IGNORED

New homebrew called "Rocketeer"

GroovyBee

The proto Rev3 PCBs arrived this morning :-

post-21935-0-28354800-1382194064_thumb.jpgpost-21935-0-84612400-1382194074_thumb.jpg

They fit the Mattel shell perfectly (no surprise given that its the same PCB outline as both the Rev2 and the next version of my multi-cart).

Hopefully by next weekend there will be a video of Rocketeer running from it.

• Like 4

The proto Rev3 PCBs arrived this morning :-

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif Rev3InAMattelShell_1.jpg{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif Rev3InAMattelShell_2.jpg

They fit the Mattel shell perfectly (no surprise given that its the same PCB outline as both the Rev2 and the next version of my multi-cart).

Hopefully by next weekend there will be a video of Rocketeer running from it.

Looks very slick!

Are you going to be re-using old carts, or do you have plans on having new shells molded to match the old design?

• Like 1

Looks very slick!

The final version will have a solder mask so it'll be considerably less shiny. I don't normally get protos done with a solder mask because its a pain if you need to cut and strap wires.

Are you going to be re-using old carts, or do you have plans on having new shells molded to match the old design?

I have amassed quite a few Mattel shells so I'll be using them for Rocketeer and Mars Minis. I'm sure there are plenty of Poker carts left in the world to gut for homebrews ;).

The final version will have a solder mask so it'll be considerably less shiny. I don't normally get protos done with a solder mask because its a pain if you need to cut and strap wires.

I have amassed quite a few Mattel shells so I'll be using them for Rocketeer and Mars Minis. I'm sure there are plenty of Poker carts left in the world to gut for homebrews ;).

I have this vision of a future where Poker carts with the actual LV Blackjack & Poker game in them are in increasingly short supply, and sell for thousands of dollars on e-Bay. :lol:

• Like 1

Can I just make a suggestion? Could we possibly create a new thread for discussion of this? When I see new posts here, I keep coming back for updates and info on Rocketeer. But now I never know when to expect further discussion about Rocketeer, because none of the new posts are ever about Rocketeer anymore.

Can I just make a suggestion? Could we possibly create a new thread for discussion of this? When I see new posts here, I keep coming back for updates and info on Rocketeer. But now I never know when to expect further discussion about Rocketeer, because none of the new posts are ever about Rocketeer anymore.

Read post 955 from Groovy Bee. This PCB is the one that will be used for Rocketeer. That makes this discussion a relevant update on the status of Rocketeer.

Edited by JasonlikesINTV
  • Like 3

The PCB images I posted were mentioned in the last Rocketeer update.

That thing looks huge, are you sure it will fit?

(That in no way was a joke setup for anyone)

It looks like it will be a tight fit.....

He has the chips socketed, I'm sure once he has it all debugged, the final version the chips will be soldered directly to the board and it will be normal size.

• Like 1

He has the chips socketed, I'm sure once he has it all debugged, the final version the chips will be soldered directly to the board and it will be normal size.

Yep! For easier debugging its all socketed. There is even a socket on the back (that you can't see) to make it easier to connect up the logic analyser. All components will be soldered directly to the PCB in the final shipping versions.