IGNORED

Cave shooting collection

cimerians

http://www.destructoid.com/cave-shooting-collection-heading-to-xbox-360-this-march-246864.phtml

$300??

I cant remember is the Xbox 360 region free or does it depend on the discs as the guy says?

Still...not sure if I would fork over this much money but this seems like the holy grail collection of Cave shooters.

The 360 is region locked, but a number of the Cave releases were region free. It's too early in the morning for me to think of a list, but if you hit shmups.com it's a topic that's been rehashed a number of times.

I wish they would officially announce whether or not Guwange is a DLC code or a disk release. If it's a disk release, I'm in. Otherwise, I'll stick with my separate releases.

It all depends on the disc. There's no system wide mandate that a 360 disc has to be region locked.

And the region the disc originates from also sometimes matters since I believe there are many instances of a game being region free in one territory but not the next. I've heard of a good number of region free release's in Asian for instance including big name title's that are available at any videogame retailer in the West (So not just niche releases that a publisher doesn't see bringing over here directly but want's to be able to sell to those of us willing to import releases).

Having games work in more than one region is just another way for Microsoft to get money out of publishers. Publishers won't talk about it but while I was on the Eutechnytx game forum I suggested this was the reason NASCAR The Game: Inside Line was region free on the PS3 but not the Xbox 360. This essentially started a rumor and it was one that Eutechnyx never shot down. They were quick to shoot down untrue rumors. For this reason I'll be surprised if this collection is released region free. It won't be worth it for such a limited overseas market.

Hopefully Guwange isn't a "disc release" the way all the NAMCO Museum XBLA titles were on the disc.

Are there any region locked PS3 games?

As far as I know, region locking is primarily done for two reasons. Reason 1 is so there doesn't have to be pricing parity between regions since if your game is locked, it can't just simply be imported from elsewhere at a cheaper price. Reason 2 is to protect the revenue a publisher can expect to earn from a specific title in a specific region.

X-Seed for an example probably would've been far less likely to license and release Pandora's Tower for the Wii next month in North America if those interested in the game could've simply just logged online and bought a UK copy published by Nintendo of Europe and played it without any issue on their Wii. Of course a fair number did and circumvented region locking through the thanks of the homebrew community, but most potential buyers were kept away gauranteeing that the majority of North American purchases of the game will be of the X-Seed published release. The same with Nintendo of America and Xenoblades and so on.

I would think a Japanese release unlikely to make it out over here but of some interest to a small niche of North American customer's (And import friendly... unlike say a Japanese RPG with no English language option) would be a prime candidate to be kept region free. There's only additional sales to be gained rather than an incentive to keep people away from importing the Japanese release now instead of purchasing a domestic release later on from a company like X-Seed.

I imagine it's safe to assume a domestic release is unlikely here. So if region locking is implimented, I imagine it's to encourage American customers to purchase the standalone domestic releases for the games that are available here and to protect the chances for any that haven't yet made it out.

Edited by Atariboy

Are there any region locked PS3 games?

Not that I know of, all are region free per my knowledge. I picked up Demon Souls and a few UK releases years ago on the PS3 from places like Play Asia and Amazon UK.

I was thinking about some Xbox regional games like this collection and I was never really sure about the Xbox.