IGNORED

Wizard of Wor 2: The Arena

CDS Games

Found some of my CBS dupes tonight. :)

cbs_carts.jpg

If anyone has extra CBS dupes they want to sell/trade me, please send me a PM! :D

..Al

I will ship you a Wizard of Wor cart free to have this game in a Wizard of Wor cart shell!

This will cause a demand for AtariVox+, are they close to being sold in your store?

And get some USB to AtariVox+ to developers so someone can help me actually finish all these speech strings! Please?

USB to AtariVox+ isn't just for developers, you can use a real AtariVox+ to connect to Stella for speech in emulation.

If AtariVox+ is close to returning to your store, I'll split my time between DK Arcade 2600 and Wizard of Wor and we can get this out next year.

• Like 1

I will ship you a Wizard of Wor cart free to have this game in a Wizard of Wor cart shell!

This will cause a demand for AtariVox+, are they close to being sold in your store?

And get some USB to AtariVox+ to developers so someone can help me actually finish all these speech strings! Please?

USB to AtariVox+ isn't just for developers, you can use a real AtariVox+ to connect to Stella for speech in emulation.

If AtariVox+ is close to returning to your store, I'll split my time between DK Arcade 2600 and Wizard of Wor and we can get this out next year.

Yes, the AtariVox+ is close! Boards are ready, I have AtariVox+ shells, and I'm working on getting some extension cables. We're going to update the labels and manuals to reflect the changes in the AtariVox+, and that should happen in a month or two. By the time the manual and labels are finished, I should have finished AtariVox+ units ready to ship. :)

..Al

• Like 1

iesposta, is the learning curve too steep on this for a beginner to jump in and help you with speech strings? Do you need specialized equipment besides the AtariVox to USB? I have zero experience with the thing but I'd love to help out.

iesposta, is the learning curve too steep on this for a beginner to jump in and help you with speech strings? Do you need specialized equipment besides the AtariVox to USB? I have zero experience with the thing but I'd love to help out.

I didn't find it too hard.

You need to listen to each sentence.

Then click the word parts, or phenomes, that match what you hear.

Before the sentence you choose a "note" since voice parts can be very low to very high.

For instance, the voice says Wee-zard instead of Wizz-ard, so you would click the w sound, then an eey sound (instead of an eh sound).

If the sounds go higher or lower you click the higher or lower "note", and you can set pauses and emphasis or inflections to match the arcade game's sound.

If you look at the text files I've posted, you can see the parts.

They are all in grid blocks separated and grouped by speech parameters like vowel sounds.

Basically it is just a USB to TLL adapter (Not RS-232). Very cheap. And a few pins to the AtariVox+ (power, ground, receive). It's just that it is nice to have a joystick cable-like plug

• 4 weeks later...

I continue to acquire CBS carts at a very slow pace and am definitely aiming to release a limited run of the hack on CBS carts. Not sure what "limited" is just yet, that'll depend on how many CBS carts I can get my hands on. :D If you have some you'd like to sell me (or trade me for store credit), please send me a PM! Thanks!

..Al

• Like 1

I continue to acquire CBS carts at a very slow pace and am definitely aiming to release a limited run of the hack on CBS carts. Not sure what "limited" is just yet, that'll depend on how many CBS carts I can get my hands on. :D If you have some you'd like to sell me (or trade me for store credit), please send me a PM! Thanks!

..Al

I thought I had a few somewhere , what is a minimum amount that you would want being shipped to you ?

I continue to acquire CBS carts at a very slow pace and am definitely aiming to release a limited run of the hack on CBS carts. Not sure what "limited" is just yet, that'll depend on how many CBS carts I can get my hands on. :D

Fantastic newsl!! I guess everything is looking good with the boards and labels?

I thought I had a few somewhere , what is a minimum amount that you would want being shipped to you ?

No minimum, really, since I'll probably only acquire these a small number at a time. Although five is certainly better than one, since that helps reduce the per-cart shipping costs. However, I'm happy to get even one or two at a time in a bubble or manilla envelope via First Class Mail.

..Al

Trying to remember without going through all 9 pages. How is the speech going to work, again? My version still needs a joystick in port 2, but that's where the AtariVox needs to be.

You can start a one-player game that uses the left stick, leaving the right to play speech with AtariVox+.

Single player using the right joystick, and 2-player games will not have speech.

Sorry, my last reply was still a bit unclear.

Press Select until it shows one player on the bottom left, then it will use AtariVox plugged into joystick port 2.

I figured that out from your reply. But I did not hear any speech. I checked my Harmony and I don't have the latest version downloaded.

I figured that out from your reply. But I did not hear any speech. I checked my Harmony and I don't have the latest version downloaded.

I just tried the rom from post 161.

It talks for me.

AtariVox+ in Joystick port 2, player 1 blue with left controller.

Little round rechargeable speaker plugged into the Vox headphone jack?

Is your AtariVox turning on and saying just AtariVox? (Not Vec Voice activated and not VecVox activated.)

I don't know how big the speakjet chipset (from AtariVox) is, but wouldn't it be cool to have a limited run of carts with the chipset inside and a headphone jack built in so that you could play 2 player with speech? Of course it would be a little more expensive but it would be cool in a limited quantity.

I don't know how big the speakjet chipset (from AtariVox) is, but wouldn't it be cool to have a limited run of carts with the chipset inside and a headphone jack built in so that you could play 2 player with speech? Of course it would be a little more expensive but it would be cool in a limited quantity.

You mean a cartridge with the AtariVox in the cartridge?

It probably can be done, but not without a lot of trickery, and add too much cost to each cart.

The 2600 cart connector doesn't have input/output like the joystick ports.

Even to read extra cart ram or bankswitch it is done without input/output. I am greatly simplifying things saying that, of course.

To talk, the joystick port is changed to output data to the Vox.

A pass through Vox could be designed that handled switching of data output to the Vox and data input from a joystick. But new games would probably have to be programmed to use it.

Yes the speech is just a continuous demo at this point.

I still need to make more sentences!!!

I had forgotten how good it really sounds.

Made myself laugh as I had forgotten the one about, "hurt my babies and I'll pop you in the oven, ha, ha, ha, ha" :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I wonder if the new Stella and the new OS X behave correctly with the AtariVox+ now?

I wonder if SpiceWare has written a tool for OS X to make speech strings yet that he planned to write?

It's quite flakey running it from VMWare under Windows 7 on OS X, however Stella talks to the Vox+ perfectly under Windows in VMWare.

I wonder if SpiceWare has written a tool for OS X to make speech strings yet that he planned to write?

Nope. Past couple of months were very busy with family and friends.

I've been thinking about hashing out a new bus-stuffing format, like we did to make DPC+, then rebooting Draconian to use it. It'll let me use the ball to draw shots, in order to reduce flicker on something that's critical for the player to see, while still using the ball to draw the parallax starfield. It'd also let the ships diagonal shots actually be diagonal (by using using HMOVEs to shift the missile/ball object). In the current kernel only the player objects can be HMOVE shifted.