IGNORED

Arcade/MAME HSC Season 5.7: Super Bubble Bobble

Deteacher

SUPER

118124206553.jpg

You play two dinosaurs, Bub and Bob. You try to complete all 100 levels and rescue your girlfriends by trapping monsters in bubbles and bursting them. Heaps of power-ups and hidden features.

post-25394-0-82045200-1361112188_thumb.pngpost-25394-0-13643600-1361112195_thumb.png

Game Information:

Game Name: Super Bubble Bobble

Manufacturer: Taito/1986

Romset: BUBLBOBR "Bubble Bobble (US Mode with select)"

Dipswitches: Stating lives: 3. Extra lives at 30K, 100K and ???

Chosen by: patbb

ROM Location: ???

DISCLAIMER: You may not use any powerup codes on the title screen, except the "super mode" code. If you do not have (or cannot find) the Romset for Super Bubble Bobble, you can input the following code in a regular bubble bobble Romset to access Super Mode:

Super Mode - 1P JUMP BUBBLE LEFT RIGHT JUMP 1P RIGHT

The word "Super" will be added to the title screen. When you begin the game, select Super Mode to play through the usual 100 levels at a higher difficulty, for a chance at seeing the True & Happy Ending.

BONUS TIME: Make it to the 1st secret room and earn 3 bonus points. Make it to the second secret room and earn an additional 5 bonus points. Make it to the third secret room and earn an additional 10 bonus points!!!

patbb [+3] and [+5]

Contest ends on SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 23rd, 11:59 p.m. EST

Current High Scores as of post #45:

1. 1,763,350 patbb [+23]

2. 966,900 kane [+14]

3. 855,280 M.A.M.E. Offender [+13]

4. 660,450 Deteacher [+12]

5. 336,360 darthkur [+11]

6. 334,850 Fallout_002 [+10]

7. 308,610 Mangia-Boy [+9]

8. 300,520 NIKON [+8]

9. 291,900 asponge [+7]

10. 288,950 JohnnyBlaze [+6]

11. 245,710 Cynicaster [+5]

12. 245,070 bigbee99 [+4]

13. 140,670 BillyHW [+3]

14. 79,780 jblenkle [+2]

Points Leaderboard:

1. patbb [76]

2. kane [75]

3. M.A.M.E. Offender [72]

4. Deteacher [63]

5. bigbee99 [63]

6. Cynicaster [55]

7. hepcat [51]

8. Fallout_002 [46]

9. NIKON [38]

10. asponge [36]

11. darthkur [35]

12. Mangia-Boy [26]

13. JohnnyBlaze [25]

14. kloverz178 [24]

15. Classicgamer_277330 [20]

16. Vocelli [14]

17. roadrunner [14]

18. Jblenkle [13]

19. onmode-ky [11]

20. Beaver On The Wood [9]

21. Wispfollower [8]

22. Liduario [3]

23. BillyHW [3]

24. mr. toast [2]

25. Homerwannabe [2]

26. MisterVCS [1]

Edited by Deteacher

Super Bubble Bobble is very similar to the original.

The same game play, same levels.

The only difference is that the enemies in each levels are different than in the originals.

Example:

post-25394-0-18032400-1361048191_thumb.png

Above Original level 1

post-25394-0-40173200-1361048204_thumb.png

Above Super level 1

Info page:

http://tjasink.com/games/bb/

Special items:

http://tjasink.com/g.../bb/items2.html

Level guide...the ennemies are different in SBB

http://www.adamdawes...uide/index.html

Suggestion for Bonus points: Get to the first secret room AKA diamond room.

http://strategywiki....le/Secret_rooms

We should use the ROM: BUBLBOBR

"Bubble Bobble(US Mode with select)"

The Super Bubble Bobble ROM is exactly the same game, as the original, but with different enemies. But they do not use their special power such as throwing things.

To make sure you are using the right ROM you should see the screen below after pressing player 1 Start. (select Super game by moving the joystick right and then pressing fire)

post-25394-0-82045200-1361112188_thumb.png

Also, the enemies on level 1 throws fire at you!

post-25394-0-13643600-1361112195_thumb.png

We should use the ROM: BUBLBOBR

"Bubble Bobble(US Mode with select)"

The Super Bubble Bobble ROM is exactly the same game, as the original, but with different enemies. But they do not use their special power such as throwing things.

To make sure you are using the right ROM you should see the screen below after pressing player 1 Start. (select Super game by moving the joystick right and then pressing fire)

post-25394-0-82045200-1361112188_thumb.png

Also, the enemies on level 1 throws fire at you!

post-25394-0-13643600-1361112195_thumb.png

Thank you for the clarification. I've never played this version before. The added difficulties will hopefully provide everyone with a lot of challenge. I've added your info to the main post. :)

Cynicaster,

I added your score to the Zoo Keeper leaderboard and then deleted your post in this thread. Just wanted you to know your score has been entered.

Did post that in here? Oops, thanks for catching my mistake. :o

Posted a score for Zoo Keeper a couple hours ago. I thought the week's game ends on Sunday at 12pm?

That's how it was done last season. All games this season have ended when the clock rolls past midnight on Saturday night.

Snow Bros. takes this game concept to perfection.

Agreed!

Posted a score for Zoo Keeper a couple hours ago. I thought the week's game ends on Sunday at 12pm?

I didn't post the end time for Zoo Keeper, but each week has always ended at 12:00 midnight on Sunday. If anyone has objections to me accepting his score, PM me. If I don't hear any objections by tomorrow, I'll accept the score and make the necessary corrections to the table.

Edited by Deteacher

Ah well. I'll remember that for next time. BTW, this was a bootleg game right? Or do I use the regular Bubble Bobble rom? I use Hyperspin and I can't seem to find it.

I also use Hyperspin. Since this is a bootleg, you might have to bypass HS and load your MAME program manually in order to get to the right file. I'm going to fire up my MAME cab right now and try it.

I didn't post the end time for Zoo Keeper, but each week has always ended at 12:00 midnight on Sunday. If anyone has objections to me accepting his score, PM me. If I don't hear any objections by tomorrow, I'll accept the score and make the necessary corrections to the table.

What does "12 midnight on Sunday" mean to you? To me it means late Sunday night, not early Sunday morning. I think this is where the confusion lies.

What does "12 midnight on Sunday" mean to you? To me it means late Sunday night, not early Sunday morning. I think this is where the confusion lies.

If that's the case, 12 midnight on Sunday to me means after 11:59pm on Saturday night. New week, new score. To make it fair, it should be at 12am on Sunday morning Pacific time.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Ok, I'm going to try to clear up this confusion about when a competition week ends. I have always ended the competition at 12:00 am (meaning 12:00 midnight) on Sunday MORNING, Eastern Standard Time in the United States. That means the last second to submit a score is at 11:59:59 on Saturday night, Eastern Standard Time in the United States. I use Eastern Standard Time because I live on the East Coast.

I'm going to accept JohnnyBlazes Zoo Keeper score, due to the misunderstanding, compounded by my forgetting to post a deadline for Zoo Keeper. I will not forget to post deadlines from now on. If someone has an issue with me accepting this score, please inbox me and I'll take it from there.

For future reference, in case I do forget to post a deadline, from now on, all weeks will end at 12:00 am on Sunday Morning, Eastern Standard Time.

Ok, I'm going to try to clear up this confusion about when a competition week ends. I have always ended the competition at 12:00 am (meaning 12:00 midnight) on Sunday MORNING, Eastern Standard Time in the United States. That means the last second to submit a score is at 11:59:59 on Saturday night, Eastern Standard Time in the United States. I use Eastern Standard Time because I live on the East Coast.

I'm going to accept JohnnyBlazes Zoo Keeper score, due to the misunderstanding, compounded by my forgetting to post a deadline for Zoo Keeper. I will not forget to post deadlines from now on. If someone has an issue with me accepting this score, please inbox me and I'll take it from there.

For future reference, in case I do forget to post a deadline, from now on, all weeks will end at 12:00 am on Sunday Morning, Eastern Standard Time.

Sadly, I played my best game ever afterward too. :( When I ran the two HSC's I had a couple years ago I had the cut off as 11:59PM to avoid any confusion. The 2600 HSC is currently adding to the confusion by stating the cutoff as midnight on each Sunday, the 17th with this past one, but actually ends at 12am of the following Monday.

Sadly, I played my best game ever afterward too. :( When I ran the two HSC's I had a couple years ago I had the cut off as 11:59PM to avoid any confusion. The 2600 HSC is currently adding to the confusion by stating the cutoff as midnight on each Sunday, the 17th with this past one, but actually ends at 12am of the following Monday.

Ok, I've accepted your score as well, darthkur. All that did was add a point to your score and deduct one from mine.

I didn't realize there would be so much confusion with regard to the deadlines, so here it is. I changed the deadline from 12:00 midnight on Sundays to 11:59 pm on Saturdays. The new game will start at 12:00 midnight on Sunday (1 minute after the Saturday night deadline.) I've made the change in the first post to reflect this, so please take note. From this point on, there will be no late submissions accepted. And for the future, know that this rule will be in effect for all weekly contests. All times are Eastern Standard Time (East Coast in the United States.) If you do not live in my time zone, you will have to figure out what that means for your particular time zone.

Ok, I've accepted your score as well, darthkur. All that did was add a point to your score and deduct one from mine.

I didn't realize there would be so much confusion with regard to the deadlines, so here it is. I changed the deadline from 12:00 midnight on Sundays to 11:59 pm on Saturdays. The new game will start at 12:00 midnight on Sunday (1 minute after the Saturday night deadline.) I've made the change in the first post to reflect this, so please take note. From this point on, there will be no late submissions accepted. And for the future, know that this rule will be in effect for all weekly contests. All times are Eastern Standard Time (East Coast in the United States.) If you do not live in my time zone, you will have to figure out what that means for your particular time zone.

That sounds perfect and thanks a lot for accepting my final game for Zoo Keeper. :thumbsup:

Edited by darthkur