IGNORED

What I have been doing (Q1 2013)

opcode

So, in addition to work to get the SGM out of the door until early next month, I have also been working on a few other projects. By posting about them here I can feel a little more pressed to finish things on schedule.

First I am planing to have the new Super Game Cartridge done by the end of March.

Goonies is going beta next week. Fun games, love it. Similar in concept to the NES game, but different enough that even veteran NES Goonies player should have a blast playing. And the game is huge. A password system should help you guys to finish it in multiple play sessions though.

I have two more MSX ports planned for March, Knightmare, the super cult MSX shooter, and an undisclosed game that I am sure CV and retro game fans alike are going to appreciate.

Look for those SGM games later this year from Team Pixelboy.

Then I have an arcade game starring a certain sailor man about 30% disassembled and commented. 2014 is going to be the year of "P" games. :)

• Like 4

I have two more MSX ports planned for March, Knightmare, the super cult MSX shooter, and an undisclosed game that I am sure CV and retro game fans alike are going to appreciate.

Is this undisclosed game something you and I have talked about recently, or is this meant to be a surprise for me too? :)

Look for those SGM games later this year from Team Pixelboy.

"Later this year" means next Christmas, by the way, just in case anyone is getting his/her hopes up of seing my next batch of games released earlier than that in 2013.

2014 is going to be the year of "P" games. :)

Yeah, "P" like Spelunker. ;)

Eduardo,

Can Super Game Cartridge support save game vs. password system for Goonies? Game would save your password in a memory slot? Then have like 3 memory save slots.

I've already ordered the lot of MegaCart PCBs for Goonies (along with all the MegaCart PCBs I'll need for all my releases over the next two years) so it's unlikely that I'll be using the Super Game Cartridge for that particular game. But I'm not closing the door to that possibility, mind you.

But while we're on the subject, I'd like Stone of Wisdom to use the Super Game Cartridge, and I hope Eduardo will agree to it. :)

I've already ordered the lot of MegaCart PCBs for Goonies (along with all the MegaCart PCBs I'll need for all my releases over the next two years) so it's unlikely that I'll be using the Super Game Cartridge for that particular game. But I'm not closing the door to that possibility, mind you.

But while we're on the subject, I'd like Stone of Wisdom to use the Super Game Cartridge, and I hope Eduardo will agree to it. :)

Wouldn't Goonies have to be on the Super Game Cart if Eduardo is programming it that way or does he do a check beforehand to notice it is not on super game cart and then the game still works?

Wouldn't Goonies have to be on the Super Game Cart if Eduardo is programming it that way or does he do a check beforehand to notice it is not on super game cart and then the game still works?

Uh... what? :? Either you use a MegaCart PCB or you use a Super Game Cartridge PCB. I don't see the point of programming the game so it works on both PCBs. You choose one and you stick with it.

The current WIP version of Goonies already works on the MegaCart, and the password system just needs to be ajusted to use keypad numbers instead of MSX keyboard keys. Not terribly complicated to do.

Uh... what? :? Either you use a MegaCart PCB or you use a Super Game Cartridge PCB. I don't see the point of programming the game so it works on both PCBs. You choose one and you stick with it.

The current WIP version of Goonies already works on the MegaCart, and the password system just needs to be ajusted to use keypad numbers instead of MSX keyboard keys. Not terribly complicated to do.

Maybe I just don't realize what the password system is. I thought it was a way to save the game and I believe you would only be able to do that on his super game carts but maybe the password system is just real time saving and not actually saving for later when you come back?

Maybe I just don't realize what the password system is. I thought it was a way to save the game and I believe you would only be able to do that on his super game carts but maybe the password system is just real time saving and not actually saving for later when you come back?

Okay, once again... What? :?

I don't understand your "real-time saving" comment. A password is a string of characters (in this case numbers) that is displayed on the screen after you finish a level. You're supposed to note it down, and later enter this password (with the keypad) at the title screen or in a sub-screen accessible from the title screen, and you skip ahead to the following level instead of starting at level 1.

Okay, once again... What? :?

I don't understand your "real-time saving" comment. A password is a string of characters (in this case numbers) that is displayed on the screen after you finish a level. You're supposed to note it down, and later enter this password (with the keypad) at the title screen or in a sub-screen accessible from the title screen, and you skip ahead to the following level instead of starting at level 1.

Ah, got it! I was not event close :dunce: I thought it was some kind of game saving thing not something you had to keep track of and use to skip levels.

I am back in the game.

And I just finished Goonies... [8 years in the making, as old as the SGM itself] ... :)

I should have two more surprise games ported by the end of next week. Popeye Arcade is also progressing nicely.

Edited by opcode
  • Like 1

Surprises could be hard on my wallet...any estimated release dates for Goonies, ??? and ??? ?

Goonies is up to Pixelboy.

As for the other two, that will depend. If there is a publisher interested then it would be up to them, otherwise I have a plan B.

• Like 2

Pixelboy said with all the craziness of offering his old releases that any new games have been moved to a christmas release again instead of the quarterly release he was going to attempt this year.

Right. I wish events could have unfolded otherwise, but that's the way the dice landed.

is one the ports Archon 2 Adept? :)

I think its Pengo, right?

Pengo will likely be an Opcode Games release, once it's done. :)

is one a port of Archon 2 Adept? :)

I think its Pengo, right?

No, it isn't Pengo, though the arcade port should be coming next year.

I am porting two MSX games which in turn are arcade ports, and two pretty good ones actually. Enough to say both are frequently requested games.

Nice. :) And both will require the SGM, I suppose?

Yes, they will. In fact, a just checking something here... One of them is probably as good as it can get on the CV. The other can use a few small improvements so I plan to do that.

The good isn't available on any other 8-bit platform but the MSX. The other is available for both MSX and Famicom (Japan only), so still a great option to have on the CV. As I said, frequently requested games.

Yes, they will. In fact, a just checking something here... One of them is probably as good as it can get on the CV. The other can use a few small improvements so I plan to do that.

The good isn't available on any other 8-bit platform but the MSX. The other is available for both MSX and Famicom (Japan only), so still a great option to have on the CV. As I said, frequently requested games.

I'm loving these tantalizing clues. :D If I had the time tonight, I'd go over generation-msx.nl and make a list of likely suspects. ;)