IGNORED

Wizard of Wor 2: The Arena

CDS Games

Anyone care to create some AtariVOX data strings? Moving the score where it is supposed to be saved some ram...and splitting up PF0, PF1, and PF2 data into seperate pages eliminates the three (indirect),Y pointers (a single index byte is enough to handle all 3 PF registers...since there's only 24 mazes). I can add the driver and subroutine calls to the hack, but I've got no way of testing the speech data.

Plenty of free space to include all of the arcade game taunts, I think.

I would like to do this.

I have the original AtariVox.

I'll try to get the USB developer adapter for Stella testing...

I would like to do this.

I have the original AtariVox.

I'll try to get the USB developer adapter for Stella testing...

Thanks iesposta! Question on that actually...can AtariVox run on an original 2600 cart? Does it involve a special chip/hardware?

It is hardware that plugs into the right joystick connector. Then you plug a speaker into it. It has a speech chip (speech, music, sound effects) and an EEPROM for saving scores & data. The downside is that 2 players can't play at the same time.

That's something that always confused me about it. Why can't you just read the sticks and save to a temp, reconfigure the port to send (write) and get data to VOX (on a wye cable with the stick), then rewrite the original value from the temp and reconfigure the port to read-only?

But anyway, yeah...the voice would only function in a single-player game otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...

AtariVOX support added to 1 of 4 game variations (i.e. when playing the left player only). Testing here: does the sample "fire" speech work when shooting on that variation?

BTW the other 2-player variation following that one is for co-op games: players are immune to each others' shots.

Add'l functions...

Left difficulty "B" makes the wizard teleport less often, and the B&W switch pauses the game (7800-compatable).

WoW8k-test.bin

• Like 1

AtariVOX support added to 1 of 4 game variations (i.e. when playing the left player only). Testing here: does the sample "fire" speech work when shooting on that variation?.

No. When starting a game it makes a bunch of sounds and part words, then it is quiet.

It doesn't say fire.

The screen jumps and rolls badly on the LCD with s-video. Only thing tried so far.

Looks great though, you have added so much!

I got my AtariVox so I can help make speech!

• 3 weeks later...

It's been fixed, I think. The stack was corrupting some pointers (incl. the speech pointer). There's currently a little over 1 page of romspace free for data. All the sprite shapes are seperated in their own tables (no longer 2 frames mixed together), and all of them use single-line resolution for more detail (sprites still need to be altered to show off that).

WoW8k-test.bin

BTW the right difficulty switch awards extra players following every PIT dungeon when in (B) position. Left difficulty still handles the Wizard's teleport handicap. There were some free bits in game select, so you'll see the option to start with 3, 5, or 7 worriors (this is displayed as the box timer when starting...only 3 reserve lives can be shown, but you can accumulate up to 255 in right-B difficulty).

It still rolls on real hardware. Did you start out with PAL? (kidding)

Pause stops the roll. It rolls on the title screen also.

It is using the AtariVox. I was playing the yellow before which is wrong, so it probably did speak before.

Now I hear you've used the gunshot effect.

I may try to make some sprites. What is the height and how many are in the animation?

No need to do sprites (unless Claudio requests help there), I only need speech data which neither of us can do. But the sprite shapes are layed out in memory exactly how they appear onscreen (although upside-down)...16 bytes high. Everything uses 2 frames of animation (via flipping to an adjacent page). An enemy dying uses bytes $FC00-$FC0F for it's first frame, and $FD00-$FD0F for the next (for example).

Do screen rolls only happen when VOX is used (i.e. playing the left player only)? Or any time pause is not active? Emulation is showing a steady 262...so I don't know how it is happening.

Okay this is a first for me. It only rolls on my six switch batari S video mod on a 42 inch LCD screen.

I just tried it on the Sunnyvale heavy Sixer on the 27 inch tube TV without vecvox and it was perfect and also on my 7800 s video mod on my projector. Apart from The projector deinterlacing, it's solid.

As I said, it's a first. I've never seen screen roll on a LCD.

That's odd. The invisible monster check loop was never altered from the original game - it uses a little over 200 cycles, so they stuck it in VSYNC...so I never bothered to double-check it. But taking it out proved that it was using more than that somehow.

Romspace saved, missing scanline put back in 8)

Wow8k-test.bin

Edited by Nukey Shay