IGNORED

New homebrew called "Rocketeer"

GroovyBee

Right on! You tell them.. ;)

And i would be doing the box if this was not a cart only release.

But i have been doing the game art for Mr Bee for a few projects now. If a box art gets done by me sometime down the road you get a box as long a Mr Bee approves it. If he does not want a box, cool! No skin of my nose. A box is not near either of our radars for the time being if ever, lots of good stuff going on. And real life and work is something we do too. :-D

I can say for myself im glad ppl are passionate about the boxes. I know I am but its not going to make one appear the more you mention it. When or if it happens, it happens...or not.

So dont worry about it anymore please. If one gets released in real or digital form I am pretty sure you will hear about it, and then you can get one. Or if you are really bored, make your own like i did for years. Its fun and then you will see how much work can really go into making real game boxes...cutting them...ugggh...cutting.. them. :mad:

I do have a couple of rough sketches somewhere for ideas for the cover which I think would be pretty cool but they were more of a Hype thing for myself to get my head in the "mood" of the game. Just like mentioned by Jason afew post ago. Box art on old games back in the day was the naked women posters of my teen years. It was the story behind the crappy grafx of the game that made it real. If I get around to it I will dig the sketches out for you guys and post them. Nothing amazing art wise just afew quick sketches just to flesh out. If there was a official box the art would be done...more proof that its not a priority! ;)

Edited by nonner242
  • Like 3

Every person has his own preferences.

Some people hate Intellivision! :-o What a world we live in!

In general people will love Intellivision. But even here there are a lot of different views.

When talking about Rocketeer and GoovyBee, I only can thank him for the great release.

It's his game and I'm sure I'm going to love it (even without overlays, which always are great)

I really don't want to annoy GroovyBee with this.

And talking seriously, I think he fully understands how much we appreciate his work.

And he understands how passionate we are for anything Intv related.

Finally, I want to give my 2 cents on all these plastic addons talk. Here I'm not talking about Rocketeer, I'm talking in general.

Here there are two big sides:

1) people who loves the games and gameplay and no plastic, original hardware is needed.

For these, emulation is a fantastic, awesome, complete gaming experience. It's also cheap, available everywhere, let you choose your controller etc...

2) people who likes to play in original hardware.

These two gaming preferences are the most important.

I think it's difficult to be in the second group and totally dislike box, manuals, overlays etc.

When you already gave up many advantages of emulation, you're probably going to love all things that normally come from playing on the real thing.

But, once again, what a strange world we live in! This very person who's writting this doesn't collect boxes for the 125 games! :-o

Not that I don't like boxes, but money talks in this case :).

At the end, I think the more games we have the happier we're going to be :).

Just one more thing, now to GroovyBee: you said you could release the game in a classic baggy style. Could you make mine a bit bigger so I could put inside a custom ... ... you know... :-D

Let us not forget the passion we all share for the home brew games and while David, Joe, and William have done a briliant job of replicating the original nostalgia of thier game releases with box, manual and overlays, aka - CIB, Groovy Bee is also releasing his game as CIB - complete in bag! :grin:

No software updates for a couple of days because.... its hardware time! This is the version 1 prototype of my Inty game cartridge :-

post-21935-0-12289600-1366307652_thumb.jpg

Don't worry, the tall chip sockets (big black boxes) are just so that I can reprogram the flash and CPLD easily for debugging purposes and won't be there on the final version.

The technical people will have noticed that there is only one 8 bit wide flash chip but the Inty multiplexed address/data bus is 16 bits so needs two! :o Where is the other? Its not a mistake because the CPLD has a VHDL state machine which acts as a funnel and makes two reads of the flash in time to pass the data to the CP1610.

Cmart and Rev will be testing the new PCB on a selection of their machines because I only have a couple of Intys and any new cart PCB needs a good workout on all kinds of machines.

I have both good and bad news. The good news is that the PCB outline fits the three Mattel cart shell variants that I have and the edge connector closely matches the original Mattel one too. The overall PCB footprint is within the tolerances of the plastic so I'll be happy to go forward with a multi-cart design using it as well.

Now for the bad news. I made a mistake on the PCB footprint when accommodating the shell's screw pillars so the PCB is far too loose in the shell. This will be corrected in the next version. However, it does mean that the May shipping date for Rocketeer is not going to be possible now.

My plan was to sign the PCB and VHDL off, get a batch of PCBs in and then build them up by hand to ship towards the end of May. To correct the PCB mistake I need to redo the PCB and get a new version made to make sure it fits in the shell correctly before placing a bulk order for them. This will add at least 3 weeks to the time line so shipping would start in late June. My new plan is to have a bulk lot of PCBs made to accommodate a run of Rocketer, KillBotz! and the AC2013 fastest time contest and get them all machine populated which will save me taking time out to build them. The bulk order will be placed as soon as I've signed off the next PCB revision so it will only impact Rocketeer.

I could workaround the issue by hot melt gluing the cart PCB to the shell but to me that is not the right way and I'd rather do it correctly.

Apologies for the teething troubles on getting going in the Inty homebrew scene. If anybody wants to cancel their Rocketeer order due to the delay please let me know.

• Like 7

No software updates for a couple of days because.... its hardware time! This is the version 1 prototype of my Inty game cartridge :-

post-21935-0-12289600-1366307652_thumb.jpg

The technical people will have noticed that there is only one 8 bit wide flash chip but the Inty multiplexed address/data bus is 16 bits so needs two! :o Where is the other? Its not a mistake because the CPLD has a VHDL state machine which acts as a funnel and makes two reads of the flash in time to pass the data to the CP1610.

Good thing that you explained that ... I was about to call you out on the multiplexed CPLD thingy problem :ponder:.

No worries on the delay here ... just looking forward to a wonderful, finished product.

• Like 1

It would ne stupid to cancel the order. Now or never, thats the way to buy homebrews and also if it sounds like a long delay, everyone has to keep in mind that its a homebrew, so there is a man in his freetime creating a game for our Intellivision. Unexpected things can happen and also big studios get often in trouble about there release dates (everyone heard something about "The Last Guardian" or "Final Fantasy vs. XIII" ? :lol:)

Like SoulBuster said: Take the time you need and everything is right. The only thing I expect is to get informed about complications and delays and you do so, so everything is fine for me ;)

• Like 1

Thanks for the update Groovy, no worries on the delivery date, we're all happy to get this whenever it's ready.

Rev and I are looking forward to testing on all the different versions and also getting a head start on the high score contest and winning the limited edition CIB versions! ;) (To be clear, I made that up, plus tragically, Rev and I both suck at most INTV games, although he sucks more than me.)

• Like 1

delay??? you probably will still smash all homebrew release records from concept to release. you are one insane programmer. and new boards as well?? btw i absolutely love the old school sst chip look. brings me ALL the way back to 2003... so what is the rarity of that proto board in the future?? ;)

Edited by pimpmaul69
  • Like 1

The VHDL is done but needs debugging in the simulator. In order to write good VHDL I have to be "in the zone" otherwise I end up using too many of the CPLD's finite resources (from that you could say that there have been a fair few rewrites tonight :lol:). The CPLD device utilisation is looking good with plenty of product terms, macro cells and registers free. They'll probably get used up when I come to implement the features needed to help program the blank PCBs.

Hopefully simulation will be complete over the weekend and then I can try it out on the real hardware.