IGNORED

What games would you like to see released for the SGM in 2013?

opcode

What games would you like to see released for the SGM in 2013?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Select one or more games from the following list

• Zanac
    • Yie Ar Kung-Fu II: The Emperor Yie Gah
    • Ghostbusters
    • Bosconian
  2. 2. Select one game from the following list

• Gradius
    • Penguin Adventure

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

To elaborate a little more, here are some improvements I can add to the CV versions:

- Zanac: easy mode. The MSX1 Zanac was the very first Zanac. Once it was a hit on the MSX1, Compile created the Famicom Disk System and MSX2 versions. Zanac is one of my favorites MSX1 games of all time, huge and very climatic, I played it to death, but to truly appreciate the game you must play it until the final stage. Problem is, it is super hard, back from when shooting games where made for hardcore shooting fans. So adding an easy more for those of us whom are over 40 is a must.

- Yie Ar Kung Fu II: easy mode. Considerably superior to the original in every area, including difficulty. So again, easy mode is a must.

- Ghostbusters: replace bank account with SGC save capabilities (could offer 3 save slots). One of the few Activision classics never released for the CV, and a pretty fun game.

- Bosconian: nothing. Bosconian cannot get much better than the MSX1 version on the CV, so I wouldn't try to fix what isn't broken.

- Gradius: a few graphic changes to make the game closer to the arcade version. The MSX1 version is awesome, not to mention that is a 80KB game, actually bigger than the Famicom/NES version. An extra regular stage and 4 secret stages not found on any other version of the game, make Gradius MSX a blast to play, and one of the very few games have ever earned 5 stars from MSX Magazine. And did I mention it still has one of the best soundtracks ever.

- Penguin Adventure: save game, change the stupid way to get the happy ending. A true 128KB game, and a kind of sequel for Antarctic Adventure, though the stories are totally unrelated (the original Japanese title for the game is Adventure in the Dream Continent). The game is huge (24 stages) and super fun, it has racing, shooting and RPG all in one game. Oh, and Hideo Kojima was the director.

MSX Bosconian looks similar to Collectorvision's Starcom on Colecovision. Just without the voices and I think some sound effects.

I voted for Zanac and Gradius as I'm a shooter fan.

Is Vampire Killer or Contra for MSX possible on Colecovision?

Edited by grips03

MSX Bosconian looks similar to Collectorvision's Starcom on Colecovision. Just without the voices and I think some sound effects.

I voted for Zanac and Gradius as I'm a shooter fan.

Is Vampire Killer or Contra for MSX possible on Colecovision?

Vampire Killer is a MSX2 game, so a direct port isn't possible. However I still want to get Castlevania on the CV one way or another.

Whatever is settled upon for the lineup of SGM releases in 2013.... WE WIN!! I mean, how can one really choose between Gradius and Penguin Adventure? They are both equally deserving of a CV release, both are great games in their own genres, both will really shine on the CV as they do on the MSX, and on, and on. I'm more amped up for Penguin Adventure, as I have made myself known previously, but if Gradius must come first, then so be it... as long as P.A. does eventually get the CV treatment.

What about Donkey Kong Arcade? :grin:

Whatever is settled upon for the lineup of SGM releases in 2013.... WE WIN!! I mean, how can one really choose between Gradius and Penguin Adventure? They are both equally deserving of a CV release, both are great games in their own genres, both will really shine on the CV as they do on the MSX, and on, and on. I'm more amped up for Penguin Adventure, as I have made myself known previously, but if Gradius must come first, then so be it... as long as P.A. does eventually get the CV treatment.

What about Donkey Kong Arcade? :grin:

5 games this year, DKA is one of them. With the SGM I now have the infrastructure to have those games manufactured in a timely manner. In the past my two weaknesses when publishing a game were that I couldn't get Dale to commit to more than a game packaging a year, and I was too slow manufacturing the games, as boxes needed to be glued (and my boxes had 5 points that needed glue), PCBs needed to be assembled (for a MegaCart that meant almost 100 pins to be soldered), not to mention that I would spend most of my hobby time assembling and shipping games instead of actually programming Now I can get boards assembled from factory, boxes that come glued (not to mention I can do things in terms of printing that I didn't have access before, like silver printing, larger printing sizes that allow me for far cooler box designs). So now it should be just a matter of putting the PCB inside the case, closing it, sticking a label and the game is ready to ship. Dale has also committed to 5 games a year, so I think I can do it.

• Like 1

Vampire Killer is a MSX2 game, so a direct port isn't possible. However I still want to get Castlevania on the CV one way or another.

You may remember that I worked on this a couple of years ago. I recall that you didn't like the color scheme I came up with for Vampire Killer. I like it because it makes the graphics in the foreground stand out.

I also threw in a mockup of Metal Gear on the CV, just to see what it could look like. :)

post-7743-0-38478100-1362953991_thumb.png

• Like 3

You may remember that I worked on this a couple of years ago. I recall that you didn't like the color scheme I came up with for Vampire Killer. I like it because it makes the graphics in the foreground stand out.

I also threw in a mockup of Metal Gear on the CV, just to see what it could look like. :)

right side pics are CV and left are MSX2?

Pixelboy,

I believe there is a tool for the MSX that allow you to convert any graphics file to any MSX "screen mode", including TMS9928 modes. The advantage is that it can produce very efficient dithering that can mix colors to produce different hues not available in the TMS palette. I believe that is how they created The Cure graphics. Of course it is going to need some touch up, but the results are really impressive.

That.... is totally BA.

Thanks. Now tell me what you think of this one!

Makes you realize how a fresh coat of paint can make an old game inviting again, doesn't it? ;)

The screenshot on the left side is from the ZX Spectrum version, by the way.

Haha, that's fantastic! I'd sure would give that game a lot more of my limited patience if it found its way onto the CV.