IGNORED

New challenge...

No words because pictures explains for them...

If we don't have or we have then we have what we have... So if is this then here we go...

This is not anything 'out of this world' but interesting because it can be A8 because it's on horizontal scanlines then A8 DLIs.

I really don't remember we had true games based in just gfxs/PFs and then all the the other done by our PMGs sprites.

If we have also the others have...

TOP: Use all PMGs then Bombs just P0+P1 Multicolour when bottom basket it's PM2+PM3.

Challenge? You A8 'coders' write the multiplex where the same PMG always start at the same xPosbut when it goes down then it's yPos inc increase but there's no flicker because it's always the the same but starting in different scanlines:

post-6517-0-76034500-1362158230_thumb.png

post-6517-0-38001700-1362158253_thumb.png

post-6517-0-63614400-1362158271_thumb.png

How about...

a Kaboom clone named "Wild West", written in Atari Basic many many years ago ?!?

Maybe use TB XL (or CTB or Assembler) and enhance the game with background gfx and last not least make the initializing time (18 seconds with AB) shorter than 1 second... ;-) The Atari Basic game can be played with paddle controllers...

Or how about "Popcorn" from Analog Computing ?!? Has the same gameplay, but is joystick controlled. Uses a black/blank background, maybe someone wants to enhance it... -Andreas Koch.

wildwest.zip

popcorn.zip

• Like 1

This sort of game requires paddle controllers/driving controllers. Anything else won't cut it.

Here's an idea ... sort of a Tempest-Kaboom-Gyruss, where your catching implement is on the outside of the screen, moving in a circle, and the objects you need to catch come out from the center of the screen.

my old Belljumper uses PMG bells with multiplexing, no big deal... bomber could easily fit into 1kB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OTxsjPtPzR0

-heh, that video is so old that you can see how crappy compression youtube used few years ago...

As you're a programmer who did some real nice stuff for the A8, I wonder about this statement?

Actually "Bomber" will never fit into 1k, because the picture takes more already...

José's intention is about the look of the game, without losing the "feel" of the original. This means 50Hz updates on PAL Machines, and no flicker at all. It seems possible, as 6 of those dropping bombs seem the max.

Some issues might appear in Bad lines and when a charset has to be switched. But 2 registers per scanline should be changeable without any timing problems (for the look of the bombs).

As you're a programmer who did some real nice stuff for the A8, I wonder about this statement?

Actually "Bomber" will never fit into 1k, because the picture takes more already...

José's intention is about the look of the game, without losing the "feel" of the original. This means 50Hz updates on PAL Machines, and no flicker at all. It seems possible, as 6 of those dropping bombs seem the max.

Some issues might appear in Bad lines and when a charset has to be switched. But 2 registers per scanline should be changeable without any timing problems (for the look of the bombs).

Ok, I was not talking about picture and overall GFX, but game is totally simple that it does not require much coding, thats why i wrote it can fit into 1k. its good candidate for 1k, but im not sure if game with such simple gameplay deserves cool gfx and many hours spend on design... i consider such thing as waste of time. (thats just my opinion, i did not mean to offend anybody)

• Like 1

I'm not sure the original game is something I'd pursue - if it was something where the definitive version was on the C64/NES/whatever then maybe, but I don't think I've actually played a version that feels as right as the Atari 800 version of 'Kaboom!' so it's a bit of a stretch to improve on that and the Atari already has it.

There looks like there could be some nice possibilities in Belljumper though. If you hooked up a second player and an option for platforms to collapse when you jumped on them then that combination would create quite a fun little game with lots of possibilities for maliciously screwing over the original player - something that's never going to stop being fun :)

or maybe make them clouds so you sink through them the more times they're used to enforce progress over waiting around?

or sidewinds as an extra obstacle?

That's about 30 seconds of brainstorming from me - I'm sure people could think a little more carefully and improve on those

Edited by sack-c0s

There looks like there could be some nice possibilities in Belljumper though. If you hooked up a second player and an option for platforms to collapse when you jumped on them then that combination would create quite a fun little game with lots of possibilities for maliciously screwing over the original player - something that's never going to stop being fun :)

or maybe make them clouds so you sink through them the more times they're used to enforce progress over waiting around?

That's about 30 seconds of brainstorming from me - I'm sure people could think a little more carefully and improve on those

i see you would like to turn it into Mighty Jill Off 2 :D ... but actually some of those ideas are quite good, but they would require complete change of game engine. Everything that is on screen (except score) is PMG, so there is no scroll nor videoram shift. all movement is done just by shifting PMG data, yet it moves quite much.

I will definitely think about your ideas. Thanks for inspiration.

i see you would like to turn it into Mighty Jill Off 2 :D ... but actually some of those ideas are quite good, but they would require complete change of game engine. Everything that is on screen (except score) is PMG, so there is no scroll nor videoram shift. all movement is done just by shifting PMG data, yet it moves quite much.

I will definitely think about your ideas. Thanks for inspiration.

no worries - it's just a bunch of random ideas that may or may not ever be written by anyone ever, but there's no gun to anyones head to implement anything.

people who bitch and moan like that are just sodding irritating ;)

• Like 1

no worries - it's just a bunch of random ideas that may or may not ever be written by anyone ever, but there's no gun to anyones head to implement anything.

people who bitch and moan like that are just sodding irritating ;)

So I could use your ideas and you wouldn't be angry? :ph34r:

I'm not sure the original game is something I'd pursue - if it was something where the definitive version was on the C64/NES/whatever then maybe, but I don't think I've actually played a version that feels as right as the Atari 800 version of 'Kaboom!' so it's a bit of a stretch to improve on that and the Atari already has it.

Checkout Crazy Clown Jumper fun little game once you work out how to play; features various different jumps and levels up nicely

;)

Keep up the interesting posts José :thumbsup:

Actually thinking about it the kind of ideas I have wandering around my mind probably aren't as original as I thought - I think mentally I'm possibly reimplementing a lot of elements of 'Bubble Dizzy'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kkw3TOJpWw4

Not entirely a bad thing though - although there's a lot of scope for improvement

Edited by sack-c0s

okay Emkay - explain precisely what you believe I have done wrong here, backed up by quotations from my posts.

If you can't do that then just leave the thread.

It's what you very often. Write offtopic posts that cause a thread getting off the road, and name it your opinion.

No, you don't do it obviously, it's more like a rusty hole in a pressure chamber, that no one finds on the 1st sight. In other threads you did it less obvious.

if I've done that here then you can QUOTE it. If you can't then you are just whining about nothing. I see no quotations to back you up, so I'm assuming right now that you've actually got nothing.

What I do see, however is a thread where posts #1-#9 were on topic and you came in to derail it at post #10 thus:

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :dunce: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :lol: :ponder:

:idea:

:o

:lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue: :rolling: :rolling: :lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue:

Even with this simple game it turns into the opposite.

No chance to keep the Thread in line.

You guys are great.

if I've done that here then you can QUOTE it. If you can't then you are just whining about nothing. I see no quotations to back you up, so I'm assuming right now that you've actually got nothing.

What I do see, however is a thread where posts #1-#9 were on topic and you came in to derail it at post #10 thus:

Your shifted mind is marvellous. Post 2 is already NOT answering to the Thread.

With post 6 i tried to bing the thread back to topic and then it went full off.

That's why I posted that above in post 10.... It's just too funny, as it everytime happens, when a thread has started.

btw. Do you know what you do here or not?