'm just not very good at deducing such...), like Gecko Run being Frogger, Space Rocks (duh)...Knight Birds as Joust...

But how about some of the other strange ones? I'm probably just too tired to put it together and will feel stupid for admitting to now knowing some, but....What is Cheese Police? Ballpark Run? Xzsisar? (Xevious? But there's a Sequel, is it Galaga?)

Yeah, I'd like to see a list too. Here's one I genned up just from watching some YouTube videos (haven't had a chance to play it again yet.)

-------------------------------

Forti = Atari

Space Rocks = Asteroids

Lunar Module = Lunar Lander

ICBM Wars = Missile Command

Crawlers = Centipede

Creepers = Millipede

Volt Storm =

Battle Seige (Cocktail) = Warlords

Monoco = Taito

Alien Landing = Space Invaders

Wild Blimp = Crazy Baloon?

Trident = Polaris?

Mountain Moguls =

Triq =

Wave = ??

Lead Bullets =

Qualify Lap (Sit-down cab) =

Fuel Injection (Sit-down cab) =

Katana Blade =

Fair Grounds =

Neutral

Phantom =

Lady Phantom =

Space Insects = Galaxian?

Solar Insects = Galaga

Pumper =

Millions = Williams

Protectian = Defender

Protectian 2 = Stargate

Cybroids 1999 =

Camping

Paint Trace (Cocktail) = Crush Roller/Make Trax

Ultra Dragon Fly =

Gecko Run (Cocktail) = Frogger

Future Ace = Time Pilot?

Points = Nintendo

Gorilla = Donkey Kong

Son of Gorilla = Donkey Kong Jr.

Gorilla 2 = Donkey Kong 3?

Contractor Twins = Mario Bros.

Contractor Twins DX = Super Mario Bros.

Not sure of the manufacturer

Angry Star = Sinistar

Lunar Crescent =

Cheese Police = Mousetrap?

Taxiom =

Edited by Gregory DG

It seems strange, and the $ don't add up, but I think the Phantom games are Pac-Man and Ms Pac-Man. And I think they do a Super Phantom later.

I was completely guessing on Pumper, but my best guess is Dig Dug?

Whether or not these match the manufacturers is another thing entirely. I had thought about Cheese Police being Mouse Trap but...the year didn't seem remotely right....

Oh, and I'm guessing that Volt Storm is Tempest? Hard to say.

But I like the call you made on Galaxian and Galaga, that seems about right.