IGNORED

Apple I production numbers

jhd

I am currently reading the new biography of Steve Jobs, and I have a question about the Apple I: How many were produced?

The biography suggests that 100 were made -- 50 on contract for the Byte Shop and another 50 sold directly by Jobs, Wozniak, etc.

Wikipedia states "About 200 units were produced", but does not cite a source.

I do own Apple Confidential, but my copy is packed away in storage somewhere so I cannot check it.

Is there a definitive answer?

Edited by jhd

• 1 month later...

Off the "Top of My Head", I think it was 200..

Looking in iWoz, the Byte Shop placed an order for 100, and the beginning of Chap 13, Woz states "By Early 1976, we had sold maybe 150 computers"

Hackers, by Steven Levy IIRC has similar Information, but I have not located it yet...

Thanks much.

I also have the Steven Levy book, but it too is in storage. Hopefully my local library has a copy.

I spent a few minutes looking in Hackers, but it's a big BOOK.. iWoz I have on Kindle, so it was Search-able.. ;)

For classic Computer Information, I also have "Out of the Inner Circle: A Hacker's Guide to Computer Security" and "Bit-by-Bit:An Illustrated History of Computers [Paperback]"

I highly recommend ALL Four of these books....