IGNORED

New homebrew called "Rocketeer"

GroovyBee

Meanwhile... back on topic ;). The latest changes are :-

- The baddie respawn time is now instant after its death animation sequence has completed. That way there are always 5 baddies on the go.

- Modified the baddie entry position to be random on each side of the screen after a respawn occurs. This behaviour might change depending on the yet to introduced baddie flight/attack patterns.

- Fixed a bug where writes to GRAM occurred out of the STIC access time window in VBLANK while setting the game up from the title screen. I hadn't picked up on that before because I haven't used all the GRAM cards yet so there were no visual clues during normal game play.

- Optimised the laser shot code to use a single routine to handle both left and right shots. The new code also means that laser shots don't alter their Y coordinate when they wrap at the left or right edges of the screen.

I've been play testing to assess the balance of the game and it definitely needs a laser overheat or some such play mechanic. Its all too easy to pick a spot and camp out there to blow the baddies away. I'll look at adding that after the teaser ROM is ready.

The sprites all use sub pixel positioning and the final version will need to detect PAL/NTSC and adjust itself accordingly. After playing in jzintv it just feels too slow on a real PAL machine. I doubt this change will be in the teaser ROM release either.

Groovy, the latest versions of jzIntv let you simulate a PAL machine using the "--pal" option. Also, keep in mind that VBLANK timing is not exact in PAL emulation, so you still need to test in hardware (this was the source of a nasty bug detected in the production version of Christmas Carol).

• Like 1

Groovy, the latest versions of jzIntv let you simulate a PAL machine using the "--pal" option. Also, keep in mind that VBLANK timing is not exact in PAL emulation, so you still need to test in hardware (this was the source of a nasty bug detected in the production version of Christmas Carol).

Thanks for the tip. I haven't followed the development of jzintv lately. I test on my PAL machine using my CC3 so I know it works on that. At some point I'd like to get hold of an NTSC machine just to give me piece of mind.

Thanks for the tip. I haven't followed the development of jzintv lately. I test on my PAL machine using my CC3 so I know it works on that. At some point I'd like to get hold of an NTSC machine just to give me piece of mind.

LOL! I had the same problem, but in reverse. I finally got a hold of a PAL machine to test, but only after a nasty bug was discovered in production, and I had to scramble to get it.

Good luck. :)

-dZ.

Who let the code talking nerds in here.......lol, just kidding!

I actually enjoy reading the progress of how the game is programmed. Its interesting.

crazy question groovy, when this game is done can you talk to ed fries to see if you can port over halo? That would be a huge seller!

Who let the code talking nerds in here.......lol, just kidding!

Oi! Without us "nerds" you'd have no news for your site :P.

I actually enjoy reading the progress of how the game is programmed. Its interesting.

Some dev stuff is interesting to talk about. Some is so boring that after you've done it you don't want to talk about it at all.

crazy question groovy, when this game is done can you talk to ed fries to see if you can port over halo? That would be a huge seller!

I have a few new games for Inty mapped out (as well as the ones I already announced) so I won't have the time.

LOL! I had the same problem, but in reverse. I finally got a hold of a PAL machine to test, but only after a nasty bug was discovered in production, and I had to scramble to get it.

NTSC is good for testing because of the reduced number of CPU cycles available to compute "stuff" per frame.

Oi! Without us "nerds" you'd have no news for your site :P.

Some dev stuff is interesting to talk about. Some is so boring that after you've done it you don't want to talk about it at all.

I have a few new games for Inty mapped out (as well as the ones I already announced) so I won't have the time.

I would have some news if it werent for the homebrews, if there was no homebrews though, i would post more stories about variations or collections ir who knows what. I can turn anything into a news post! Lol

• Like 1

I don't need no box I'm a free man! ;)

Sorry to dash any hopes but there will be no box for this game.

Well, at least no official box that is....... ;-)

What I'm hearing is that there might be a box and overlays :D I'm sure pboland would gladly do the overlays and boxes are a piece of cake, right? I put aside a little cash just in case :grin:

What I'm hearing is that there might be a box and overlays :D I'm sure pboland would gladly do the overlays and boxes are a piece of cake, right? I put aside a little cash just in case :grin:

And Groovy discovers what he already knew in his heart.....man these INTV guys are a pain in the ass! :D What's the over/under on how many times we'll ask different ways if this can be made CIB because we're collecting freaks. Although in our defense, the only homebrew ever released without a CIB option to date is D1K, and that will be rectified in a month or two. :-D

^Be sure to sacrifice the slow-ROM version of Armor Battle! I've scientifically determined that to be the cart most deserving of sacrifice for homebrew shells. :)

:-D Unless it's a heavy shielded cart in which case I don't let those out of my sight. Believe it or not I'll be on the lookout for cheap loose cart lots as I only have maybe a hundred or so. Anyone else with a bunch of loose commons they're willing to give up for the greater good? :-D

:-D Unless it's a heavy shielded cart in which case I don't let those out of my sight. Believe it or not I'll be on the lookout for cheap loose cart lots as I only have maybe a hundred or so. Anyone else with a bunch of loose commons they're willing to give up for the greater good? :-D

I have some heavy shielded pcb's , whats so special about them?